Ford GT vs GT4

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Hey Guys,

I thought I'd give you a heads up on yet another Ford GT story that I did (gee, for some reason I can't seem to get away from that topic :lol ).

Anyway, on the enthusiast part of Edmunds.com (Inside Line) we will soon be posting a Ford GT vs GT4 story. GT4 of course refers to Grand Turismo 4, the Sony Playstation2 game. I'm bummed because I came up with this idea back in February, but we couldn't get Laguna Seca until August 29 and 30th, and by then a few other books had done a similar story (comparing Gran Turismo 4 to real life by driving the same car on the same track in reality and on GT4).

However, none of the other stories featured the Ford GT (one used the 350Z, and I can't remember what the other one used -- Gallardo maybe?). And, none of the other ones used Laguna Seca (one of my favorite tracks on the planet :thumbsup ).

So, my story, complete with professional quality video intercut with in-game video, will post soon on Inside Line.com, but in the meantime the IGN.com version has posted already. They were there for the testing as well and they didn't have as much video to wade through and edit. The main story starts on this page: http://cars.ign.com/articles/652/652233p1.html

But the really wild part is that while the official car for the story was a Ford press vehicle (a red GT), I had just gotten my car a week earlier and drove it up for the story (just to break it in, of course :rofl ). At the very end of our track time I jumped onto Laguna Seca with my car and drove a few laps. And the IGN.com video guy, who hadn't gotten any in-car video with the official press car, jumped into the passenger seat and shot footage while I drove. They have cut that footage with exterior footage and in-game footage, and you can see it at the bottom of this page: http://cars.ign.com/articles/653/653459p1.html

And here's a good page that lets you read every part of this story on IGN.com (don't be freaked out by the aggressive ads :confused -- just click the link above them that says, "Go to Ford GT vs GT4")
http://cars.ign.com/articles/653/653488p3.html

I'll let you guys know when my story goes up. Look for longer videos with more camera angles, along with more text that discusses each car.

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Great video on Laguna Seca. I have not been back on the track since I totaled my 96 Viper GTS in the corkscrew. Broke a few ribs and hurt my back. Live and learn. I love my new GT. What a great car.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good stuff Karl. Your lines look like you're pretty familiar with LS. I laughed when the video game guy said the clutch was stiff compared to his integra. The GT clutch is like stomping a down pillow compared to some of the legit race clutches I've driven :lol

Looing forward to reading the full story on Edmunds and seeing longer videos... :cheers

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Sweet video!

I also have a hard time believing the shifter has a long throw with such a short stubby stick.

And from the video I can't see the poor visibility that he's referring to. Maybe because of the high camera position.