For you guys doing your own oil change at 600 miles/1000 km

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I’m no oil expert, but the price of this oil is bull****. Has anyone been able to determine exactly what is so special about the formulation of this oil?
It has "GT" on it

Reactions: GKW05GT

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Lucas High Performance 5W-50 meets Ford spec WSS-M2C931-C. $13.99/qt with free shipping at Amazon.

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 also meets the spec for about the same price.

Probably many others do too, if the manufacturers want to bother to certify for such low volume sales.

It's oil for direct injection turbos. Anti-coking. What is special about the Castrol is the deal with Ford (no facts/pure opinion).

Last edited:
Reactions: soroush

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Not for nothing, and I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but do what the manual tells you.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well Son of a gun.... Great Find! Its on page 211 of a manual I have:

"We recommend Castrol Edge Supercar
5W-50 motor oil for your Ford GT. If this
oil is not available, use motor oils of the
recommended viscosity grade that meet
the Ford specification of WSS-M2C931-C
such as Motorcraft® 5W-50.
Do not use oil labeled with API SN service
category unless the label also displays the
API certification mark."

I will still light my money on fire and use the Castrol, at least for the warranty period (and probably after that too), but stocking the standard Motorcraft 5-50 is easy for some other cars, and 05 GT is appealing.

Lastly the Ford GT team lurkers must find threads like this VERY amusing....

The hilarious thing about all this is that the owners manual states that if the super-expensive Edge GT isn’t available, then go ahead and use regular Motorcraft 5-50 ( page 207)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
All durability and hard use testing was done with the Castrol oil. If you are going to use the car hard, it's what I would use. It's what the manual recommends and the prices of oil changes people are getting are still less than what you'd pay on a garden variety $200k Lambo. Or I would use the Motorcraft, also specified in the manual. You can point your local servicing dealer to what a reasonable price on the oil is or just buy the stuff yourself and do it.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
The edge Supercar GT apparently has super-high zinc content. Who knew zinc was so expensive?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The edge Supercar GT apparently has super-high zinc content. Who knew zinc was so expensive?
Where did you hear it has high zinc content?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Where did you hear it has high zinc content?

All Castrol Edge oils have fairly high zinc and phosphorous (aka ZDDP). Not super high. Similar to Rotella T, which is one reason I use that in my GT. Most oils reduced ZDDP years ago, because it can foul catalysts if the oil is burned. It's not a reason why the oil should cost more though.

Castrol claims their "fluid titanium" (Titanium FST) is a big deal. IDK.

Last edited:

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...CF1D3D28025803500282E3A/$File/BPXE-AD5BK4.pdf

This is about the most information I can find on this stuff.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Call me simple minded. Or like Andy burning money.But I'm sticking with The Castrol Edge GT oil.
If I'm willing to spend what I did for the NFGT,I'm willing to spend money on the oil

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Oh, I’ll buy it too. It’s a little therapeutic for me to gripe about it.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I just checked and the local “Econo Lube ‘N Tube” has Pennzoil Ultra. They admit they’ve never worked on a NFGT but are willing to give it a go.

Seems I could save a bundle... :p

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
What could go wrong? Oh wait, they pulled the 3rd drain plug...... (the one you do NOT pull for an oil change, oil cooler circuit that needs to be bled if that plug is removed)

I just checked and the local “Econo Lube ‘N Tube” has Pennzoil Ultra. They admit they’ve never worked on a NFGT but are willing to give it a go.

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX

Seems I could save a bundle... :p
Maybe they can do a tune on your GT as well and you can skip sending it to Rich, Torrie, Heffner, Hennessey and/or etc. They might even give you a bulk rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ENZO BTR

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Didn’t Stormcat or Soroush or someone say that changing the oil on the NFGTs is even easier than on our old ones? I’m most likely going to just do it myself...not to save money (which I’m not opposed to), but just to be sure the job is done with painstaking care. That will free up a few $ to splurge on “the good stuff” for oil! 😁

Reactions: steved57

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Oil change on new GT isa piece of cake - half the belly pan screws to deal with plus a filter that doesn’t puke oil everywhere when you take it off. Also, no need to prime the motor before starting. It’s an hour’s job at most.

Reactions: DakotaGT

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^^ Agreed.

You actually spend more time under there looking at things and figuring the car out. So add in at least a half hour to the estimate above....

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
The hilarious thing about all this is that the owners manual states that if the super-expensive Edge GT isn’t available, then go ahead and use regular Motorcraft 5-50 ( page 207)

The Motorcraft 5W50 bottle has shown it is applicable for the new GT, but I have no other info than that.

Pics of the new bottle posted in a previous thread.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
^^^^ Agreed.

You actually spend more time under there looking at things and figuring the car out. So add in at least a half hour to the estimate above....

I had no intention of doing it myself...but you guys are making me think about it.

Especially since I just ordered the oil and filter at what seems much lower than the dealer prices I was reading above.

Hmmm...:unsure:

jnirenstein

GT Owner
May 3, 2014
Norcal
2020 Oil change update. Just had mine done at Ford of Fairfield in CA. (4) HG7Z*19M544*A @ $216.81 = $867.24 (1) HG7Z*6731*A Filter @ $70.34 (1) Hr. Labor @ $199.95. Total $1137.53. They are a certified GT service dealer and I know both the owner and the GM well. The tech Sean clearly knew what he was doing and had a lot of experience with at least 10 previous cars. The boss let me in the shop to watch the whole process. Clearly the cost of the oil continues to skyrocket. I am used to $199/hr labor rates at dealers in CA but I am certainly not used to $54/qt for oil! Ouch!! As I now see how easy the oil change is I will likely do it myself next time around. It did take them 3 weeks to get the correct oil filter. I'm tempted to order another one now and keep it on the shelf if they are going to continue to be difficult to get!

Reactions: 93extxdps