GT race brakes

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Just posted some photo's of my new A.P. racing brakes I just finished if your interested, brake sizes are on the photo's
:cheers Neil

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Just posted some photo's of my new A.P. racing brakes I just finished if your interested, brake sizes are on the photo's

Neil

Very, very impressive. Thanks for the pix

Dave

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

How noticeable is the braking improvement ? Would this setup be acceptable on a street car??

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Bigger brakes don't stop cars faster.

The first step in reducing stopping distance is bigger, stickier tires. The next step would be to analyze if the rear bias is at its optimal. Usually the manufacturer will set the rear bias below its threshold for safe stopping so that the rear brakes don't lock-up first.

The benefit of larger rotors is to be able to handle and shed heat faster, so that the brake fluid doesn't boil and cause brake fade. Usually beneficial in road racing where you dive into the corner and brake late, hard, and often.

Surprisingly, lowering the car improves stopping distance. Lower center of gravity and less weight transfer to the front tires, so that the rear tires are weighted more and provide more road friction Sorry for being so analytical.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
How noticeable is the braking improvement ? Would this setup be acceptable on a street car??

No this would be far to much for a street setup, this setup is for 6 hour races where brake temps reach 800 deg c ,please note this is designed for a race setup with many other changes in suspension/weight/geometry/tyres/aero etc to complement this brake package.:cheers
Neil

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005

Stormcat

Most brake manufacturers that offer race pads speciifically state they are not for street use. As Neil mentioned much higher levels of heat are required for race pads to be truly effective. Even high speed driving events may not generate enough heat, depending upon driving style/agressiveness.

Also rotor wear is generally increased when using race pads.

Those that use race pads on the street are creating an unsafe situation IMO.

Dave

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Stormcat

Most brake manufacturers that offer race pads speciifically state they are not for street use. As Neil mentioned much higher levels of heat are required for race pads to be truly effective. Even high speed driving events may not geenrate enough ehat, depending upon driving style/agressiveness.

Also rotor wear is generally increased when using race pads.

Those that use race pads on the street are creating an unsafe situation IMO.

Dave

Yes. In the past I found that out. While the race pads worked OK for street driving, more pedal pressure was needed until the pads and rotors warmed up. That was not a big problem since the cars could still stopped very well and activated the anti-locks. But my 1st time in the rain a different story, the car had ZERO braking for about 25 to 50 feet at a slow speed of about 35 mph. It work much like bicycle rim brakes on chrome rim.

I changed them before I took the car out on the street again.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for the info...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I am not a technician (by any means) so excuse the uninformed questions, but... Why do those rotors only have divots in them for ventilation and not holes? It seems like a flat surface would give you maximum braking and holes would give you the best ventilation. What gives?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I am not a technician (by any means) so excuse the uninformed questions, but... Why do those rotors only have divots in them for ventilation and not holes? It seems like a flat surface would give you maximum braking and holes would give you the best ventilation. What gives?

Holes have a tendecy to allow cracks to form. The cracks radiate from the outer edges of the holes.

Slots or dimples are felt to be more effective in letting gases escape as the brakes are used. Thus this is the preferred method.

Hope this helps.

Dave

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
In every day driving the brake assembly doesn't usually get very hot. Drilling for gas and brake pad dust removal (or looks) would probably be ok. But in a race application slotting is usually better for the reason mentioned in previous post.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Very interesting, thank you both for the quick answers.