First Time Rally Attendee - What to expect

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I have decided to attend Rally V and am very excited as this will most likely be my first time behind the wheel of my Heritage GT, first Rally and the first time to be around other FGT owners in a face to face environment. I’ve done some regional and national car meets with my MGs, but I believe this Rally experience will be at a much different level. A couple of questions come to mind as I get ready to attend the event so please be patient if they seem to be old hat for those of you who have attended all the Rallies.

1) How many people drive their GTs to the event vs. transporting them vs. just showing up without a GT?

2) How many people will be actually driving their GTs long distance to attend the meet? I’ve seen some discussions about groups traveling together and meeting up at different spots around the US. Is anyone welcomed to join if those groups even if they are not driving their car?

3) Any special considerations about traveling long distance in a GT? What about luggage space (for the wife)? Any special concerns about break downs along the way or tire problems to worry about? In my MGs usually the trunk space is filled with spare parts and have actually changed a water pump in a torrential downpour along side of the road on the way to Indianapolis.

4) Is there an official registration process for those attending? I’ve already booked the room which seemed to be important, but not sure what else I need to do.

5) Will there be a listing of actual activities and events for attendees? What will go on at VIR? Any place/activities for a person who is just getting acquainted with driving a high performance car such as ours? If some of these questions will be addressed in the future as the date gets closer I apologize for asking this early.

6) Anything special for the spouses who are attending other than watch their husbands walking around with huge grins on their faces the whole time?

7) What else do I consider or advice for attending the Rally?

Posting on the Forum has been a great experience, but I do need to put some faces to the postings. In contemplating on driving to Rally V I keep remembering what my oldest son said when I told him about buying my GT:

"As long as you treat it like what it is - a car and not an investment, museum piece, family member, etc - I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.”

I think he would be saying get in the car, head out and make sure you have fun. Looking forward to Rally V and all that is before and after comprising “the journey of GT ownership”. :cheers

Thanks,
Magic

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Before everyone chimes in on answers, read the threads on the previous Rallies - we post pictures, ask questions, ----very similar! That will give you a good idea to start from.

:thumbsup:cheers:thumbsup

Ralphie

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Magic, there will be lots of track time. At bare minimum, you will need a Snell 2005 approved helmet (make sure stickers are on it). A six point harness is a real plus, but probably not absolute. DBK has not posted track rules yet. I've been very happy with my Arai GP5W. Your problem will be overdriving your new car and getting used to the handling. Remember, don't punch it with the wheel turned.

There are no rules as to who meets where and travels together. It's open to everyone. We put up lists so we can arrange hotels, restaurants, parking, etc. We have used my place (centrally located around St. Louis) to get together and caravan to Detroit and Indy in the past. When we leave St. Louis for VA, we will probably meet some of the guys coming from Indy/Detroit along the way in KY someplace. Luggage space is a problem. Several solutions: fly the wife there with baggage and you have a nice, quiet ride with the boys, FedEx your luggage to hotel ahead of the Rally, or travel very light. Some guys will be trailering and offer to carry luggage in their trailers or trucks.

Most important, new guys ALWAYS pick up the bar bill. Keep away from MAD in NC and StormCat.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Continued

Not many guys bring their wives. We'll be spending a lot of time at the track, and unless she's a driver, it's going to cost you in shopping money.

Depending on distance, some guys drive all the time, some guys tow, some guys have them delivered, and some guys come sans car. We don't care, we're there for the car and the friendship.

DBK will put up an open registration with pricing. It is an all inclusive price (not hotel or the drinks you buy us other members). It will cover registation, track time and usually two dinners. Probably won't be done until after LeMans.

Are you intending on driving your new car from someplace?

Once again, avoid MAD in NC and StormCat.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Continued

Not many guys bring their wives. We'll be spending a lot of time at the track, and unless she's a driver, it's going to cost you in shopping money.

Depending on distance, some guys drive all the time, some guys tow, some guys have them delivered, and some guys come sans car. We don't care, we're there for the car and the friendship.

DBK will put up an open registration with pricing. It is an all inclusive price (not hotel or the drinks you buy us other members). It will cover registation, track time and usually two dinners. Probably won't be done until after LeMans.

