Gt Quality Problems

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I am close to buying a new GT Probably Fall 2005 Production. I was talking to a local ford dealer who sells GT's today and he was telling me that the GT's have alot of Quality issues like Oil leaks and Paint problems. Do any of the current GT owners agree with this??? Have you experienced any problems that I should be aware of before purchasing? Thanks

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Easiest way is to do a search using key words like paint, oil, leak, problem, etc. That way you can decide for yourself.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There are certainly a fair amount of problems. Paint, oil, various other TSB's. Some inexcusable, some par for the exotic course. A p.i.t.a no doubt, but comes with the 150k territory, especially considering the drastically shortened developement schedule. I'd say the issues are commensurate with what you'd see with a Ferrari, but more than a standard Porsche (at least from the people I know who've owned both).

I think the more pertinent question would be "would any of the problems keep you from buying the car again?"

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
If you expect it to be perfect, you will be dissapointed. Yes, it should be perfect, it could be perfect, for $165,000 it better be perfect, uh huh, we all know the story. But bottom line, it won't be perfect, but it WILL be exciting, rewarding, intoxicating, beautiful and fast, satisfying, etc, etc. And thats what you really want.

I'd avoid one with a speedy sleeve, or other recall cars, but other than that, the best you can do is to just go ahead and buy one.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Yup...
What he said.........
I would do it all over again, and I bought in July at MSRP + Dealer Bone.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Vic said:
If you expect it to be perfect, you will be dissapointed. Yes, it should be perfect, it could be perfect, for $165,000 it better be perfect, uh huh, we all know the story. But bottom line, it won't be perfect, but it WILL be exciting, rewarding, intoxicating, beautiful and fast, satisfying, etc, etc. And thats what you really want.

I'd avoid one with a speedy sleeve, or other recall cars, but other than that, the best you can do is to just go ahead and buy one.

While I agree concerning the speedy sleeve repair, those recalled because of the suspension I believe are more desirable. The suspension piece is stronger, nicer lokking etc. But if you are buying new neither should be an issue if its a 2006. Also don't expect that the dealer has had the non-recall problems taken care of before selling, be sure to ask.

Dave

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There were a couple of minor paint flaws with mine - but only seen with an eagle eye under strong sunlight!

But as has already been said here, you get this with Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston, Maserati etc.

Having reversed mine today (very gently) into a wooden post at a the pit lane paddock of a racing circuit today :frown and picked up a tiny mark on the fender.... I kind of think if you're going to use these cars, they're going to pick up signs of use. So the odd microscopic paint flaw soon becomes meaningless.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Your Buying A Piece Of History

Your buying a piece of history, in 30 years if you have one of the first couple hundred , they could be worth more , with the little imperfections , chalk markings, sleeves, ect. if your driving and enjoying an 05 anything past 750 is bullet proof. so like the rest , jump in and drive,, tomorrow never knows, p.s.try your first donut in the snow its fun, just like a snow blower.....gtjoey 1314 and loving it. :biggrin :thumbsup

GT703

GT Owner
Oct 17, 2005
Pennsylvania
If you want "perfection"....Buy a toyota

:biggrin If the car 'speaks to you' like it does to me, buy it!

I have had many imperfect cars but like women and friends, their 'flaws' only enhance the experience. In other words, buy with your heart NOT your mind or you'll wind up with a something boring!!

PS-I have never before paid a "dealer premium" (even on new Ferraris) but for THIS car it was worth it. I have no regrets....

Last edited:

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
In the snow?

gtjoey said:
Your buying a piece of history, in 30 years if you have one of the first couple hundred , they could be worth more , with the little imperfections , chalk markings, sleeves, ect. if your driving and enjoying an 05 anything past 750 is bullet proof. so like the rest , jump in and drive,, tomorrow never knows, p.s.try your first donut in the snow its fun, just like a snow blower.....gtjoey 1314 and loving it. :biggrin :thumbsup

GTjoey, I am assuming you are kidding. Are you? Did you really take it out and do donuts in the snow? Any more than 4 inches and it would be pushing a like a plow. :cheers

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
I have an early car that had all the tsb and recalls issues. After 12,000 very hard miles, the car has performed flawlessly. The engine behaves even better now (after the break-in). The clutch is still fine, brakes very little wear. Absolutely no issues at all. The recalls and tsb's are really meaningless (they had problems, then they fixed them...so what?). They might devalue the car slightly, but if you're going to keep the car it shouldn't matter. The nice thing about the recalls is that at least Ford does recalls...I know Ferrari and Lambo owners who's speedometers read 5% to 7% and they won't even fix them.

