Thank you

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Now you need a chicken rotoserrie :)
By the way, wore my DELTA BAIL BONDS shirt on visit to Amsterdam by night :)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It's the new Batmobile.

86blackwidow

Mar 10, 2008
Ventura,ca
Cool video. That is just because raw fuel is puddling in the exhaust right?

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The guys I drive with always get a real kick when they see flames shooting out the exhaust of mine as well. I have the Heffner but I'm presuming this occurs with all of us with aftermarket systems.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
The guys I drive with always get a real kick when they see flames shooting out the exhaust of mine as well. I have the Heffner but I'm presuming this occurs with all of us with aftermarket systems.

Nope.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
People just don't SEE exotics with afterburners very often evidently...:frown

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have removed the CATs so the systems is pretty much straight through. It happens when I go into WOT at high RPMs and then quickly let off the gas. I think it takes the computer a few second to readjust to "open loop" (I think it's called open loop). While the car is running rich you get the light show.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Now you need a chicken rotoserrie :)
By the way, wore my DELTA BAIL BONDS shirt on visit to Amsterdam by night :)

Did you notice anyone sneak out the back door when they saw you? I know I've got one iat Scotland Yard now. Maybe they will let you bring him home for me.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Mark, ya still have the 02's installed?

BTW - loved the video!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes, the O2s are still there (I used Ford cat delete system). However, when I run the car on a Dyno it shows a little lean... I think I have a small leak in the exhaust system. Other than shooting flames out the back, the car is running great.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mark, ya still have the 02's installed?

The ECU will only look at O2's in closed-loop. When the go-pedal is pressed down good, you're in open-loop real quick.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The ECU will only look at O2's in closed-loop. When the go-pedal is pressed down good, you're in open-loop real quick.

Okay then I had it backwards. Open loop is when the computer is using a set map of fuel ratio's and closed loop is when the computer is self adjusting in an attempt to meet a target A/F. Is that correct?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
love the video, every time we go out my friends are always telling me about the flames coming out of my car, but I had never seen it, thanks for the vid, now I know what they look like, bad ass:thumbsup

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thanks for the video Mark! I have always wanted to see what the "reported flames" look like! :thumbsup

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI

That's too bad. I'm just happy mine's a flamethrower. :banana

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
So that's how my bumper caught on fire!!:willy

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Okay then I had it backwards. Open loop is when the computer is using a set map of fuel ratio's and closed loop is when the computer is self adjusting in an attempt to meet a target A/F. Is that correct?

Fubar, I wasn't trying to nit-pick you but was responding to the question if you still had your O2's or not.

Regarding your question;

Normal, narrow-band O2 sensors as in the GT are only good at reporting A/F's of 14.7:1. In normal driving, the car WANTS to run at 14.7:1 so the ECU is controlling injector pulse and then looking at the O2 sensors to see how it did. The O2's will report back above or below the line and the ECU will continue to "walk this fence" and the result is a happy engine running at 14.7:1. This is called closed-loop because the ECU fires the injectors, polls the O2's, adjusts, fires the injectors, polls, etc. This is a closed-loop system.

However, when the engine is put under load, the engine engineers no longer want a 14.7: A/F. While good for the engine, cats, and environment for steady state, no-load driving, it is too lean for a loaded engine. Contrary to what many people believe, the O2's can only reliably report above or below 14.7:1. If the engineers want the target to be, for example 12:1 A/F, then the O2 data is not useful and is therefore ignored. Instead, the engine uses MAF data (volume of air the engine is digesting), air temp, pressure, etc. and looks all of this up in a table and determines how to pulse the injectors. There is no confirmation or feedback loop, hence the term, "open-loop". A bad tune can cost you an engine... so this is why you should stick to the tuners that are part of this forum.

So, when someone like Hennesy or Heffner is creating a custom tune for you, they are modifying what the car's behavior will be in open-loop. Normal, non-load, driving will be in closed-loop and your car will run at exactly 14.7:1. In fact, if at any time the ECU cannot achieve 14.7:1 a check engine light will be displayed and the ECU will go into a pre-programmed, "I'll get you home", open-loop limp mode.

You will often hear people say that they think their car is running too rich, or too lean after a tune but this can ONLY be applicable for aggressive driving. If you get a custom tune and toodle around in your car and you have no Check Engine Light, rest assured that your ECU is fat and happy "walking the fence" with O2 feedback right at 14.7:1

Sorry, more than you probably ever wanted to know...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Fubar, I wasn't trying to nit-pick you but was responding to the question if you still had your O2's or not.

Regarding your question;

Normal, narrow-band O2 sensors as in the GT are only good at reporting A/F's of 14.7:1. In normal driving, the car WANTS to run at 14.7:1 so the ECU is controlling injector pulse and then looking at the O2 sensors to see how it did. The O2's will report back above or below the line and the ECU will continue to "walk this fence" and the result is a happy engine running at 14.7:1. This is called closed-loop because the ECU fires the injectors, polls the O2's, adjusts, fires the injectors, polls, etc. This is a closed-loop system.

However, when the engine is put under load, the engine engineers no longer want a 14.7: A/F. While good for the engine, cats, and environment for steady state, no-load driving, it is too lean for a loaded engine. Contrary to what many people believe, the O2's can only reliably report above or below 14.7:1. If the engineers want the target to be, for example 12:1 A/F, then the O2 data is not useful and is therefore ignored. Instead, the engine uses MAF data (volume of air the engine is digesting), air temp, pressure, etc. and looks all of this up in a table and determines how to pulse the injectors. There is no confirmation or feedback loop, hence the term, "open-loop". A bad tune can cost you an engine... so this is why you should stick to the tuners that are part of this forum.

So, when someone like Hennesy or Heffner is creating a custom tune for you, they are modifying what the car's behavior will be in open-loop. Normal, non-load, driving will be in closed-loop and your car will run at exactly 14.7:1. In fact, if at any time the ECU cannot achieve 14.7:1 a check engine light will be displayed and the ECU will go into a pre-programmed, "I'll get you home", open-loop limp mode.

You will often hear people say that they think their car is running too rich, or too lean after a tune but this can ONLY be applicable for aggressive driving. If you get a custom tune and toodle around in your car and you have no Check Engine Light, rest assured that your ECU is fat and happy "walking the fence" with O2 feedback right at 14.7:1

Sorry, more than you probably ever wanted to know...

not at all, great stuff, thanks for the info.:thumbsup