GT Spinner Desk Ornament

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
GT Spinner paper weight.jpg

Last week at the MCA Grand National if was looking through the venders for FGT items. Came across this ornament/paper weight. True or False, the vender said they were handed out as a Ford press conference along with a letter telling the story of the lost wheel spinner at a race that caused the front wheel to come off and a spectator saw and stole the spinner as a race souvenir. I did a little research and found that the Whitmore driven GT111 lost a wheel spinner on lap 3 at Targa Florio on May 9th, 1965 ant that a Sicilian spectator stole some of the parts.

Anyone know anything about the spinner/ornament and the story behind it? If there was such a letter that was included with the gift I would like to get a copy of it. As you can guess I used my superb negotiating skills to get to and acceptable price and now have it in my FGT collection.

Any additional information will be appreciated.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
View attachment 26109

Last week at the MCA Grand National if was looking through the venders for FGT items. Came across this ornament/paper weight. True or False, the vender said they were handed out as a Ford press conference along with a letter telling the story of the lost wheel spinner at a race that caused the front wheel to come off and a spectator saw and stole the spinner as a race souvenir. I did a little research and found that the Whitmore driven GT111 lost a wheel spinner on lap 3 at Targa Florio on May 9th, 1965 ant that a Sicilian spectator stole some of the parts.

Anyone know anything about the spinner/ornament and the story behind it? If there was such a letter that was included with the gift I would like to get a copy of it. As you can guess I used my superb negotiating skills to get to and acceptable price and now have it in my FGT collection.

Any additional information will be appreciated.

I have one with the piece of paper that comes with it. Don't remember it being a story of the spinner coming off. One of the funnier things that I got from a package of stuff I bought was the GT40 Drink recipe :)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Chrome GT Coolant cap make good paper weight too

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Thanks for the reply 427 Aggie. If it is not a lot of trouble could you PDF a copy of the letter to me, blake@biginch.net to complete the item?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I think that there were spinners that were part of a Introduction Press Kit given to auto writers, as I recall from my OLD Memory of previously posts. Tomy

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Original press kit paperweight from 2002 said GT40 not Ford GT, if that's the event they claim is was from.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
These were given out as press goodies. They came in a black velvet bag with purse strings. There was a press packet, but I've never heard of such a letter other than press release stuff. Have been on e-bay from time to time for under $100.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
These were given out as press goodies. They came in a black velvet bag with purse strings. There was a press packet, but I've never heard of such a letter other than press release stuff. Have been on e-bay from time to time for under $100.

You mean like a Crown Royal bottle? Velvet bag but no press packet :)

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

I have two of these spinners. One says Ford GT and the other GT40 in the centers. Both look ~the same, though the GT40 one is more substantial than the other.

I am under the impression that the GT40 spinner was included in the Press Kits when first announced and the mockups were making the rounds at the auto shows in 2004. The Ford GT spinner was included in Press Kits when actual running versions were presented to the automotive press.

I could be wrong......................

BTW - I have seen them go on EBay for $300+

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I got one with the Press Kit I have... No letter as described...