GT assembly line build books

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
The new GT book (btw-great job to all involved) talks about the build history notebook that followed each car down the line. Surely someone around here has some inside connections at Ford to abscond those scanned copies. What a great piece of history to have. Anyone with the original hardcopy for their car who can comment on the content?

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Unless something has changed, I don't think they're available:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20553-FORD-GT-build-book&highlight=build+book

Re: content, nearly useless. Interesting, yes. Nice to have, yes. Content, not so much.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Anyone on here have one that they want to copy and post?

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
When I received the paper work with the GT I got in February I was very surprised to get build book with it. I have talked to a few other owners and it seemed to be rare to have the book with the documentation. It is very interesting reading and has the hand written sign off for each phase of production and testing. I was going through my new FGT experience book last night and saw the reference to the build book and it sounds like it is the top of the documentation chain. I did not receive the book with the other GT I have.
Side Note; The new book is great and very informative with great data and photos.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Its really is the Bible of "YOUR CAR", by todays standards its the 1967 corvette tank sticker and build sheet ....They were never intended to see the light of day as each book walks through each stage of your car......My 1314 was a gift from the plant staff as we were putting together rally 1.
Why the hype, it shows everything, even if there was a problem, from paint to engine management to fit and finish and even wheel weight location on each tire.....:eek
In my opinion it REALLY ADDS to the car in the event you would want to sell it 25/30 years down the line, just like a 67 vette, its proof positive......
Ive seen a book where a gt ran down the entire line with the rear bumper cover removed due to a drip blob of paint , it just had to be knocked down......the car was completely built ready for shipping and the last builder puts on the sheet...WHERES THE BUMPER?........ it was a red car..and it kinda still has the drip on it..today.........:thumbsup
neat stuff......gtjoey1314:thumbsup

Last edited:

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
On the build lines, there were computer terminals at various points. (Saleen and Wixom) Each build team logged in the car #, and put in any defects or missing parts. At the end of the line, before the car was put in the shipping area, the final inspector had to verify that any issues were corrected and bought off. I'm sure that somewhere, deep in the bowels of the Ford computer systems, these logs exist. At the time, anyone at Ford who had access to the system could pull up the car #, and get all information pertaining to the car. I would assume the "powers that be" could still get the info. Ford has been using this system for a long time, and it has really gone a long way in preventing defects from getting to the customers. Yea Ford. I think Ford should bring back the old ad slogan, "Quality is Job 1"

An interesting side note, (at least to me) I have a friend who wanted a GT. He found one at a dealer in Ohio, at sticker price, and asked me if I could get the build information on it. After pulling up the info, I immediately called him back and told him to buy it. Turns out, my partner and I had built the car. There were only a few very minor issues with the car. (mostly little paint issues) Sadly, he only kept the car for a short time, selling it to buy His and Her Corvettes.

H

HHGT

Im calling the guys behind the Sony Playstation scandal to see if they could do some computer hacking...Oops I meant research.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I didn't get any build books with my GT but the guys in the plant were kind enough to get me photographs of each stage of the build process. I gotta think that years down the road, this kind of unique build documentation will be invaluable.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I believe some of the Rally 1 participants were able to get build books (or copies thereof) on their cars as they got to know Saleen managament people during our time at their facility.

It was later determined this practice was not sanctioned by the Blue Oval Corporate and future official requests were denied due to a preceived liability. (Don't shoot me, I am only the messenger). Some did most probably slip out under-the-radar but not many build books are out there.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
A few books did get out, and if I remember correctly, the feces hit the fan. I'm sure Saleen is required to keep the books for a certain amount of time for legal reasons. What is really sad was, after talking to my old boss after the program ended, he told me that he was told to dispose of any files and records he kept in the shop. He told me he tossed 3-4 file cabinets worth of documents in the dumpster. Said it was a very hard thing for him to do.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
As I understand the books still exist and are locked up in Fords possession.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I understand the same as Steve. I don't know who has any pull with Ford but it would be nice that they find it in thier hearts to let them out to the owners of the GT's. Proof of ownership required.

Mike

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Unless something has changed, I don't think they're available:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?20553-FORD-GT-build-book&highlight=build+book

Re: content, nearly useless. Interesting, yes. Nice to have, yes. Content, not so much.

I have the books for both our cars and it is not so much useful info as it is just documentation of the process. They would not let me have them while at SSV but it was put under the seat for me to find at delivery on the Heritage (which we watched built). The one for the red car is a copy and not the original but was sent to me later.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I have the original and they put a copy in the file, I did not know they were that rare!

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
can one of you guys scan and post some pics of what these pages look like.
Congrats Derry.

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I am not where the book is this week but can post it next week if not done by someone else by then.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I will try to get it done for you this weekend. KO

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
got my "baby's book" :biggrin Came in plain brown envelope after Rally 1 :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Boy, I wished I had asked, back at Rally one... Live and learn......

Also Rich, as always, thank you for your continued insight! See you next week

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I wouldn't get too fired up over the build books. I have mine and it's never going to be anything other than something to say "cool" and then file away. Nice to have, not something I'd be bummed to be missing. I just can't envision that saying my "rear LH axle shaft nut assy was originally torqued to 405 nm" will make the car worth more. I probably gave a couple dozen of them out before SSV closed because they were pretty relaxed about giving them up. The odds of FMC giving them up remains near nil. I'll do my annual pitch sometime next week, but I'd say there's a 99.9% chance the position on giving them up remains unchanged.

photo 2-2.JPG

photo 1-2.JPG

Gibberish
photo 3-2.JPG

More gibberish
photo 4-2.JPG