Ford GT MK2 @ SEMA

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago

So glad to finally see the ultimate Ford GT in person. Can’t wait to see, hear, and feel this on the track !

It was just last year that I was at SEMA when they opened up the GT Application. They had the 2 Ford GTs and the Racing Simulators that I was racing in the GT.

So HAPPY and BLESSED to be part of the Ford GT Family.

Last edited:
Reactions: digman1

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Your statement, "Can’t wait to see, hear, and feel this on the track !" has made me curious. Has any team announced their purchase/use of the Mk 2 for any series in the forthcoming season? I'm guessing that it's development, "independent of race series rules, regulations and limitations" means no.

...or, has anyone heard of Multimatic putting together a series like the Ferrari Corse Clienti/Ferrari Challenge for the Mk 2?

If it's 'no' on the above two, are there other options than just a personal track car?

I'm probably wrong, though I'm guessing each time out on a track would require 'factory' support personnel as the tech behind it is fairly complex and one-off.

Net Net - will they be anything more than simply another vehicle that one hopes will financially appreciate as driving one doesn't seem likely....and more likely prohibitive!?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ Huh?? This car was not built to race anywhere. It is simply a track toy. Its not actually that complex, it would be no different than seriously tracking your street GT, or any other GTLM GT4 type car. Factory ECU, just turned up a bit. The Motec, is just for data acquisition. I would speculate, not a prayer of any client type race series in the works.

@SPI, was even better when this car was at Petite LeMans, as we all got to touch, and sit in it.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Huh...."With a 700 horsepower 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, race-proven aerodynamics and competition-oriented handling."

and

"Its not actually that complex, it would be no different than seriously tracking your street GT."

Seriously!?

I'm just asking questions. I'm going by the limited amount of information that has been produced so far to describe the Mk 2, and what is generally known about the production street car.

I've read that there is an intent to sell 45 track-only vehicles. There is a HUGE difference between running a track-only Lotus Elise, Porsche GTLM GT4 911, and what Multimatic is intending.

Let's look at aerodynamics.

"The worst airflow a car sees is at its rear edge, where the shape of the vehicle pulls air downward (causing dangerous lift) and generates turbulent, low-pressure air pockets behind the vehicle (contributing to drag)." cribbed

The Mk 2 will have a very small production run, which negates the type of voluminous data collected, archived and shared by the Porsche/Lotus track-only clientele. Therefore, each track will require significant on-the-fly tuning (and the Mk 2 has multiple aerodynamic tuning options) based upon all the variables that change with a mere positioning of the hour hand on a clock. Simply incorrectly setting the pitch of the rear wing could prove extremely dangerous.

I'm positing my suppositions, and asking if anybody has further factual details regarding the REALITY of running the Mk 2, to add to the discussion, rather than simple conjecture.

I trust there is no harm in asking!?

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, there will be other options beyond use as a personal track day car, so for the 45 people that will own the car, they will have those opportunities.

Reactions: DoctorV8

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Very Interesting