Ford GT 10th Anniversary Celebration at RIC Building at Ford Campus Yesterday

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
We had a Ford Employee Car show at the Research & Innovation Center yesterday with a special 10th anniversary celebration of the Ford GT. They had parts on display with posters and explanations of the processes used. It was a fun day. I managed to get both cars there. People seemed to really like the GT-R project and to be able to see the "guts" of the car. They let me take home the display poster! I took a quick video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs3RArX7FRA&feature=youtu.be

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
video playback is locked.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Picture of Display

Attachments

• IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 564

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Another picture. I will try to figure out how to unlock the video - sorry about that. I am new to YouTube......

Attachments

• RIC Car show 2013 Lawn.jpg
    RIC Car show 2013 Lawn.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 594

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
.....GT-R with 5.0L Normally Aspirated Boss 302 Motor

Attachments

• IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 618

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Hi Jim, Tell us the story behind those 2 GT's. Do you have any? I'm in Rochester Mi area. Grew up in Southgate/Dearborn area. Where are you.... Keith

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Jim, thanks for the thread, what is the story on the new 5.0 boss motor ??

John

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I often wondered how much weight could be trimmed from the GT. An 8400 rpm, 500 horse Boss would be a neat combo in a lightweight GT.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I often wondered how much weight could be trimmed from the GT. An 8400 rpm, 500 horse Boss would be a neat combo in a lightweight GT.

Just trimming the weight would likely upset the balance of the car, causing it to lose handling characteristics. A good idea - just have to be careful to maintain the distribution....

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
The Grabber Blue GT is a 2005 Ford GT, 4900 miles, I am the second owner. I always loved the 2010 Mustang Grabber Blue color so painted the car that color - I know, I know "Sacrilege" but I wanted it for me.....no regrets - I love the color. I bought the car with some damage so it needed paintwork anyways. Rich & Dennis (GTG) are local guys to me so their advisement and help was priceless!

The Ford GT Gulf Orange car I call the "GT-R" project (well before Nissan called their car the GT-R) which I started in the fall of 2005 where I bought a service chassis (when they were dirt cheap) and many of the parts from the Ford Dealer, ebay, craigslist, this forum, and from the Ford Racing Catalogue in 2005 - built the car up to what I considered a little closer to a GT40 - normally aspirated engine, plastic side windows with pop out vents, bundle of snakes exhaust, etc. It's been a fun project. Track car only. With today's FGT parts prices I don't think anybody could do it reasonably like I managed to do over these years.

I worked with RoushYates to purchase their 5.0L Boss Mustang Racing dry sump system and we have had to "pioneer" a way to make it all work. Their power steering kit also worked out pretty good too. Engine mounts were not too bad, RH side had to be clearanced for the pump and an additional boss added to mate with the 5.0L Coyote block. Trans bolts right up. Back of crank and pilot bearing all the same. Starter bolts right up.

Hoping to get to my 2700 to 2800 weight target!

Attachments

• IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,599
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,290

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for sharing the pictures and video. The orange car is a neat build. I would love to see the bundle of snakes exhaust if you have already fabricated it.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I attended as well, sorry to have missed you Jim. While there I happened to speak to one of Ford's Group VP's, who had stopped by to admire the GT's. It is amazing. The car is now 10 (engineering) years old and it still is a major source of pride, not just the GT build Team - that you all know and love, but the folks from Ford Research and Engineering Labs, where this show was held. A few of their enabling contributions were listed on that placcard above - e.g. friction stir welding

Nice work on your GT-R project!! I'd guess if the Boss/Coyote were around in 2004, that's what would have been in our cars.

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Ya gotta put 4 Webers on the Orange one! Maybe Joey can get 'em off the car from the Hall of Fame.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ya gotta put 4 Webers on the Orange one! Maybe Joey can get 'em off the car from the Hall of Fame.

Eight stack fuel injection is also available for the Coyote 5.0.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0OrKoQ6aCns&desktop_uri=/watch?v=0OrKoQ6aCns

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Jim met you in Dearborn as well, you have a great concept going. I have had many discussions with Scott, cobrar and others about a na gt. it will be killer.

Jim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 17, 2006
Michigan
Thanks for the compliments guys - yes, it sure would be neat to look thru the rear window and see 8 velocity stacks and a bundle of snakes exhaust running right by them. Scott Ahlman (brilliant chassis engineer who designed the shock/spring combo) encouraged me to design the exhaust up. I have started to work on it. It is a fun & challenging project trying to sort out all the interface issues (like getting the Coyote engine to "talk" to the Ford GT Gauges, PATS module, SBDJ, Fuel FDM, etc.).

Attachments

• PA164563.jpg
    PA164563.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 666
  • PA164571.jpg
    PA164571.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Sorry for asking but I am not that much into US engines.

What is the purpose of putting that engine in ? I took a short peak onto the wikipedia site which said something about standard 440 HP for that engine. But I guess we're not talking about a standard engine, right ?

Matthias

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ignorant q, Jim, why not punt the OEM infrastructure and use motec or... As its a track car so airbags etc don't matter? I fully understand cost might be the reason.

Great project. I need the time capsule to buy more stuff back in the early days....

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Mattias part of the magic is loss of weight. The 5.0 is hopped up, but also a couple hundred pounds are lost because of the lack of supercharger, and more importantly the plumbing etc for intercooler.