GT Clutch Explosion

PNicholson

HAD to post this here - from another forum.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97838

Page

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
For the keen eye the car is #1597 Nothing else to add, no pictures . :biggrin oh its an 05 also ..........just information noticed and writen down just incase a low mileage slightly adjusted tranny ,05 gt vin#1597 comes up for sale on the site . gtjoey 1314:thumbsup

PNicholson

For the keen eye the car is #1597 Nothing else to add, no pictures . :biggrin oh its an 05 also ..........just information noticed and writen down just incase a low mileage slightly adjusted tranny ,05 gt vin#1597 comes up for sale on the site . gtjoey 1314:thumbsup

Not only low mileage slightly adjusted tranny, but from what the post says - highly abused :)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Holy-frickin-Moley.

That's not good is it? Even with my limited mechanical knowledge, I know that's not good...

Mine is #1564, so I feel a bit weird. :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
As bulletproof as these STOCK GT's are, one would have to think this occurred under circumstances OTHER THAN simply driving down the road. Especially given the fact that , for instance, cimaxgt's clutch was totally SHOT at, what?, 50K miles?, and IT didn't blow up.

'Just MHO.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Well it says it all in there. The car was 780rwhp, went through two stock clutches, had an aftermarket unit. Something is obviously wrong somewhere in the chain, be it install, product, or usage.

If these 800-1000rwhp twin turbo cars are making it out alive using the stock clutch...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I like the line that they put 500 miles on it because they think the customer doesn't treat it right. That's the wrong thing to put in writing.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Our own dave from N.Y. who you can find on you tube, TWIN TURBOS,AIRPLANE FUEL ECT. Still got 30,000+ miles on his and he's got some stones driving that car:thumbsup. A TESTIMENT TO A GREAT BULLET PROOFCAR AND DRIVETRAIN. P.S. HIS IS VERY EARY DEC 04 CAR!!!!!!!!! SLEEVES AND ALL AND STILL RUNS LIKE A BULLET!!!!:thumbsupGTJOEY 1314

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yeah... I want to use a shop that puts 500 miles on the car because I don't listen to break in instructions... right... sure....HOPE THAT SHOP OWNER STAYS IN MODULAR LAND.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
You gotta love the care and interest the mechanic wanted to perform just to make sure it was done right:biggrin. AHH Mr Bony I would like to personally break in your new lowering suspension kit and bed the new blower into the computer:thumbsup, please call back 3 weeks from tuesday and the gt will be ready for delivery home. SERVICE WITH A SMILE :biggrin GTJOEY 1314

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
It's just a shame to hear about such an extreme level of abuse of a fine machine like the FGT. Everybody's got the right to pay their money and do what they please, but it's just painful. All of the techs, replacements, finger pointing and root cause analysis can't make up for such an obvious absence of care of an increasingly rare mix of art and science. Just a pity. Nothing more or less.
Whew. I feel much better now...

M

Mark O

It's just a shame to hear about such an extreme level of abuse of a fine machine like the FGT. Everybody's got the right to pay their money and do what they please, but it's just painful. All of the techs, replacements, finger pointing and root cause analysis can't make up for such an obvious absence of care of an increasingly rare mix of art and science. Just a pity. Nothing more or less.
Whew. I feel much better now...

Well, hopefully it was just a red car. :biggrin

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Well, hopefully it was just a red car. :biggrin

Now, now. Red cars are just as worthy. Just a little, um, slow...
:)

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Hopefully not a Black beauty!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
ok, from now on, everyone that buys a car from me, I am gonna have to drive the car 500 miles before you pick it up so that I can ensure that all is good and the car has been broken in properlly.
Hello?..... Hello?....... HELLO?.......

That is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Driving your customers 200k exotic car 500 miles for them to ensure the clutch is broken in????

I really wonder what some people are thinking sometimes!?!?!? :bs

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
White FGT's, per Arnold, are EXEMPT from any third party parties :lol

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
ok, from now on, everyone that buys a car from me, I am gonna have to drive the car 500 miles before you pick it up so that I can ensure that all is good and the car has been broken in properlly.
Hello?..... Hello?....... HELLO?.......

That is the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard. Driving your customers 200k exotic car 500 miles for them to ensure the clutch is broken in????

I really wonder what some people are thinking sometimes!?!?!? :bs

Exactly!!!

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
That whole story sounds fishy. I mean why would you put a stronger clutch in AND lower the boost....that just doesn't make sense.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
The only time in my life I ever "blew up" a clutch was with a 5500 RPM launch, injected 427, 4:88 rear, and BIG slicks. Remember scatter shields - they were for that type of abuse.

Maybe there is a lesson there though, with the damage (jeez - wonder what it did to the rest of the car), maybe some of the more powerful GTs could use a scatter blanket?

Let's see, mutiple clutch changes and ready for the 4th set of tires in 10K miles :eek Yep, they "drove it like they stole it". :wink At least the engine is still together, another testimony of the build quality.

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
According to the "GT GUYS" when asked what is the most common big repair on the GT.

They instantly replied... Clutches from all the guys who say "I never took off in 3rd" ....well maybe...those darn close ratio shifters.:eek

Rich commented you only get 1 3rd gear burnout:rofl