Frunk Rubbing Against Bumper

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
As stated, the frunk is rubbing against the bumper(the little strip between the fans) making it hard to open. When my rear clamshell was rubbing, Rich just loosened 3-4 screws and moved the rear bumper around…..is there a similar adjustment for the front?

Thanks

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
As stated, the frunk is rubbing against the bumper(the little strip between the fans) making it hard to open. When my rear clamshell was rubbing, Rich just loosened 3-4 screws and moved the rear bumper around…..is there a similar adjustment for the front?

Thanks
I'll be in the Houston area in a few weeks. Give me a call and we can get it fixed up for you when I get there.

Reactions: RPM217 and extrap

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I'll be in the Houston area in a few weeks. Give me a call and we can get it fixed up for you when I get there.
Thanks Rich, will do…..and I’ll look around and see if there is anything else to do

Reactions: GT Tech

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
If you pull the frunk liner, there are torx screws across the bottom of the radiator cover. You could see if loosening those buys you anything. The radiator cover side mounting as well as the frunk hinges have screws thru the fender aprons, and require wheel liner removal and maybe headlight removal, to gain access. The radiator cover itself is made of kinda thin metal, and can be gently persuaded, if your issue is minimal, and all else is in good alignment. You can use a sheet of paper, to slide between the frunk and radiator cover, to find tight spots, and ensure no contact. Good luck.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Take the nose screens off! The car will run cooler. I have not had mine on for 10 plus years

Take the nose screens off! The car will run cooler. I have not had mine on for 10 plus years
What are you calling the "nose screens"? The radiator screen in front or the panels behind the radiator?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What are you calling the "nose screens"? The radiator screen in front or the panels behind the radiator?

Front. The only disadvantage is your radiator will pick up dead bugs. The screen was dropped from the 06.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Does removing the Front Screen really make an appreciable difference in cooling?

Reactions: roketman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No. Some people try to make you think that it does, but as long as your radiator is full and no air in system, doesn't make any difference. I have 40K with no problems and that includes the bra with screen

Reactions: PeteK

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Does removing the Front Screen really make an appreciable difference in cooling?
If you track your car, it does make a difference. I don’t track mine anymore but I leave the screen off. I also have the Gt guy high-performance radiator. My car runs very cool I really see over 180 on my temp gauge.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Front. The only disadvantage is your radiator will pick up dead bugs.

No truer words! 😖

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
No truer words! 😖
That makes the assumption that you actually drive the car. If you never drove it, bugs wouldn't be a problem!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No. Some people try to make you think that it does, but as long as your radiator is full and no air in system, doesn't make any difference.
This is incorrect. The screen was found by Ford to impede a lot of airflow/cooling and this is why it was eliminated in the late 2005 cars and all of the 2006 models. Loafing around town in mild temperatures you probably won't notice a difference. However, if you live in an area where summer temps are 90-100F+ and you do any kind of spirited driving, you WILL likely notice a difference. That said, removing the screen on an '05 car is a BIG endeavor. It is NOT something that can be easily removed.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Midwest is a pretty warm in the summer, often in the 90's with heat index well above 100 and high humidity. I stand by my statement unless you are tracking the car in the heat. Last time mine went into limp mode was at the first Utah rally where track temps were in excess of 108. Ford cut costs by eliminating the screens and were more like the Canadian cars coming off the line. I have driven to almost all the rallies and never had a problem, including the warm temps of Texas. I can't remember any of the Texas crew having overheating issues for years. Again, if the cooling system is purged correctly and filled correctly, there should not be any problems.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When I was in Colorado several people said they took it off to get better cooling. High altitude was a factor.

I almost added one back to my 06 to protect the radiator fins from bugs the size of small aircraft.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Midwest is a pretty warm in the summer, often in the 90's with heat index well above 100 and high humidity. I stand by my statement unless you are tracking the car in the heat. Last time mine went into limp mode was at the first Utah rally where track temps were in excess of 108. Ford cut costs by eliminating the screens and were more like the Canadian cars coming off the line. I have driven to almost all the rallies and never had a problem, including the warm temps of Texas. I can't remember any of the Texas crew having overheating issues for years. Again, if the cooling system is purged correctly and filled correctly, there should not be any problems.
The question was never if there's overheating (limp mode) concerns with the cars with the grill versus without. You are trying to twist the question to this. But the question was if the grill impacts cooling and the answer is that it does. But even a larger impact on cooling - and I suppose few want to remove it, is the black "grill" on the aft (bonnet) side of the grill. These are more restrictive than what they appear and for those looking for an aid for a track day or two in warm weather, this grill can be more easily removed.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
When I drove my 05 to first rally in Detroit in 06, I hit bumper to bumper traffic on the bridge from Canada to US. It was in the 90s. Temp gauge going over 210. I remember reading a post about this, not uncommon, and putting A/c on high ( I thought to contrary !) would help! ( cycling fans on)! And it did!My car has the screens in place!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Once I took the screens off, I never put them back on. But I will stay the upgraded radiator makes a nice difference.