functional front brake ducts

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm new to the forum. I just bought a new 05 & want to have fun with it on open tracks here in CA. Has anyone tried to make the fake front ducts into functioning brake ducts? I searched through past posts so apologize if this topic has been addressed previously.

Also what is the best way to use a jack with the GT & get it on jack stands?

Thanks for all your help.

Ed Sims

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No real news on the ducts. Check Analogdesigners website for jack adapters at GTSaver.com.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
That does not get the car on jack stands, its a whole different subject that has not been addressed to my knowledge.

As to the brake ducts the can be made to be functional by opening the rear of the duct and using tubing to direct airflow.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
welcome ed!! where do you live in the sunshine state? where do you plan to open track you GT at?

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Welcome ED!

Bony, I thought the Sunshine State was Florida!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Lgaruti said:
Welcome ED!

Bony, I thought the Sunshine State was Florida!

Florida IS the Sunshine State.

Isn't California the Golden State?

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
When I needed to work on my GT (and get it off the ground) I did the following with no ill results:

1. I slowly drove over some 1"x4"'s to raise the nose up and give enough clearance for a low profile floor jack to clear

2. I placed a small square piece of pine on the head of the jack prior to raising the car up

3. Before lowering the car on the jack stands I placed another small piece of pine on each jack (to keep the head of the jacks from damaging the underside of the car)

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
GTx

Where are the lifting points that you use?

Dave

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
You are going to think this is kind of funny...I started to lift the car direclty behind the passenger tire on the frame. The frame is so stiff the whole front end came up!! All I did then is place the jack stands. I will post picture tomorrow as I havent set it down yet if that will help you?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
GTX

Thanks. I have always lifted at the same point and not well under the car. I have also used jack-stands and done it exactly as you described. Exactly as I have done with my Vette except for lifting both front wheels with one lift and the same with the two rear wheels.

Small pieces of wood are invaluable.

I also agree that the frame is extremely stiff and the front end came upo easily. I think pictures will enable others to see the jacking/lift points.

Dave

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Here are the pictures

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Second attempt

Attachments

• dosizeth_1145580215DSCN0380.JPG
    dosizeth_1145580215DSCN0380.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 162

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
other pictures

Attachments

• dosizeth_1145580215DSCN0381.JPG
    dosizeth_1145580215DSCN0381.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 166

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
GTX

Exactly

Well chosen points.

Dave

IwantaGT

Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Thanks for the pics GTx.....I've been wondering how to get my friend's GT in the air and support it while I clean the rubber off the inside of the rims from track events. I'll past this along to him so he can confirm that I can do this to HIS GT. :biggrin

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
thanks all

Thanks for the photos & info on getting the GT in the air without a lift Gtx. Once it's lifted then Jay's pads can be used.

Bony - I live very close to Sears Point (aka Infineon ) Raceway & Thunderhill. I go to Fernley ( near Reno, NV ) & Laguna Seca also. Contact me off-forum & we'll get together for a ride or open track event soon. I have a feeling the Bob Ida exhaust I ordered will not allow me to pass sound at Laguna though. A stock Viper didn't pass sound there at my last event! Side pipes & low cloud/fog conditions didn't help him.

Has anyone opened up the air scoops for the front brakes yet? If so, can you post photos? It sounds like a good project for Jay!

Does anyone have solid brake rotors & race pads yet for the GT? How about sticky DOT rubber ( no slicks with 1 or 2 grooves ) for our 19" rear rims?

I really appreciate all I've learned from all of you.

Ed