Fuel filter replacement using the PROPER TOOL!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I finally got around to replacing my fuel filter. I have read on the forum about everyone using a 3/8" line disconnect tool for performing this task. The fuel filter has 1/2" diameter lines on it, so where did the 3/8" tool size come from? The proper tool is an AST 8016. It pops in place in a couple of seconds. I had the old filter out and the new one back in place in less than two minutes. I slightly remachined the security clips so that you don't have to bend the hell out of them. Thanks all, Jay

So, here's the right tool:
Ford GT fuel line release tool.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thanks, Jay!!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Did you remove by accessing from the top or by removing the bottom floor pan? If you have pics of the removal process please post.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It should be removed from the top. The gtguys loosen use the oil cannister for easier access. If you have a tranny cooler it's a little harder.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I slightly remachined the security clips so that you don't have to bend the hell out of them. Thanks all, Jay

So, here's the right tool:
View attachment 39442

How about a picture of your slightly machined clips, so we know what you are talking about.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I had the old filter out and the new one back in place in less than two minutes.

You should have had the folks from Guinness over to time and film that. I assure you that typically they don't like to come out so easily.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Anyone know if other retaining clips will work? Or where can the existing clips be sourced from? It appears they can be damaged easily.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Kendall, I need to thank you from last year when you had mentioned that it wasn't necessary to relieve the line pressure as that saved a lot of time. Once the top fitting was released, then the bottom one was released about 15 seconds later. I then slid the filter upward and out of the bracket WITHOUT loosening the clamping screw. I slid the new filter back into the bracket and popped the fuel line fittings on each end of the filter. Removing and reinstalling those damn security clamps take up more time than releasing the fuel lines. I will post a picture of the slightly modified security clamp. If I get time, I may try and talk my roommate into making a video, in less than two minutes! The right tool (earlier post) is very valuable and you do NOT have to modify it! Jay

You should have had the folks from Guinness over to time and film that. I assure you that typically they don't like to come out so easily.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for the information. I need to get this done. Kendall????

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Art138, yeah it's all easily done from the top. I will work on posting some pictures soon. Jay

Did you remove by accessing from the top or by removing the bottom floor pan? If you have pics of the removal process please post.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Removing and reinstalling those damn security clamps take up more time than releasing the fuel lines.

And they're sharp too!

Thanks for the information. I need to get this done. Kendall????

Anytime, my friend!!