Ford GT hits 200+ MPH on public road in Idaho

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I came across this thread of Greg Silvey with a new GT going 206.3 mph in a closed road event. :cheers

[video=youtube;3Ct18uFtNkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ct18uFtNkc[/video]

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
i don't know much about the event, but that's over a mile above sea level.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
That's awesome. Beautiful country too!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Fun,,, Terry has become the master at digging up these GT videos !!

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Love it. Can’t wait to become the local outlaw. Oh wait ....darn it! Just realized stormy beat me too it. Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Wonder why it says Ford GT80 under the finish banner at the end of the video?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The GT80 was a Yamaha minicycle back in the '70-80s. Maybe they are vintage motorcycle fans like me.

Ed

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Cool. Was wondering the same thing about the GT80. Maybe the last 2 numbers of his VIN?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Maybe SteveA knows more since it was in Idaho?

Ed

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Fun,,, Terry has become the master at digging up these GT videos !!

I'm so in love with this car, I think it's an addiction.
Hello, My name is Terry... :lol

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Cool. Was wondering the same thing about the GT80. Maybe the last 2 numbers of his VIN?

That was my guess too.

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
If it hasn't been done sooner, I fully intend to run my GT to Vmax next spring on the Autobahns near me - on the assumption conditions allow and it's safely prepared to do so etc. I've done it in a number of my cars early on Sunday mornings and quite an experience, but obviously requires preparation and traffic to be on side at the time.

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
If it hasn't been done sooner, I fully intend to run my GT to Vmax next spring on the Autobahns near me - on the assumption conditions allow and it's safely prepared to do so etc. I've done it in a number of my cars early on Sunday mornings and quite an experience, but obviously requires preparation and traffic to be on side at the time.

Definitely looking forward to those Autobahn videos - that experience is on my bucket list!

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have been getting lucky with the A81 between Wurzburg and Heilbronn.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
i don't know much about the event, but that's over a mile above sea level.

Altitude kills N/A engines, but I have often wondered how super hi-tech (constant recalibration) forced induction fares cope with extreme altitudes.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
This is the event where Edsel did 186 (I think) in his <1k mile '06 last year (year before? Time flies).

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
This is the event where Edsel did 186 (I think) in his <1k mile '06 last year (year before? Time flies).

Pretty sure it was last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Yes guys, it was last year. I know because, ahem, I was there in my TT and was the fastest car of the event. Dang, but do I Rock!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
some of the old cars have been known to go well over 200 on public roads but I believe this was in Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8xKCrOlcuc

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Altitude kills N/A engines, but I have often wondered how super hi-tech (constant recalibration) forced induction fares cope with extreme altitudes.
Aircraft have use supercharged and turbocharged engines since the 1930's exactly for that reason--to compensate for loss of air density at altitude. In the GTs, the boost of the supercharger is being limited at sea level at full throttle and high RPM (the bypass valve is dumping excess boost), so at higher altitudes, it should still have enough boost to reach maximum power. Plus the air resistance is lower, so in theory you should be able to go even faster than at sea level. However, there are multiple factors involved, so you would need to test on a dyno or on the road to determine what altitude would cause boost not to reach maximum. Based on my experience with aircraft, I would expect that to be more than 10,000 feet, maybe much more.