GT Transmission Damage

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Thought I would share some pictures of the transmissions that we have been working with in the Texas Mile Ford GT. No doubt we have been experimenting with a couple different options and to say its been a learning curve is probably cutting it short. As many are aware we were able to run the 278mph on a stock transmission with no modifications and many would say why not keep pushing that envelope. That was a thought but in order to keep the driver as safe as possible we felt it might be a good thing to find an option that would allow the driver to at all times keep both hands on the wheel and came up with the concept of modifying the stock transmission and building all new gears that would accommodate an air shifter. Through years of testing we have been working on just that. Unfortunately, we only have 2 events a year to test this, without trying to find some private rentals, so its been a long drawn out process. At the last mile event in Texas we were able to destroy 2 transmissions which included the purpose built air shifter as well as a stock transmission. If you will see in the pictures below, we have both the air shifter along with a stock transmission crated up ready to go back to our builder for analysis. The first picture shows the centerplate inside the transmission which is out of the air shifter that has been completely shattered and seems to be the week spot at this point in this type of application. The fix seems to be a rebuild with a new billet center plate along with all new 4/6 gear. The last picture is the stock transmission with what seems to be the snap ring being pushed out/ bent flat underneath the 5th gear. When the stock transmission broke, the car was still able to run a 273mph pass but obviously something was going on with 5th gear which was the final gear to complete the pass. As the event gets closer in April, we will hopefully have something worked out but if not, the stock transmission has seem to do the job just find for the 278mph pass so hats off to Ricardo for a well built gear box!!!!

Mark Heidaker
M2K Motorsports, LLC
281-346-8114 Shop

Attachments

• Double Transmission.jpg
    Double Transmission.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 527
  • Middle Plate of GT Tranny.JPG
    Middle Plate of GT Tranny.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 533
  • Snap Ring.jpg
    Snap Ring.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 535

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Keep working Mark to find us another option for years to come!!

DieselDr

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2014
Texas
looks like trans installer error to me.....

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Trans installer??? That would be me and I know that's not possible...

Keep the miles low on my car, heard you been driving it daily....

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Parts break even below 200!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 430

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
Trans installer??? That would be me and I know that's not possible...

Keep the miles low on my car, heard you been driving it daily....

Mark, I love to work on all my cars as much as I can, and I enjoy it so much. From a '29 to a '14. That's what I retired at 51 to do. But, what you are doing is not a step above, but a floor above, what I am doing.

I'm so jealous.

Dolph

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wow, that does really put the Ricardo in a special class of OEM parts. The stuff you broke doesn't look weak or cheap! Good luck at the mile.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I am just n awe of our FGTs. Amazing you could go 278 in a mile with a stock trans. Wow. And, with one hand on the wheel while shifting. You sir have no fear.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool cars we have!

Ed

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Thought I would share some pictures of the transmissions that we have been working with in the Texas Mile Ford GT. No doubt we have been experimenting with a couple different options and to say its been a learning curve is probably cutting it short. As many are aware we were able to run the 278mph on a stock transmission with no modifications and many would say why not keep pushing that envelope. That was a thought but in order to keep the driver as safe as possible we felt it might be a good thing to find an option that would allow the driver to at all times keep both hands on the wheel and came up with the concept of modifying the stock transmission and building all new gears that would accommodate an air shifter. Through years of testing we have been working on just that. Unfortunately, we only have 2 events a year to test this, without trying to find some private rentals, so its been a long drawn out process. At the last mile event in Texas we were able to destroy 2 transmissions which included the purpose built air shifter as well as a stock transmission. If you will see in the pictures below, we have both the air shifter along with a stock transmission crated up ready to go back to our builder for analysis. The first picture shows the centerplate inside the transmission which is out of the air shifter that has been completely shattered and seems to be the week spot at this point in this type of application. The fix seems to be a rebuild with a new billet center plate along with all new 4/6 gear. The last picture is the stock transmission with what seems to be the snap ring being pushed out/ bent flat underneath the 5th gear. When the stock transmission broke, the car was still able to run a 273mph pass but obviously something was going on with 5th gear which was the final gear to complete the pass. As the event gets closer in April, we will hopefully have something worked out but if not, the stock transmission has seem to do the job just find for the 278mph pass so hats off to Ricardo for a well built gear box!!!!

Mark Heidaker
M2K Motorsports, LLC
281-346-8114 Shop

Hope I was able to help Mark. Good Luck!

scott

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Thanks for the help for sure. I would say I will try not to bother you again but I know that's not true... I didn't even asked if you had that mid plate available....

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
never a problem- anytime I can help