zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Very cool. Wonder what it will sell for? 750?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's only use is to belong in a museum - it can't be driven on the road! Top speed is governed to 5 mph! If someone wants a true Garage Queen, then buy it - just don't plan on driving it, because it would be illegal and can't be registered.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The ECU probably can be reflashed for use on the track.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
There was an early black car which at one time was fitted with what looked like Gold BBS multi spoke wheels and a 5.0 during testing.
Not sure if anyone knows what I am talking about but I wonder if this could be that car.
My buddy KIWI did some of the testing on the mule back in the day.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
As Ralphie correctly states (and I will amplify), CP-1 is a museum piece. It is not a “street legal” vehicle with all the safety features federally required by the Department of Transportation (DOT) for the model year. The Engine Control Unit (ECU) was modified by Ford to allow a maximum speed of 5 mph. The car was sold by Ford to a consortium of three individuals (one of which was Joseph Limongelli) at the Ford GT National Rally III – Live Auction in Las Vegas, 2008 on a “bill-of-sale”. The sale did not have a Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO) for the prototype vehicle which is necessary to give to the owner’s state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to acquire a TITLE to the vehicle. As a condition of sale, the owner’s were required to execute numerous Ford legal documents acknowledging the owners understood and were collective bound by the conditional terms of the prototype vehicle sale (the vehicle would not be titled (by any means) and not be driven on commercial roads). Because of Ford’s interest in liability protection, any new owners of this vehicle would also be bound by the original conditions of sale. Interestingly, the car-buzz sale advertisement makes no mention of this issue, which I would consider significant in the event of sale.

From my contemporaneous notes at the auction and the auction fact sheet for the vehicle-

• The stated odometer reading at the Las Vegas auction was “unknown”. So as the car-buzz advertisement states, “Mileage and pricing weren’t listed but if you have to ask for the latter then don’t even inquire.” does not make much sense. The Ford development program did not even know the mileage on the vehicle when it was auctioned. There was a note on the CP-1 auction sheet that as of 8/21/2008, the emissions lab engine hour meter installed in the vehicle read 180 hours of operation.

• As to the vehicle pricing, Ford attached an auction reserve to Lot #26, CP-1 of $150,000. The car was sold to a pooled group of three individual buyers for $220,000. You will have to ask Joey for the individual buyer’s financial contribution at arriving at the $220K total purchase price.

• As to the car-buzz advertisement statement, “But perhaps this is the best part: a carbon fiber rear clamshell engine cover. That didn’t make production because each unit would cost $45,000 to produce.” Actually from the auction vehicle clamshell description developed by Ford, it was listed as, “Bidirectional (exposed weave) carbon clamshell INNER (my emphasis) panel”. Thus the implied carbon fiber complete rear clamshell (our clamshells are a two piece construction, an inner Carbon Fiber (CF) piece bonded to an outer aluminum skin) is a bit suspect.

Just trying to provide historical facts to our Forum participants who may not know all the details.:thumbsup

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great piece of GT history but not a road car. The ad says "VIN 004," but I'm not sure this is an actual VIN in the legal sense. Joey can clarify, but I think this is just a serial number.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Great piece of GT history but not a road car. The ad says "VIN 004," but I'm not sure this is an actual VIN in the legal sense. Joey can clarify, but I think this is just a serial number.

Good eye Paul and displays your innate attention to detail. And I can clarify. Actually (again) Mr. Traugott who authored the advertisement sale biography for this vehicle is a bit vague.

Yes the car does actually have a VIN, listed as 1FAFP90SX4Y400004 on the auction sheet and thus it could be called VIN 004, but if one is looking to spend $100K for a vehicle, it makes sense (IMO) to disclose the FULL vehicle identification number to prospective buyers.

And since all three of the "Pre-Production" GT vehicles sold at the Las Vegas rally auction all had assigned Ford VIN's, you can certainly understand Ford Motor Company's continued liability interest to insure these vehicles are not operated on the street and that any ownership turnovers require execution of the proper Ford legal documents.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for the additional information Bill. I'm surprised it has a full VIN.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice info Bill
It sure was cool witnessing the auctions in Vegas !
That was a great rally !

