Ford GT Clamshell assembled incorrectly

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
has anyone had to purchase a new clamshell and found that the RH panel was assembled wrong? have a customer who purchased a clamshell from his dealer to find the RH panel was attached 1/4"-3/8" too far forward towards the roof. he says the window opening didn't even line up for the rear glass. I guess Ford took it back and had it re-worked but still not the greatest fitment. I also heard someone from Mayflower had been hired to work on some of the new stock at Ford. just curious if anyone else has seen this. thanks

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We've had two clamshells over the last six months or so. Both had issues. One was poorly shaped on the right hand section from roof downwards which meant our panel guys having to rework it to get an even gap to the trailing edge of the roof. The second one was too wide at the lower edge - had to bake it in the oven with a ratchet strap round it to encourage it back to shape.

We have previously had good ones which fit well straight out of the box. I would say that they are always very well packaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Seen quite a few of them like this. They just have to be reworked before paint. There are a few other parts on the car that are like this as well. Tried talking to Ford over the years but most of the service parts were built a long time ago.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
thanks Rich and David for your input. guess I've been lucky in the ones I've had to replace. we've had some issues with doors as well. you have to massage them to get the gaps right sometimes.

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
quahog

I notice on my new purchase , 06 GT , when open the rear panel actually contacts the R and L top corners of the fixed rear panel . Otherwise gaps are decent Its in a cold environment. Time for some 3M clears chip guard at the corners.. TGIW

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I notice on my new purchase , 06 GT , when open the rear panel actually contacts the R and L top corners of the fixed rear panel . Otherwise gaps are decent Its in a cold environment. Time for some 3M clears chip guard at the corners.. TGIW
yep common issue. you can get some more adjustment out of both the clamshell and rear bumper cover but it takes very little to get it right. personally I'm more concerned about the gaps when everything is closed that it looks correct. I've seen some really bad fitments after replacement parts installed where time was not taken to obtain the correct gaps. jmo
PS: adjustment has to also be maintained with the clamshell so as not to contact the top rear corner of the side scoops. another good place for 3m clear bra material.

Last edited:

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
quahog

thanks Scott I noticed the rear hinges from a Ford Exploder ?! A BFH and a 2by 4 always use to work . Only trade is auto body trade since 16 I'm afraid. It is a new learning curve for me is all. Postive so far TWIG ? Thank God Its White !

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
thanks Scott I noticed the rear hinges from a Ford Exploder ?! A BFH and a 2by 4 always use to work . Only trade is auto body trade since 16 I'm afraid. It is a new learning curve for me is all. Postive so far TWIG ? Thank God Its White !
no sorry, the hinges are not Explorer. unique to the GT unless you've uncovered something we didn't know???

quahog

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2017
Cape Cod
quahog

Hinges ? still lots to learn here for me . We have an Expedition at the shop as well, will look. I am amazed at how much tooling Ford did to produce this car !