Ford GT Track Brake Kit

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Since I track the car quite often I found the weak link of the package was the brakes.

The problem was not so much stopping power. We all know that as long as a brake system is capable of locking the wheels the difference in stopping distance is made by the coefficient of friction of the tyres... So bigger brakes does NOT equal smaller stopping distances.

So heat and how long the brake-pads/rotors would last was my issue.

Stock pads went out straight away replaced by Pagid RS 29. Stock rotors also lasted very little (1 track day before big cracks would appear).

So I switched to the AP set up. The bigger pad (still 30% smaller than a Porsche GT3 RS one that weighs 500lbs less!) and rotors improve things. I went with the slotted discs and now a set of RS 29 lasts for one track day (on street tyres) if managed properly (basically braking 95%, i.e. 20 yards early from 100%).

Still when running Hoosiers and giving it 100% I went through 2 sets of Pagid RS29 (fronts) and 1 set of front discs in one track day at Silverstone (and 1 set of Hoosiers).

So it all comes down to the application, the use and the expectations.

I think this offer is a great compromise because the slotted discs will not crack and the Pagid will give you a lot more life than the stock pads.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Great feedback. Thank you.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Interesting thread. It sounds like we have a number of good options!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Ed, agreed... the Stillen AP Racing set-up is very nice. Do you know what pads you are running and if they are the pads that come with the kit or did you spec other pads?

Kendall- The AP kits come standard with a Mintex Xtreme Motorsport pad. They are a very good pad that (as stated by Shadowman) work very well when hot or cold. They are definitely not a "track only" pad but they also have a higher temperature rating than most comparible street pads. We do offer a long list of other pads including Ferodo DS2500 and DS3000, DS1.11 and DS2.11. We even have all out track pads such as the Mintex F3R and F6R's available.

In regards to the people who are going through a set of pads in one track day. There are a couple of things to look at but primarily, heat. Heat tears up brake pads and it is no surprise that a GT being pushed to the limit is overheating brake pads. There really is not very much airflow going to the front brakes on these cars so it's no major surprise to see pads wearing quickly. We also experienced a pretty severe heat issue with our GT and we had to regularly bleed the brakes on our car. We did come up with a brake duct system that appears to work well for us. Basically making the fake holes in front functional.

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
Please correct me when I am wrong;
1) When I only change the OEM front rotors with the 2 piece slotted Brembo rotors 2) And I change the brake fluid with high quality dot4 brakefluid. I can use the OEM brakepads for normal road use. ?
But when I want to go on a circuit, I only have to the change the Oem brakepads into the Pagid Yellows ones (and put some Hoosiers on)?
best of both worlds,that easy??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Please correct me when I am wrong;

What you say is certainly possible but keep in mind a couple of things:

1. You should run the same pads front and rear. So, even though you might use OEM rotors at the rear, you would still want to use the Pagid Yellows if that is what you are using up front.
2. In switching pads back and forth, at least for the track pads, you would likely want to re-burnish them when you switch in order to get the best possible performance.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
and don't forget to break in "burnish" your new pads.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ished-your-Brakes&highlight=burnish+brake+pad

Also, Wally, aka Cobrar1339 = www.fordgtparts.com/servlet/the-Brakes/Categories

Has Titanium brake pad shims specifically for the GT's Brembo brakes.

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
What you say is certainly possible but keep in mind a couple of things:

1. You should run the same pads front and rear. So, even though you might use OEM rotors at the rear, you would still want to use the Pagid Yellows if that is what you are using up front.
2. In switching pads back and forth, at least for the track pads, you would likely want to re-burnish them when you switch in order to get the best possible performance.
The idee is that I use your TRACK BRAKE KIT on the road with OEM brakepads on 4 corners ;so they are not that noisy and squeeking ,and on the track I switch all corners to yellow pagid???

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
Also, Wally, aka Cobrar1339 = www.fordgtparts.com/servlet/the-Brakes/Categories

Has Titanium brake pad shims specifically for the GT's Brembo brakes.[/QUOTE]

can I use these shims on the track brake kit with the pagidyellow??

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
The idee is that I use your TRACK BRAKE KIT on the road with OEM brakepads on 4 corners ;so they are not that noisy and squeeking ,and on the track I switch all corners to yellow pagid???

Seems like a lot of work but I believe that would be a personal "feel" decision for the owner/driver.

1. Considering cost
2. maintaining the Ford Factory setup & look
3. if you are NOT frequently tracking/racing ... less than 3 times a year.

A. Brembo slotted two piece rotor setup, no cross drilled holes.
B. Pagid yellows = endurance racing pad. Pagid blues for cold weather - ha not us in AZ
C. Shadowman/GT Guy brake duct setup
D. DOT 4 brake fluid
E. Titanium shim set from Don & Wally, www.fordgtparts.com

RE: Factory OEM Brembo brake pads.

According to www.fordgtparts.com

The OEM pads are labeled as Brembo with a Ferodo backing plate. A nice shim and carbon metallic compound.
OEM pads wear pretty quick on track weekends at heavy braking tracks, but the compound is rotor friendly.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ

Sure. I don't see why not.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

This is the set-up we just put on Chip's car.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Chip has everything. NICE!

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
Seems like a lot of work but I believe that would be a personal "feel" decision for the owner/driver.

1. Considering cost
2. maintaining the Ford Factory setup & look
3. if you are NOT frequently tracking/racing ... less than 3 times a year.

A. Brembo slotted two piece rotor setup, no cross drilled holes.
B. Pagid yellows = endurance racing pad. Pagid blues for cold weather - ha not us in AZ

can you be more specific regarding the pads? temperature? what do you mean with ""ha not us in AZ""?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Willem, it rarely gets cold in Arizona, so no blue pads needed. They can stick with the yellows.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Today's high was 76* but I think it felt more like 79*. :cool

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It's getting ready to dip below zero here in Illinois with 6 inches of snow. It's a lot worse out East.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
They're saying 72-74 through Friday in Socal and 78-79 for the weekend. Brrrrrr!

willem

Ford GTX-1 Owner
Mar 22, 2009
The Netherlands
Willem, it rarely gets cold in Arizona, so no blue pads needed. They can stick with the yellows.

FYI I live in THE NETHERLANDS (EUROPA) temperature are not that great .when are the blues more effective??

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Willem, on a more serious note, we've installed this brake kit package (complete with the Pagid yellow pads AND Wally's titanium shims) on both Apollo and ChipBeck's car. I'm assuming that both of these cars will see more street use than track use in the short term. When they have had a chance to drive their car more (instead of getting married, working, and all of that "other" stuff), perhaps they can offer some opinions of this set-up for daily driving. Frankly, I am suspecting that it is absolutely fine for everyday use.

I am going to update the website to include the titanium shims as I think they are a great addition to this package. (Price may go up a wee bit as Wally is nice to me but not THAT nice!)