GT Owners (2nd gen): Would you invest in Mk2 mods (engine upgrade/roof scoop/others) if Ford offered these?

DontHateThaGame

Sep 4, 2019
I’m a journo and will drive the GT later today. I’d like to know if the desire for such upgrades is there, so I can discuss this with Ford. Thanks

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
While you're at it, ask about any possible enhancements for the '21 and '22 models. Those with allocations for those years will be looking at cars that are 5-6 years old, with technology older than that. For the $ they will no doubt be charging by then, some sort of improvements should be available in the new base model, or at least optional as you suggest.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Huh?

Interesting 1st post here. Welcome.

I’m a journo

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I would go for the bigger trunk upgrade.

Reactions: Ed Sims and Apollo

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
I would love my Gulf edition to have some of the race car features. Roof scoop in particular.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I would go for the bigger trunk upgrade.
If I went with that then Heidi would always want to go with me!

Ed

Reactions: Special K

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
The following is my OPINION based on some facts I learned while experiencing the car first hand. I was lucky enough to be able to show the new Mark II (on behalf of Ford) at the Quail a couple weeks ago. The first question I asked (of the representative from Multimatic) was could I get a roof scoop on my upcoming 2019 Heritage edition. Turns out it would be complex upgrade and probably not likely to happen. There are 2 "coolers" in the left rear quarter of the street car. These were moved on the race car to the center rear of the car (If I remember, replacing the massive trunk space) and are fed cool air directly by the roof scoop. Re-locating these is not a simple task. In theory I suspect you could put on a "fake" roof scoop but this would actually slow down the car and have no positive effect. Seems like the horsepower upgrade and weight reduction aspects might be more straightforward possibilities. The aero additions, (dive planes, nolders, Front and rear diffusers) look fabulous but render the car un-driveable on the street in any meaningful way. it's simply Too Low. I must admit I really loved the look with the roof scoop and would love to see that as an option but I won't hold my breath....

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Some Ford Race Performance mods, as with the 05/06 would be well received.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’m doing the Heffner exhaust.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
the vents above the front fenders...new diffuser, weight reduction, widebody version?lol

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
Is any one aware of any changes incorporated in the latest NGT compared to the earliest ones ?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I’m doing the Heffner exhaust.
I agree, the exhaust sounds awesome on the mark 2. But the cats would also need to be removed to mimic the sound of the mark 2 and I believe the turbos are different as well.

Reactions: Ed Sims

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
well mine is going on tomorrow . I'll do a video clip of both systems

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
While you're at it, ask about any possible enhancements for the '21 and '22 models. Those with allocations for those years will be looking at cars that are 5-6 years old, with technology older than that. For the $ they will no doubt be charging by then, some sort of improvements should be available in the new base model, or at least optional as you suggest.

I sure hope there will be upgrades made As well as new base colors.

The C8 Z06 and ZR1 by 2021-22 going to be quite the “BEASt” . I hope Ford doesn’t fall behind.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I like my GT exactly like it is.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I like my GT exactly like it is.
+1
The aero additions, (dive planes, nolders, Front and rear diffusers) look fabulous but render the car un-driveable on the street in any meaningful way. it's simply Too Low.
Absolutely correct.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The Mark2 actually does have cats
So here’s my take on Jason Heffner‘s pipes
They sound awesome they’re much more gurgly they pop more in the overall sound is much throatier
A huge benefit is getting rid of that big exhaust can in the back my transmission is literally running 10 to 20° cooler
My engine is running cooler as well
The actual pipes that come out around the body are actually titanium as opposed to the stock titanium exhaust in which they are not.
The pipes also have a slightly larger diameter to them as well as you can see in the picture I will post.
The only way to really hear the difference is under power not sitting at an idle trying to just rev it

Attachments

• 041183C5-C1BA-48ED-9B21-BD25CD1083BF.jpeg
    041183C5-C1BA-48ED-9B21-BD25CD1083BF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • AFF315CB-4B4F-46DA-BB53-71D55E50CAC8.jpeg
    AFF315CB-4B4F-46DA-BB53-71D55E50CAC8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Is any one aware of any changes incorporated in the latest NGT compared to the earliest ones ?
Titanium exhaust is now standard

Reactions: GTMD