The paint is not exotic car quality, but it's reasonably close. The body panels do have a few inperfections (especially when materials were attached to the underside too snugly, etc.)

If the question is: which exotic is best to buy, considering maintenance, the GT is the obvious choice. If you want bang for the buck (non-exotic), driving experience for the buck, then buy a Boxster S, Viper or a Z06. If you want shock value, exclusivity, and thumbs up from 15 years olds through 70 year olds, then it's the GT.

Maintenance is high on Ferrari and Lambo, plus any most areas you'll have to flat-bed them somewhere. Obviously I'd love to have a Ferrari and a Lambo, but given one choice for a car that I plan to drive it has to be a GT. Not to mention resale value...I think there is a chance GT values will go up later, whereas you know for certain the others will go down.

I paid about 100k more than I should have for mine but I am still very happy with it. It really is an impressive car. The only cars that get as much attention on the road I think would be a McLaren, Saleen S7 or an Enzo. And those are $400k to $1 million.

Ferraris and Lambo are awesome and they have some things to offer that the GT doesn't, but overall if you want a car that grabs attention, is easy to drive and maintain, and performs well then the GT is a good choice.

teflon

Nov 11, 2005
2005gt said:
...I know Ferrari and Lambo owners who's speedometers read 5% to 7% and they won't even fix them.

Having an inaccurate speedometer isn't exclusive to Ferrari and Lamborghini. And why bother having it fixed?

That doesn't really seem to be that big of an issue.

Greg A

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
If the question is: which exotic is best to buy, considering maintenance, the GT is the obvious choice. If you want bang for the buck (non-exotic), driving experience for the buck, then buy a Boxster S, Viper or a Z06. If you want shock value, exclusivity, and thumbs up from 15 years olds through 70 year olds, then it's the GT.

I absolutely agree. I'm not sure that it will appreciate in value but maybe in a few years. I also have an early car and although I don't have as many miles as you, I haven't had any problems either ( other than my own fault). This is a world class car at a reasonable price considering the performance and rarity. I probably would never have owned a Lambo or Ferrari just because I'm 150 miles from the nearest dealer and I drive my cars every day. The inconvenience of maintenance prevents me from considering those exotics. Local maintenance was one of the major factors in my buying decision and I have not been disappointed. So far this car has been one of the most fun purchases I have ever made. God bless us everyone and Merry Christmas!!! :banana :banana :banana

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
teflon said:
Having an inaccurate speedometer isn't exclusive to Ferrari and Lamborghini. And why bother having it fixed?

That doesn't really seem to be that big of an issue.

Greg A

Hi Greg- I agree it's not that important of an issue...wouldn't detract very much from my driving pleasure. But I would say that I would not want my Ferrari service manager to tell me it does not seem to be that big of an issue.

Part of the appeal of a Ferrari (or Lambo) over a Vette, Viper, etc is superior quality. I and many others think an accurate speedometer would be a no-brainer...most people would expect an accurate speedometer in a car in which speed itself is one of the main attractions.

Having said all that, I love driving Ferraris as much as anyone...it's just frustrating to hear others bash the GT's supposed problems when other car companies sometimes seem less than eager to take care of problems. In other words, if we harp on car companies for having a lot of recalls, perhaps they will be inclined to not issue a recall in the first place in order to save face by refusing to acknowledge the problems.

I for one am glad to see some recalls on the GT, as it is a sign that Ford wants the car owners to be happy.

I wasn't trying to say anything bad in particular about Ferrari or Lambo..I was trying relay an interesting point that has many people that I know feeling a little bitter. Overall all the people I know are still glad they bought those cars, and I would not consider an issue to worry about. But I admit I would be puzzled as to why my speedo has to read 76 when I'm doing 71, in a $150k car.

There's nothing worse than someone talking bad about the car you spent $$$$$$ on...so I will watch my words in the future. I am very sorry if I offended anyone. Ferrari and Lambo are still on my list of cars I need to buy someday!!! :cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
...I'm just worried now that the just over 200mph I had on my Murcielago once might be inaccurate! :biggrin

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Brilliant Posts !!!
Yup ,I paid over MSRP and I would do again today.
I love this car.