GT in September Road & Track

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Ford GT in September Road & Track

September issue of Road & Track has a feature that pits the American sports cars (Viper, Z06 and GT) Against the best from Europe (Gallardo, new 911 Turbo and the F430).

The resutls are too comprehensive for me to list here, but the GT had the best 1/4 mile time (11.7 secs.), trap speed (126.1mph), 0-60 (3.8secs.), 0-100 (8.2secs.), 0-100-0 (12.4) and top speed (204.4mph).

The good thing about this article is all the cars were tested on the SAME day under virtually the SAME conditions, so direct comparisons of the performance of these cars is more meaningful.

Eric

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
well if GT beat all in 1/4 mile that means it beat them for 0-60 and 0-100 to but it probably lost 0-100-0 and then won the topspeed test.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
FordGTguy,

The GT WON the 0-100-0 test as well.

There really was no overall "ranking" per se. They did say the Viper was the best American car at the track and the Ferrari the best European at the track.

Keep in mind the GT was the same red press car that has been BEAT to Hell over the last year and a half and STILL won most performance categories.

Eric

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
The 430 or Gallardo beating the GT by 2 seconds a lap on a minute + course doesn't sound right. I guess I will have to see the article before I can comment.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Lap times were rigged

The comparison was pretty well fixed by the different tires on the cars. The two best lap times were by the cars that had P Zero Corsa tires. Last I looked, the Ferrari normally comes with Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A tires and the Gallardo with Pirelli Rossos.
The P Zero Corsa is Pirelli's DOT-legal Competition tire primarily developed for use on high performance cars at drivers' schools and lapping days conducted on race tracks. The P Zero Corsa incorporates Pirelli's racing experience to enhance driving satisfaction at the limits of performance.
Also known as DOT track tires, they have a 60 treadwear (softness) rating, one of the lowest, which means soft and sticky. By contrast, the Goodyears on the GT have a 220 treadwear (softness) rating and are real street tires.

Comments by P Zero Corsa owners:
I used these tires on my 911 RSR 3.6 for track use only at VIR. I was able to catch other instructors on slicks in GT3 and factory 993 cup cars.
I use these tires for road racing and have been impressed with their performance. My lap times improved by over 2 seconds which gave me a 4th, two 2nds and a first place in class during last four races. They seem to outlast any racing slick such as Hoosiers...I have race 6 races on these tires and could still race two more. I will continue to use these as my race tires.

Looks to me that the GT could have been cheated by as much as 3 seconds a lap, depending on the condition of the old press car that they dug up.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Excellent post and great research, Bart.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Bart,
good one. I have Bridgestone on my 360 spider and on the new 430 spider just delivered, and Pirelli Pzero Corsa on the Stradale.

Next order I will explicitely request Pirellis.. Once the Bridgestones get warm on the track, you slide like they'd be underinflated..

Same result in Clarkson's Topgear, where the Stradale was faster than the 430, despite having quite less horses under the hood, explained 'due to the Bridgestones on the 430' vs the P zeros....

No further comment :thumbsdow

cheers

Stefan

I wonder what the Pirellis will do to the GT !?

2005FordGT

Ford GT. It's The One.
Aug 8, 2005
New York
I thought something looked strange when I read the article. I was very dissapointed at the results from R&T from the GT, but looking at the facts it's easy to see where the time went! Is every magazine slightly against Ford or something. When they have a chance to be fair they completely screw it up.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Wouldn't read too much into the track lap times. So many factors to control from the type of tires to tire pressures type of course and condition of the course and the actual driver etc. Bottom line is tires have a lot to do with track times. If it is any consolation, the stig on top gear got better lap times in the gt compared to most of the cars tested in Road and Track. Bottom line is the gt runs with the best of them and conquers in many categories.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
I now have Pirelli Pcorsas on the rear of my GT. With the stock Goodyear's, the car went 11.3 in the quarter, as recorded in a Motor Trend article. A few months later, with no engine mods, and Pirellis we took the car to Toronto and the ran a 10.97.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I feel that some type of communication to R&T should be done. Letters to the editor? They should at least acknowledge the difference. For instance Car and Driver noted that the Lotus they tested against other cars had the sticky track tires.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
californiacuda said:
I now have Pirelli Pcorsas on the rear of my GT. With the stock Goodyear's, the car went 11.3 in the quarter, as recorded in a Motor Trend article. A few months later, with no engine mods, and Pirellis we took the car to Toronto and the ran a 10.97.

are you saying that your stock GT went 10.97 with a tire swap only or does "no engine mods" mean just pulley and tune?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
CaliforniaCuda's car IS MODDED (californiacuda can elaborate).

