ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

In my opinion, the best thing about any gathering of Ford GT Forum Members is that they are all exceptional individuals in many different ways. The GT obviously appeals to accomplished, interesting men who have a story to tell. But even in this august group a few owners really stand out. I spent my day today with the GT Forums fastest man and the only active duty armed services member in our ranks, United States Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel Jason Waldron (call sign and GT Forum name "Waldo"). For the last two years Jason has been commander of Marine Attack Squadron 214 based in Yuma, Arizona. They are better known as the Black Sheep Squadron that was formed during World War II in the Pacific by Pappy Boyington. Lots of World War II photos of Boyington and his squadron mates flying Corsairs adorn the hangar walls. Jason and his squadron fly Harrier jump jets today (that can take off and land vertically like a helicopter) and they are also taking delivery and bringing into service the brand-new vertical takeoff version of the F-35. Jason assumed command of the Black Sheep when their previous commander was killed in an ambush of their base in Afghanistan. After being deployed countless times and having spent years away from his wife and two beautiful children, Jason will be retiring in the months to come after serving 21 years. I am honored that he invited Susan and I to attend his change of command ceremony today. Involving nearly 300 Marines and with three Marine Generals in attendance including a 3-star, the proceedings were very moving, beautiful, and meaningful.

Jason’s silver/black stripe GT was parked outside hangar 78 and his personal squadron AV-8B Harrier was parked inside the hangar. Jason’s name was painted on the left side of the canopy and, carrying on a squadron Commander tradition, the name of the squadron’s first Commander was painted on the right-hand side of the canopy, Major Pappy Boyington. When the ceremony was finished Jason gave me a personal tour of his aircraft and then we all drove over to the Officers Club where food and beverages were served.

I flew my Glasair III to Yuma and it was the first time I had flown into that base since I performed in their airshows during the late 90s. From 1996 to 1999 the United States Navy’s F-14 Tomcat airshow demonstration pilot was Dale Snodgrass. Dale and I got to know each other well and while talking to Jason I was very surprised when Dale walked up and said hello. He had flown into the base to attend the ceremony in an A-4 Skyhawk and we had a good time catching up.

Jason’s beautiful wife, son, and daughter were all there and are looking forward to having Jason around a bit more after he retires and moves to Texas to work for Lockheed Martin.

In any event, Semper Fidelis and a huge thank you for your service from all of us Jason. God bless you and the United States Marine Corps. All the best.

Chip

Attachments

• Jason 1.jpg
    Jason 1.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 621
  • Jason 2.jpg
    Jason 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 601
  • Jason 3.jpg
    Jason 3.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 618
  • Jason 4.jpg
    Jason 4.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 613
  • Jason 5x.jpg
    Jason 5x.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Attachments

• Jason 6.jpg
    Jason 6.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 626
  • Jason 7.jpg
    Jason 7.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 512
  • Jason 8.jpg
    Jason 8.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 531
  • Jason 9.jpg
    Jason 9.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 595
  • Jason 10.jpg
    Jason 10.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 601

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Attachments

• Jason 11.jpg
    Jason 11.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 606
  • Jason 12.jpg
    Jason 12.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 588
  • Jason 13.jpg
    Jason 13.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 581
  • Jason 14.jpg
    Jason 14.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 517
  • Jason 15.jpg
    Jason 15.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 612

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Attachments

• Jason 16.jpg
    Jason 16.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Jason 17.jpg
    Jason 17.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 602

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks for sharing, Chip. Thank you for your service, Colonel Waldron. God Bless you and the United States of America.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Wow thats so cool ! I knew Waldo was a Marine Pilot but not Commander of the infamous Black sheep squadron! Having met Waldo at our rallies I can attest that he his just simply a class act and a really nice guy! Waldo congratulations,it must have a been a very special day for you and your family .I am truely happy for you.
Now as I ask you every year since we met.Are you going to make it to the rally this year ???? I don’t think you will have any trouble getting free drinks! I’ll also volunteer to be your personal instructor at the track event!
My very best regards to you! Ron

Last edited:

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Fantastic write up as always Chip. I met Jason at my one and only Rally. I was snapping his wife, as anyone would love to :), and got chatting to Jason. Very. Laid back, very cool, then when I found out he flew Harriers, and told him my father built the originals in the UK, we were chatting for ages.

Enjoy civilian life and your family. I hope to meet you again at another Rally.

Steven

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for sharing, Chip. Thank you for your service, Colonel Waldron. God Bless you and the United States of America.

+1

Thank you Lt. Col. Waldron for keeping us safe. We all wish you and your family all the best in your next chapter.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Great story about a great forum member by another great forum member!

Thank you both Waldo and Chip!!!!

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Great write up Chip thanks for sharing it with us and Thanks to Waldo for his service

Nice color GT too :thumbsup

Tomcat

GT Owner
Semper Fi and congratulations Waldo and great story Chip.
My Brother "Bio" Dave Baranek and I, "Biff", were Tomcat RIOs (both retired) and I knew OF Capt. (I believe) Snodgrass.
You are flying in rarified company!
Waldo, I retired as an AEDO (Aerospace Engineering Duty Officer) and worked with lots of Lockheed-Martin people. Good Luck...you are in good company!
Check six!

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Awesome experience Chip! And many thanks again for your service Waldo!! The airport up here in N. Idaho is call Pappy Boyington Field (Coeur d'Alene) due to this being his home town, his colorful career and devotion to country are is still discussed regularly. Thanks for the post!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Thank you Waldo for your service. Best of luck in your new "career", and more importantly, enjoy the time with your family, they grow up so fast. Thank you to Chip for sharing!!

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Great post Chip. A very happy "retirement" to Lt. Colonel Waldron. Thank you for service.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
congrats Waldo and thank you.

Ironically enough I also "retired" yesterday.....

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
congrats Waldo and thank you.

Ironically enough I also "retired" yesterday.....

Congrats to you Mad in N C, I have about three months to go and will semi retire (will be consulting)

FordGT4fun

thanks Chip sharing the pics and write up, wish you Waldo a happy retirement.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Chip and all,

Thank you for the kind words. It has been my honor to serve with America's best.

Semper Fi,
Waldo

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Congrats Waldo and thanks for allowing Chip to tell your story. I had the privilege to watch a childhood friend take command of the US Navy Test Pilot School a few years ago. I can tell you it was a lifetime memory and makes me proud to be an American. Thank you and your entire family for keeping this country safe and free. Blue Skies!

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Great write up. Thanks for sharing and congratulations !! Makes owning a GT that much more special when I see who else with this type of background feels the same!