GT500-a blunt instrument

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
My 2008 GT500 is rather crude but I really love it. I just finished installing a new supercharger, upper and lower pulleys, throttle body, MAF housing, injectors, upgraded fuel pump, headers and widened stock wheels with 305/35R18 Nitto NT555RII extreme track tires. I will have the final dyno tune installed this week. Should be pushing close to 700 rwhp.

If I never have to put another set of long tube headers on again, it will be too soon. I don't remember it being that difficult when I was younger.

I'm really glad I installed the lighter Innovators West crank damper to prevent my crank from splintering into a million pieces (just kidding Indy-you knew I wasn't REALLY going to let you have the last word).

0053.jpg

0015.jpg

0027.jpg

00211.jpg

0066.jpg

0086.jpg

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Sinovac, awesome work! That baby should really scream!! Like your lift too! (I love Bend Pak!)

I did a little trick on my lift for the air release. I bought an El Cheapo 5 gallon air cannister from Sears and mounted it on the wall near the lift switches. I tapped into my shop's compressed air line through a 1-way valve. The cannister always has enough air to work the lift safetys - even though I may not have the compressor on. Works well.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks!

That is an excellent idea about the tank. I intend to run a hard air line to the lift at some point. However, the tank would be much easier.

This was my best addition to the garage:
001.jpg
[/IMG]
Now when my wife kicks me out of the house I don't have to make up with her unless I need to sit down and read the newspaper.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Thanks!

That is an excellent idea about the tank. I intend to run a hard air line to the lift at some point. However, the tank would be much easier.

This was my best addition to the garage:
001.jpg
[/IMG]
Now when my wife kicks me out of the house I don't have to make up with her unless I need to sit down and read the newspaper.

Is that a combo sink/toilet? My wife almost got me one for the garage after the last time she kicked me out of the bedroom to the sofa. I really don't mind it too much, it sorta like camping.

Excellent work on the Shelby..Enjoy...

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
9 Dollar tip on the headers:) Drop the k member down and out in 35 mins, support the balencer with a exhaust jack/jack etc and headers go on in an hour:) OThER wise THEY SUCK..............

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was definitely going to ask if you installed a different balancer :lol

Nice work. Should haul some big time ass.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
9 Dollar tip on the headers:) Drop the k member down and out in 35 mins, support the balencer with a exhaust jack/jack etc and headers go on in an hour:) OThER wise THEY SUCK..............

You are right and I thought about it. But then I asked "how hard can it be" and did it the hard way. I went to court a couple days after the install and a judge I know actually asked me what happened to my hands. They looked like I had wrestled pirahnas out of an alligator's mouth. Before this experience I thought mechanic's gloves were for sissys. Now I have 2 pair.

At least the ARH headers didn't require lifting the engine to get them in the driver's side. The flanges are slotted which made it slightly easier too.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Dave,

I really like this forum. It's the only place I enjoy arguing without getting paid to do it.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Supporting the weight of the engine/tranny with the crank snout?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Yea I was too, Dave. Then realized it was Sinovac...

Very nice setup. And I like the Tungsten color. I have a stock '07 GT500 in the garage as well which is fun on the track along with the GT. Completely diffenent drive however. Very front heavy as you would expect.

I think I will heed your advice and not bang/bloody my hands up on moding this one. A trade for a new Boss 302 looks to be a better alternative next year. Riding with McGowan at VIR and Spring Mountain convinced me, This Is (almost) The One.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A trade for a new Boss 302 looks to be a better alternative next year. Riding with McGowan at VIR and Spring Mountain convinced me, This Is (almost) The One.

Definitely yes if you want to track the car. The GT500 is very heavy up front, even with the new aluminum block. There is no getting around the weight of the forced induction components. When the Boss gets into the hands of people that can really drive, many will be shocked at how well the relatively primitive solid axle can be made to handle.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Hey dude....drive by sometime.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
A trade for a new Boss 302 looks to be a better alternative next year. Riding with McGowan at VIR and Spring Mountain convinced me, This Is (almost) The One.

Hmmm. The story I got from Mark at VIR, was that it was a 'bone stock' 2011 Mustang GT. Un huh..... :rofl:rofl:rofl

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Hey dude....drive by sometime.

I will Beach.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
VMP Tuning dialed my car in on a dyno. 713 rwhp and 704 ft-lbs torque. No doubt the cool weather we are having helped, but I'll take it. If anyone needs a very good GT500 tuner, I can't recommend Justin @ VMP enough. Justin is very conservative with his tunes and takes his time. As a bonus, my indicated fuel economy increased.

Last edited:

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
+1

Justin @ VMP is the KING of the TVS.

Great numbers. Wow. 700+ ft-lbs of torque. That is awesome.

Still a little HP left under the hood. :wink

Upgrading to the larger plenum and then port matching the TVS to the plenum.

ARH headers are good but the Dynatech headers provide a little bit more HP.

Stock mufflers?

What were your boost #'s? 17?

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I heard the same thing about the Dynatechs. I went with the ARHs because I am more familiar with them (excellent quality) and I believed (rightly or wrongly) they would be easier to install. The ARHs didn't require removal of the driver's side motor mount or lifting the engine to any degree. The ARHs slid right in after removing the starter and unbolting the steering shaft from the lower joint. However, there were several flange bolts that were extremely difficult to get to and were the cause of my bloodied hands.

I am still running the stock mufflers. They sound very good with the headers and high flow cats but I get way too much popping on deceleration. Some don't mind it but I don't care for it. I'm installing Borla Touring mufflers shortly and hopefully it will go away. I understand it is a common issue with the long tube headers on the GT500.

I was pushing a little over 19 on the boost. I didn't expect it to be that high. A ported blower and plenum should yield another 30-40rwhp but I prefer not to have any more power with the stock rods. Too bad it doesn't have the GT rods. I'm already well over 800bhp and I don't want to push my luck.

I love the TVS blower whine. It sounds like jet engine.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I have the Borla Touring mufflers. Sound great. Low key until you stomp on it. They pop at first when cold, however, once they warm up, they sound great.

Wow. 19+lbs. That is hard to believe. I sometimes hit 15lbs. I basically almost have the same set up less the IW 10% under pully. hhmmmm??? I thought the IW has suppose to give you 2-3 lbs max. Also, your setup is almost identical to Justin's TVS setup and he hit 748RWHP, but I think he changed out the FI to 80's and different TB and 1-peice driveshaft. I guess when you add up those = 30+RWHP.

Jet engine = YES! It's holy sh*t, point her strait and hold on.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Greg,

I also have a slightly smaller upper pulley than yours (2.59 v. 2.65) with the 10% OD lower. I'm also running catalytic converters, albeit small ones. These, in combination, probably account for the higher boost pressure.

I'll post the dyno chart when I get home.

Justin has the GT cams, ported blower and plenum, larger injectors and TB. I think he is close to 775rwhp at this point. The GT cams have a longer duration and while he is getting more power up top, he lost an equal amount down low.

I spoke to Paul at Paul's High Performance and he recommended the fuel set up I have. I have dual 310l/hr pumps with the 60lb FRPP injectors . The driveability is excellent at all rpms. Paul builds the upgraded fuel pumps for the Ford Racing Whipple kits and, if I'm not mistaken, also does the pumps for the Cobra Jets.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
IMG.jpg
[/IMG]