pay attention to the comments at 3:00
interesting take

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Several of the tier one automotive suppliers are customers of mine and I have seen this plant. There is no doubt that "Ford has a better idea:. Sometimes the difference between theory and practical application is political. The auto manufacturers have NO CHANCE of surviving here unless drastic changes are made...like this one.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Mullaly should show this video at the "bailout" hearings.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Excellent piece Todd, and thank you.
Re the comments around 3:00. DUH!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Henry himself start a utopian type colony there back in the 20's that failed? Were going to grow their own rubber trees, planted too close together, plant disease, whole project failed and fell into a state of despair? Is this the same place?

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
If I'm not mistaken, didn't Henry himself start a utopian type colony there back in the 20's that failed? Were going to grow their own rubber trees, planted too close together, plant disease, whole project failed and fell into a state of despair? Is this the same place?

The project internally was called "Fordlandia" I believe. After spending somewhere around $20M Ford abandoned the project and sold the land back to Brazil.

A very different project than Camcari (the video above) and in a different location, it was supposed to produce natural rubber, not cars. For'd Camcari project ironicllay was refeered to as "Amazon" ~ not the dot com entity. Below is a link to a one year old article on the Camcari plant and some important 'lessons learned' :

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN1932361020071128?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0