What he meant is that with no ADDITIONAL mods, his car went 0.33 seconds faster in the quarter because of a simple tire change.

Eric

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
That is correct, thanks for making my post clearer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's funny how magazines have become such internet fodder, especially for people who will never own most of these cars. I don't think if I ever see a F430, Gallardo or 997 Turbo on the street we'll argue who can get a rag editor to turn a better lap time. All these things are so close that it's academic for the most part. I think everyone on this particular board just bought what appeals to them most (and that happens to also be the fastest of this group...212 mph, bitches :lol). I'm sure that was the case with most of those other cars.

The tire thing is stupid though. You can't handicap factory cars with hard ass street tires against dot legal softies.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I just sent an email to the editors of Road and Track pointing out the flaw in the results. Anyway, everybody knows Road and Track thinks Ferrari walks on water, and this certainly isn't the first time they have scewed the results of a test in Ferrari's favor. Just makes them lose more credibility in the real sports car world.

My favorite car magazine is EVO, and not because the love the GT. I firmly believe that for years they have tried to get the truth out about sports cars as fair as they can. I have owned other cars over the years that EVO has downgraded, but I had to admit they were right in their comments in most cases. In this case with Road & Track it's a simple case of favoritism.

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
It was a pretty good article but the track was so damn small so the Ford GT couldn't spread its legs. Plus it was a F430 F1.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Gulf GT,
Thanks for writing Road and Track. I was about to pen an e-mail to them myself (may still do it).

FordGTGuy,
What is the difference between a "plain" F430 and an F430 F1?

Eric

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I have a good friend who is a car enthusiast. His current passion is for (I'll use a neologism so that no one can determine the car he actually owns) a Korbett G-06. I trust that this is sufficiently obscure.

His love for this car is entirely based upon magazine articles which tout its lap, 0-60, and quarter mile times. He will use his own G-06 for none of these things, but, nonetheless, what the magazines print is the defacto gospel.

Whether the magazines indicate that his G-06 will do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds...or 4.1 seconds...can make or break his day. He and I have a mutual friend who feels exactly the same way. Both of these men are very successful in the business community and can well afford to trade their cars frequently and eagerly do so.

The complete lack of science behind road tests is irrelevant to them...or perhaps misunderstood. They do not care that there are no double blind, yoked control, analysis of covariance or multifactorial regression analyses utilized. They do not care if the drivers differ in age or weight nor do they care about the altitude, relative humidity or temperature of track conditions. They do not care if the driver has seasonal allergies, descending hemmorhoids or is arears in child support.

They simply care that the car they currently own was, by someone in some magazine on some date, shown to be the quickest or fastest...or at least reported as having been.

They make purchase decisions based upon these commercial tabloids.

They are placated by favorable reviews and traumatized by critical ones.

They use terms such as muscular, aggressive, and menacing. They also refer to their cars as "she" and "her." (I do not know if they see the contradiction in those two frames of reference, and I am uncertain as to whether they send Hallmark cards to their cars.) I just know that, to them, these articles are extremely, life-changingly important.

Now, true clinical studies are quite a bit different than this. You cannot simply write an article that proposes that Zoloft results in less erectile dysfunction than does Paxil when treating major depressive disorder. Indeed, you must have the article peer-reviewed, edited and then critiqued (and quite often rejcted/re-edited/resubmitted) before your findings are considered worthy of publication...if ever.

And you are enjoined to reveal any ties that the researchers have to the pharmaceutical (or surgical instrument) company or its competitors and, of course, whether the research was based upon grant monies funded from the same corporations.

These, ideally, provide the public with a buffer between the goals of selling a product and the safety/sanity of manufacturing claims.

Now, why does this not occur when a Ferrari slanted, Chevrolet biased, or German advocating, publication prints road tests? Well, simply because it is simply a magazine that represents a hobby. Hopefully, the hobbyist has more of a life than just his hobby and can keep all of that well within proportion.

Ron Popeil and Ronco cannot review medications.

They can, if they wish to do so, review cars.

Car magazines can be entertaining, and, with some publications, you can increase your accumen of data and nosology. Magazines are meant to be fun, and many of them are.

Hobbies are not life; they are what we do with what little time the true committments of life permit us.

- doc

Last edited:

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
eshrink said:
Now, true clinical studies are quite a bit different than this. You cannot simply write an article that proposes that Zoloft results in less erectile dysfunction than does Paxil when treating major depressive disorder. Indeed, you must have the article peer-reviewed, edited and then critiqued (and quite often rejcted/re-edited/resubmitted) before your findings are considered worthy of publication...if ever.

Doc,

I'm laughing out loud right now!

Rob