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Cp-4 vin 007

5D3_6650.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
It has been brought to my attention that the Carbuzz “article” listed in the Post #1 link written by Mr. Jay Traugott is not really an offer to sell. I launched into my above documentation of this CP-1 car based on zach05855’s characterization “Ford GT Prototype CP-1 for sale” and the follow up comment by nautoncall asking “Wonder what it will sell for?”. Actually Mr. Traugott does state in his article “So how would you feel about owning the 2004 Ford GT prototype? Oh yes, please! Now it’s for sale, courtesy of Exotic Classics in New York.” So he does mention the vehicle is for sale by a dealer in the home state of Mr. Limongelli, one of the group of original owners.

So perhaps Mr. Traugott’s article should not be held to the same level of vehicle description accuracy as an offer to sell by the individual owner. The actual Exotic Classics advertisement to-sell does have a number of accuracies, and inaccuracies.

• “The preceding red, white and blue centennial prototypes were non-runners, built for exhibition only. This car, with VIN 004, was the first prototype fitted with a full drivetrain and interior.”

Unfortunately, not true. Having actually attended the Ford 100 year centennial celebration at Dearborn specifically to see the new 2005-2006 Ford GT, I did get see the three new GT’s on display (red, white (Bill Ford’s personal vehicle) and blue) which were termed within the Ford team as Jobs 1, 2 and 3. At the World Headquarters GT display, I asked Kip Ewing (who I did not know at the time) if one could be started up which he kindly obliged to a welcoming crowd of enthusiasts. J1, J2 and J3 were fully functioning cars with drive-trains and were used later in the day to drive onto Beyonce’s stage prior to her concert. See pages 31-33 of the Ford GT, Team History book for pictures of the cars being driven at the Centennial Celebration.

• “In 2008, CP-1 was purchased from Ford by a respected GT collector and author of the definitive book on the reborn Ford GT.”

Although the 2008 purchase date information is accurate (actually Saturday, September 13, 2008 was the auction date) as stated in my earlier post, the car was sold to a consortium of three individuals (not one). And it is unclear how if one of the owners now offering CP-1 for sale, presumably helped write the vehicle sale description and wrote “the definitive book on the reborn Ford GT” would not know J1, J2 and J3 were fully functional GT’s.

• "The engine compartment on CP1 is fitted with a carbon fiber rear clamshell that dramatically reduced curb weight. However, when Ford execs learned that each clamshell would cost approximately $45,000 to produce, the idea was scrapped in favor of a more traditional, and far less expensive, aluminum tub."

This topic was covered earlier. The clamshell on the production GT is a two piece aluminum exterior with a Sparta Composites Carbon Fiber (CF) interior. See pages 75 and 106 of the Ford GT, Team History book. Again it is unclear how description/discussion of the clamshell morphs into talking about an “aluminum TUB”? Typically the “tub” of a vehicle is the interior structure to which the seats are affixed and appendages extend forward and aft to support the suspension components. The new 2016 Ford GT will have a CF tub.

• "While CP1 has a fully functional powertrain, and the car has a 17-digit VIN, prior to the sale in 2008 Ford engineers installed a chip in the engine to limit top speed to 5 mph. The car is sold on a bill of sale."

True. However, the sale description makes no mention of the Ford liability waiver documents the new owner will be required to execute.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Could have been a work horse, with a 4.6l terminator motor. But here is a pic of CP-4 I found on the SAAC site with the gold wheels. I have no credit to offer on the source of the pix or I would give credit (I downloaded it in march of 2012).

There was an early black car which at one time was fitted with what looked like Gold BBS multi spoke wheels and a 5.0 during testing.

For clarification, CP-4 that xcentric posted. This car was donated by Ford to the Auburn Museum in Indiana. This car was then sold from the collection, at auction, to fund a building project (on a bill of sale, not federalized either). There are many more posts on this car, the damage that it suffered during testing, and now how somehow its titled and on the street.

Attachments

• CP-4 from SAAC site.jpg
    CP-4 from SAAC site.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 214

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
CP-4 was titled and registered in Indiana (I don't know how), which made the Florida transfer as simple as any other car. No inspections in Florida. Just bring a title to the DMV and if the car VIN matches the title you are good to go.

It has since had frame repair (damaged when Mark McGowan ran it over some big spikes during a blowout test), a new gas tank, and a bunch of other work done by a master tech. The same guy who takes care of my car when I can't get to Rich and Denis. Still no air bags.

5D3_6653.jpg

Note the amber lenses on the headlight covers.

5D3_6652.jpg

5D3_6651.jpg

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I believe that was McGowans car

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mark and Scott spent MANY hours in CP-4. And Gary is right, the car got a bit of a shunt. If I recall the spikes went through the wheel (after the tire) ripping the spike plate out of the ground.