Going rate for a fgt oil change

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Just curious on what everyone is paying for an oil change. It took me two and a half hours to do my own. I wanted to do it the first time for the experience but I am curious what everyone pays.

Mike Anderson

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hello Mike,
I paid $5 for filter (on-line), $9qt for Oil and $200 labor (took about 2.5 hours for a trained Ford GT mechanic who has done a ton of oil changes)= $295

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I do them myself for about $90 for oil and filter.....but I have a lift. Without one it may be worth paying the man to do it. If you lived closer to me, you could head over here with the oil and filter and save a couple of hundred dollars.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Make sure that whoever does it takes the time to take a look around while the pans are off. Look at power steering pump for any leaks, oil lines, oil cooler, excessive clutch dusting, rear main seal weeping, AC compressor clutch gap and wear, oil pump pulley (oil and/or belt dust), etc.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
$250 - $300 is going rate

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Agree with Shelby. Oil + Filter + 2 hours of labor. As I mentioned, all of us folks who work on GTs can probably do it faster - but it's a good time to nose around a bit to check on everything else.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Yup, $250-$300 is the going rate. Mine was changed by a Ford dealer and was not a good experience, so you take your chances. The shop manager said only a certified GT mechanic would be allowed to work on my GT and he was the only one that the dealership ever let work on GTs. So, I was comfortable letting them do it until I wandered by the mechanic's bay and heard him say, "Why does this keep happening?" So, I asked, "Why does what keep happening?" He said, "The book says it's supposed to take 9 quarts, but I can only get 2 quarts in them and then they overflow. So, I have to syphon the oil out of the dry sump all the time." I asked, "Did you remove all 3 drain plugs?" Got this deer in the headlights look, he ran over to his computer and then apollagized. Obviously, he had had this problem on other GTs and failed to research the reason. I had to bring the GT back to the dealership 2 weeks later after they ordered more oil and another filter. They graciously did the second oil change for free. So, you take your chances.

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I buy the oil wholesale Motorcraft Synthetic Racing QGT for about $8 a quart....generally 9qts....says 9.5 but a half quart low won't hurt or split one with the next change if it bothers you. I go 6K miles between changes...never according to months. I buy the Mann Filters (exact same part # as Motorcraft on the filter) for about $4. Cost of labor is $75 at my Ford Master Certified tech. About $151-155 total for me. The only real hassle is all the belly pan screws. Don't forget to properly prime after refill. Has anyone tried sucking/pumping the oil out of the reservoir tank. Sure would be easy to drain the 2 plugs then. 9 quarts is a lot of oil at one time!

Last edited:

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Crowley Ford, CT $165