Ford Racing Pulley and Tune not working

Lancer76

GT Owner
Jun 27, 2011
Hamilton Ontario
We installed the Ford Racing upgrade and Pulley yesterday, everything went fine except we can't get the tune installed with the SD card with the provided computer. Ford Racing sent a new SD card with no success in accepting the tune. It seems the tuner won't recognize the vin of the GT. The IDS will recognize everything so we really don't know what the issue is.

I think the provided tune computer may have the issue? Anybody else come across this concern?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Torrie, a sponsor, is the man to call

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We've installed a couple of dozen of these Ford Racing upgrades. The ECU can be finicky in accepting the tune. Can you be more specific about where the error occurs in the process? I PM'd you my cell if you'd rather chat.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Not sure if it is like sct programmer but with that program you have to sometimes use the right pattern of key on and plugging each cord in a sequence so it excepts the software to load. Just a stab. Torrie will know.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Gents - Torrie is THE man for tuning - no doubt. But the OP is NOT using an SCT device nor an SCT tune. He is using the calibration device from Ford Racing with a Ford-developed tune and these devices are a LOT more notorius fro being real finnicky with abttery voltage, etc. Can Torrie save the day? Yes, but this would be in favor of abandoning the Ford tune and programmer in favor of an SCT tuner with a Torrie developed tune. Certainly an option.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hey Lancer

I hope the tune works out, Torrie is the man to help, do you have the Eastegate Ford dealership? I may have talked with you last year trying to get some FGT's to your cruise night, if I remember it poured, I'm nearby in Stoney Creek.

Steve

Lancer76

GT Owner
Jun 27, 2011
Hamilton Ontario
Steve,

Yes Eastgate Ford is my dealership. The rain was too bad last year, but we are going to try it again this year on July 9th. Make sure you book it in!
I'm praying for Sunshine:)

On the topic of the tune, we talked to Ford Racing today and they are sending a new ProCal. Hopefully that solves the issue. It was so nice out today, and I wanted to go for a quick ride so badly.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Hopefully the OP gets squared from FRPP.

Op, sent you a pm.

Lancer76

GT Owner
Jun 27, 2011
Hamilton Ontario
So here is a Update... after receiving a new ProCal from Ford Racing we still have not been able to read the VIN. We (Ford and I) think there was a tune in the GT before I had it. Ford has been great, they told us to take the whole PCM out and send it there way for programming. Hopefully it fixes the problem! Should have the PCM back by Wednesday.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That's bizarre. I would think that regardless of the prior tune being in there or not, it would not affect the ability to read and overwrite it, but maybe a tuner can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. I understand the tuning device being married to the car, but not the car being married to a tune...

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yeah that doesn't follow conventional logic.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
And you of all people, would know!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I try my best man.

Lancer76

GT Owner
Jun 27, 2011
Hamilton Ontario
ok, PCM came back from Ford today. Everything installed and everything works!!! The car sounds amazing with the Borla and really pulls with the FRP tune and pulley!!! Good Job FMC!!

Attachments

• photo-17.jpg
    photo-17.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 272

Lancer76

GT Owner
Jun 27, 2011
Hamilton Ontario
Here is another pic from today. First nice day here all year!

Attachments

• fordgt.jpg
    fordgt.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 252

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Good Job FMC!!

Good job, may ass!! I am really aggravated by these guys!! So, you'd think that after you had to endure this they would have figured out what the problem was and fixed it. Nope. So, for the op, you can rest assured that there was nothing wrong with your car or ECU. The problem is that Ford has screwed up the firmware in the ProCal device such that it cannot communicate with the GT's ECU. Any reasonable company might have figured that out after you had to remove and send in the ECU - but no. In the coming several days, we are installing (3) of the FRPP pulley/tune upgrade kits. I received all 3 of the ProCal tuners for these jobs and I currently have 4 GT's here at Cool Tech. The damn ProCals - all 3 of them, will NOT read the VINs on any of the cars. The exact problem that you had! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I will be speaking to Ford Racing tomorrow morning - but for any of you individuals or vendors with a recent ProCal device - be advised that it likely will NOT work until Ford can figure out a fix.

More soon (I hope)....

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
You should go SCT man I have that calibration if someone wanted that opposed to my custom files.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
What is the ProCal advantage ? If SCT proven to work from the get go why bother with ProCal ? (hardware the same. no?)

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Procal is the device Ford dumps out with its pulley upgrade kit.