FORD GT build book

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I know this has probably been discussed before but I can't find the thread. I have been collecting any and all literature concerning the FORD GT. One item that I don't have for my car is the build book that Saleen used to assemble the car at Wixom. Does anyone know if these books are available - I would like to get mine before they show up in a dumpster somewhere - hopefully it is not too late.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They are no longer available. They are locked in a warehouse and it's unlikely they'll see the light of day any time soon.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
They are no longer available. They are locked in a warehouse and it's unlikely they'll see the light of day any time soon.

In Detroit? We can just break-in and get them. I know some people who are familiar with the task.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
At least they are being saved.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Do you have the dealer check list/delivery run down sheet or 3 pages from truck delivery.

I think there were 12 pages, 3 hang tags and 8 door/hatch stickers if you want to be full on OCD.

There was an inventory somewhere here..

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
In Detroit? We can just break-in and get them. I know some people who are familiar with the task.

Same guys you used on DBK's Sho?

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Do you have the dealer check list/delivery run down sheet or 3 pages from truck delivery.

I think there were 12 pages, 3 hang tags and 8 door/hatch stickers if you want to be full on OCD.

There was an inventory somewhere here..

The car came to me with 2.2 miles on it/all tags/stickers/plastic on seats, steering wheel etc. I don't have the inventory sheet. Got most all documentation thats been floating on ebay (team yearbook/portfolio etc)over the past 5 years except the extruded aluminum paper weight.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

Dave, hopefully when the day comes, and a decision is made to clean out the warehouse, they won't just destroy these documents. In 20 years these books will be worth their weight in gold to folks looking to restore a FORD GT. Ed

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm not sure exactly what's going to be done with them. Everybody really seemed to lose track/interest in them once they got moved for the final time. They were pretty easy to get ahold of when Saleen was in control of them because they were so lax with stuff Ford is really uptight about. Mike Zielinski gave out a bunch while they were still rolling out of SSV. It's a CYA thing for FMC to not hand them out now, but I don't see why they wouldn't eventually.

I guess I never really thought of them being useful in terms of restoration. Enough of them around that all the exact torque specs and pressures and what not are easy enough to find. It looks like there's about 100 pages in there. But, in the meantime, at least I know my driver window rolled up in 2.61 seconds, and the passenger side rolled down in 2.51. :lol

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I bet my window rolled down faster.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It's a CYA thing for FMC to not hand them out now.

What are they exactly covering their asses on? :confused

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
. . . at least I know my driver window rolled up in 2.61 seconds, and the passenger side rolled down in 2.51.

You got the turbocharged window motors from the factory! My driver's window took 3.04 seconds to roll up and 2.98 to roll down.

Other key information: exact torque readings on the driver's foot rest bolts, exact tire pressures at the end of the line inspection, and the fact that the rollers left Saleen with three lug nuts per wheel!

Seriously, aside from just having the book, there is some cool stuff in there, e.g., fuel tank serial # (which I presume is on the tank also!), key #, misc. changes noted based apparently on things the build teams learned during the production run, etc.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Trade secrets!:secret:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Some dude has the book, sees his car had some problem that required remedy during build, then blames that on him crashing the car and finds a lawyer that says he can sue for $500 Trillion.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Some dude has the book, sees his car had some problem that required remedy during build, then blames that on him crashing the car and finds a lawyer that says he can sue for $500 Trillion.

Dave--that is true but any lawyer with half a brain is going to get that in discovery anyway.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Lawyers :bored

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know, I'm just sayin guys see things and they get ideas. A guy crashes and he thinks "shit, that was dumb." A guy crashes and remembers the car had some bolts replaced and he thinks "Well, maybe that was it. Yeah, that definitely might have been it. Yeah, that was definitely it."

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Too bad. I'm sure there a lot of owners that would pay a pretty penny to have them. And GTDRUMMER is correct, any lawyer can get his hands on it anyway. I can understand the policy in the sense of why for Ford's normal production, but Ford hasn't really made a car this collectible in decades. Maybe someday DBK can work it out for us. If it can be done, I am sure he would do it. I would pay a few hundred for it. Maybe we just need to show interest???

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Keep the number of the warehouse & make them an offer in 20yrs.

Marti Reports & Glovier (Mopar) have made >$$$+ on records that were headed for dumpster.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd love to get them out, but I've had that discussion more than once and they just don't want to do it. I asked again today and was told "not likely", for the reasons mentioned. The company legal team would never allow it.

Reactions: Ed Sims