GT at Mecum Kissimmee

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
2006 yellow, 4 options; 2,558 miles; $242,500+ 8% buyer premium.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Wow...I wonder what my 21-mile 4-option Yellow wrapper car would have done!

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wow...I wonder what my 21-mile 4-option Yellow wrapper car would have done!

You keep bringing up your "21-mile 4-option Yellow wrapper car" just to aggravate me, don't you?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
OK, I'm gonna change it up a bit to NOT aggravate you; it's 21.6 actually...oh and did I tell you it still has the little round black stickers on the wheels?

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
a 568 mile yellow goes off 230 Sat

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
OK, I'm gonna change it up a bit to NOT aggravate you; it's 21.6 actually...oh and did I tell you it still has the little round black stickers on the wheels?

Oh. Black stickers huh? The oem wheels came with red ones. I think you have the counterfeit Chinese wheels. Are you sure the 21.6 miles isn't an odo rollback?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Black/Red Dots

Although this might be fun and games, some of the newbie’s may wonder what you two are talking about here.

FBA refers to the "little round black stickers on the wheels". He is correct. Prior to Ford assembling the alum wheel and the Goodyear tire, the two "pieces" were balanced separately. I believe this most probably occurred at the vendor level, not with Ford. So the wheel manufacturing vendor (BBS) determined the circumferential mass distribution of the wheel and marked the heaviest portion of the wheel circumference with a round black stick-on dot about the size of a paper hole punch. These stickers were paper backed and did not last long in a driving (or wheel washing) environment thus the line that if the wheels still had these black stickers on the rim it would indicate very little actual use.

Andy refers to “oem wheels came with red ones”. Well, that is kinda right too. Goodyear did the same type balance operation on the virgin tires after they were made. They used a reddish orange circular stamp on the outside sidewall of the tire (our tires are directional) but the Goodyear stamp indicated the “light” side of the tire circumference. I might have the heavy wheel/light tire transposed but the object of having these dots was to “prebalance” the assembly of rim and tire to capitalize on the inherent imbalance of each to help reduce the overall balance necessary for the final assembly. This type of prebalance is frequently done with aircraft tires. If you look at a FGT that happens to have OE build tires (most likely on the front) you may still see the Goodyear red stamp on the sidewall. My fronts still show the mark after 14K miles. (Rears have long since been replaced and new Goodyears purchased from a retailer do not have the balance stamp). Goodyear told me once they did this specifically at Ford engineering request.

This way when Ford mounted the two pieces and lined up the two dots (black on the rim and red on the tire) the assembly balance would be minimized and the owner would have a minimum of ugly weights stuck on the inside of his rims.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
FBA refers to the "little round black stickers on the wheels". He is correct.

Andy refers to “oem wheels came with red ones”.

Thanks for ruining it. By the way Jim, who the hell is Andy? :lol

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Indy GT is correct. I called Ford GT Service in March of 2008 to inquire about getting some red-orange paint applicators. I was given this address and company name and I ordered a couple of boxes of paint applicators. Have used two. Not sure if the others are dried up, but it was the orignal paint color and applicator was the correct circumference.

Akron Paint and Varnish Company
1390 Firestone Parkway
Akron, OH 44301
Ph. 330-773-8911
fax 330.773.1028

Part # D-2861 1795C Red Harmonic

still have the black wheel dots, and the red-orange paint stamps, 5000 mi.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Damn those Ford Engineers are good. !
andy (ajb)

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Well, I have both - black and red as described above. Sinovac, yes, in fact it IS A ROLLBACK; I bought at from Walmart, where Rollbacks are common. It was rolled back from 21.7 to 21.6. Eat my dust....(and my red and black dots)!

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
In selling my mustang super snake there tomorrow afternoon. Hope it sells

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Generally the OEM dot on the tire is aligned with the valve stem ( heaviest part of the wheel) when mounting, thus using the least amount of lead balance weights on the wheel.
You will see the dot on the replacement Bridgestones, have your tire guy align that dot with the valve stem.

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Generally the OEM dot on the tire is aligned with the valve stem ( heaviest part of the wheel) when mounting, thus using the least amount of lead balance weights on the wheel.
You will see the dot on the replacement Bridgestones, have your tire guy align that dot with the valve stem.

This may not be true any more but when I was with Ford we had a process that off-set bored the wheel .005-.006" in relation to the valve stem hole, (forged wheels will not be out of balance because of the precise manufacturing process). The tire manufacturer would measure the force variation location on their tires and mark the high point with a sticker, the tires were then mounted with the sticker by the valve stem so that the slightly higher tire spring rate was cancelled by the wheel being slightly off set at that point. Tires can be in perfect balance but if the force variation is out of spec (high) the car will act like it has an out of balance tire because the tire spring rate changes as it rotates, in those days Michelin was far better at meeting force variation specs that any other manufacturer. Some times you will hear a NASCAR team say they got a "bad" set of tires, Robert Yates actually measured a loss of rear wheel HP on a chassis dyno due to a high force variation in rear tires. There would be vibration and handling issues associated with high force variation in addition to the power absorption problem.

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Heritage got a high bid of $325k; reserve was $350k. No sale.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Mecum site says: Lot S196 2006 Ford GT Heritage Edition 2400 Miles Sold for $320,000

Also of interest: Lot S131 Ford GT Yellow w/ Black Stripes 568 miles High Bid $285,000

RJY

GT Owner
Feb 13, 2013
TN
Weird, I watched it. Got a high bid of $325k, no sale. Maybe it was an off the block sale.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Supposedly it sold off the block for $340k.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How much is an $8k paint job (over the cost of stripes) worth? Given, no true "heritage" is involved? I don't understand. I guess some people really really like a paint job. Yeah, I'll pay $100K for an $8k paint job.

BTW, I'm not envious. Just mystified.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
How much is an $8k paint job (over the cost of stripes) worth? Given, no true "heritage" is involved? I don't understand. I guess some people really really like a paint job. Yeah, I'll pay $100K for an $8k paint job.

BTW, I'm not envious. Just mystified.

The Heritage cars are extremely popular because of the GT40's strong association with the Gulf Oil paint scheme. Nevertheless, I am surprised they command such a huge premium. I can't think of any other cars produced in the same quantities as the Heritage cars which have a similar price premium because of a paint job alone. I believe it reflects the powerful influence the Gulf GT40s have in the minds of collectors and enthusiasts.