gauge/dash lights cutting out

bookojj

GT Owner
Sep 11, 2017
Hello. I'm new to posting on this forum, but I bought the car a couple of years ago, and joined then. I've only recently started trying to sort out a few (seemingly) minor issues with the car. It's a 2006, no option, tungsten grey. The build sheet showed it came with side stripes, but they've been removed, and possibly the car has been painted.... I chased down a few odd niggles, and resolved the biggest issues (door ajar and parasitic draw). It was pulling .5 amps in key off position, but is now down to .08, which I believe is acceptable given electronics of the car and its systems?

My last issue is that my dash lights go out after a few seconds of turning on the lights (main or parking). I tried adjusting the dimmer, but that has no impact. I read through all of the threads I could find related to electrical or lighting issues, but I couldn't find any threads that discussed this issue. Any ideas on what it could be or what I should do to troubleshoot? Or is this clearly something only the dealer should tackle?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Joe

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The actual dimmer switch combined with the light switch crap out....
Follow the little led square light in each switch when turned on.
See if all of them are even , the little white/blue light.
If not its like a DAISY CHAIN.
Replace them all.
Common issue...…...in damp areas and lots of use.
Its a pain in the ask but once done they are perfect.
Scott Minch has them.
Early 05 used prototype left over switches, they were ORANGE in color not the white/blue hue. Neat trivia.

bookojj

GT Owner
Sep 11, 2017
Many thanks for the great explanation. This has been a real head scratcher for me. Since I didn’t see any early responses I assumed this issue was a first. I feel much better hearing this is a more common issue. When I get back to California I’ll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks gtjoey!!!!!!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Whatever happened with this? I saw a dash light problem but different than this. Car was idling, head and fog lights on. Hit rear defrost switch and all dash lights went out. Turned off rear defrost, still no dash lights. Turned lights off and back on, everything normal now. Hit rear defrost and no problems. Headlight, dimmer and defrost switch lights do not work ever(did not before either)