Garage Floor Paint Suggestions Please

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
I recall reading a post about a good spackle finish floor paint for garage. I could not find the old thread. Can anyone suggest whish is the best paint to buy for a cement slab floor? One that wont lift up from warm tires...

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I used the UCoatIt. There was lots of steps....repairing, cleaning, acid washing.....all the way down to painting and the sprinkles. It was a bit of a pain. But the result was excellent. Very hard, very pretty, very cleanable, and customizable to whatever color combo you like. It's the only one I've tried so I can't really compare, but I was very happy with this result....

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
U want U-Coat-it

It's industrial grade and comes in kit with DVD and gloves, buckets, etc; was like $350, eight years ago.
It even had hygroscopic rating, so moisture is blocked.

The stuff from Home Depot, Rust-oleum, Griots is not comparable

U need a power washer to really clean the floor first.

Also, it releases a powerful chemical smell that will clearly make first 24hrs hard to endure; ur neighbors might complain.

But, it's worth it; mine was fine after 8years and like new. GT tires hot and even turning in place.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thank you Wizard and Kayvan. Much apprecited. Will do. After 10 years finally getting new cabinets and paint in the garage and purging as much as possible without my wife knowing!!! :) Cant wait. Ill post before and after pics.
Thnx again for quick reply gents

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
....let me add another vote for U-Coat-It. I did my Michigan garage - 900 sqft about 7 years ago. It is still shiny and holding up well even with the F-150 truck parking on it.
I did not put any of the 'anti-slip ' silica sand in the clear surface so... you need to be careful because it is very slippery esp with snow on your shoes..
andy (ajb)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How well does it work if your slab has a lot of small cracks, less than 1mm wide? I'm sure it will cover it when 1st installed but if the concrete moves any I assume the cracks will reappear.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
How well does it work if your slab has a lot of small cracks, less than 1mm wide? I'm sure it will cover it when 1st installed but if the concrete moves any I assume the cracks will reappear.

The crack has to be repaired first. Plenty of videos online for 'how-to' guidance.
http://www.ucoatit.com/2010web/2011-video-library.htm?03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35SXyhW4sU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCfw4umnOQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myaFLr2iHOY

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
if you have many cracks in the slab, you may want to consider staining the concrete, rather than using an epoxy. The crack then become character marks.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thank you guys, Yes being in California the cement has many cracks as do the tiles inside the house!!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gee-Tee,

The old thread is probably mine. It's premieregarage.com. My specked floor coating is now 6 years old and it still looks brand new. It's diamond hard and impervious to oil, gas, and solvents. It's also non slip and it looks bitchin. Check out their web site.

Chip

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
...purging as much as possible without my wife knowing!!! :)

Ahh yes, that is the key. I try to do a little at a time but every once in a while she comes asking for that basket she hasn't used or seen in 20 years.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Thanks Chip will do. Gulf; I must tell you that she actually kept like 6 out of 20 flippin baskets today. I dont get it!!! As my son and I always say they are from Mars! Just dont get it. I try and get rid of things all the time but it not enough. I wanna send her away to a girls trip so I can go to town on purging...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I've used the UGL Dryock and the Home Depot garage floor paint with reasonable success. If I had a clean floor (not previously painted), I'd go with a two-part epoxy, but my floors are painted gray, so I am repainting with the Home Depot 1-part epoxy paint. Clearly not as good as the 2-part stuff, but hey, I don't want to spend a good portion of the next month stripping and cleaning the floor to properly prepare it. The cheaper stuff is easy enough to touch up when needed.

One other thing--color. I use ONLY white. The difference in light in the garage is dramatic. Especially if you work under the car, the light reflected off the floor really helps you see what you are doing. I've tried gray, tan, and had other colors, but I now stick to white. In fact, I'm painting over a gray floor in my separate 3-car garage/shop now.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I used two-part light gray epoxy and I agree that lighter is better.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I used the 2 part from home depot. Once you mix it you don't have much time. It heats up in the pail pretty quickly