Are you intending on driving your new car from someplace?

Once again, avoid MAD in NC and StormCat.

#1. Don't listen to Frank (fjpikul). You might wind up at a strip club late at night with your GT in the parking lot unattended.

#2. Make friends with Mark (fubar). He is a bailbondsman.

More later

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I’ve seen some discussions about groups traveling together and meeting up at different spots around the US. Is anyone welcomed to join if those groups even if they are not driving their car?

Yes. All members and guests are more than welcome.

Last edited:

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Not many guys bring their wives.

And hardly anybody brings more than one.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
:lol:lol:lol
And hardly anybody brings more than one.

Aug 25, 2006
I have decided to attend Rally V and am very excited as this will most likely be my first time behind the wheel of my Heritage GT, first Rally and the first time to be around other FGT owners in a face to face environment. I’ve done some regional and national car meets with my MGs, but I believe this Rally experience will be at a much different level. A couple of questions come to mind as I get ready to attend the event so please be patient if they seem to be old hat for those of you who have attended all the Rallies.

1) How many people drive their GTs to the event vs. transporting them vs. just showing up without a GT?

2) How many people will be actually driving their GTs long distance to attend the meet? I’ve seen some discussions about groups traveling together and meeting up at different spots around the US. Is anyone welcomed to join if those groups even if they are not driving their car?

3) Any special considerations about traveling long distance in a GT? What about luggage space (for the wife)? Any special concerns about break downs along the way or tire problems to worry about? In my MGs usually the trunk space is filled with spare parts and have actually changed a water pump in a torrential downpour along side of the road on the way to Indianapolis.

4) Is there an official registration process for those attending? I’ve already booked the room which seemed to be important, but not sure what else I need to do.

5) Will there be a listing of actual activities and events for attendees? What will go on at VIR? Any place/activities for a person who is just getting acquainted with driving a high performance car such as ours? If some of these questions will be addressed in the future as the date gets closer I apologize for asking this early.

6) Anything special for the spouses who are attending other than watch their husbands walking around with huge grins on their faces the whole time?

7) What else do I consider or advice for attending the Rally?

Posting on the Forum has been a great experience, but I do need to put some faces to the postings. In contemplating on driving to Rally V I keep remembering what my oldest son said when I told him about buying my GT:

"As long as you treat it like what it is - a car and not an investment, museum piece, family member, etc - I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.”

I think he would be saying get in the car, head out and make sure you have fun. Looking forward to Rally V and all that is before and after comprising “the journey of GT ownership”. :cheers

Thanks,
Magic

Magic

Welcome and rather than attempt to answer the specific questions I will simply state that a "great" time will be had by all including you.

The Rally gathering IMO gets better and better every year as it is a combination of wonderful moments in time with the gals and a time for old and new friends to be together.

See you soon

Shadowman

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Magic,

Last year was my first. Great group of people and guaranteed good good time. DBK will open up registration and after you sign up will have a packet ready when you arrive with lots of info including a name tag, on a neck lanyard. Wear it so that everyone gets to know you. Biggest problem I had was associating who was who. Bring a camera, I still look thru my 200+ pictures to re-live the good times.

BTW- You mentioned in a earlier post about when you return to the states maybe living in Texas. What part, we need more Gt's and we just making sure we save a spot for Chip!:rofl

Larry Boatner

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Take as many thrill rides at the Track as possible!!!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I take exception to Frank's note on ''don't bring the wives"...I have attended all 4 Rally's and My wife has been to all 4 ...and my daughter to 2 of the 4.
My wife Margaret will be at VIR too...at RAlly 5 so we will see you there...
Dave and Chip, The Mooses, Tony from Ohio...etc all come in pairs with spouses.....
So don't believe Frank on this one...YOU can Bring the wife...and sons and daughters...

We, as a family, have had great experiences that we talk about to this day...from Detroit, NewportBeach, Vegas, Austin.
Just my 2cents...

AJB :) :)

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My wife has attended II, II, & IV and will be attending V and loves it. I personally wish more wife's attended as there is plenty of shopping opportunities as well as just visiting with other wifes. The more the better. Doing things together has always been a great plus for Sue and I. Tomy Hamon

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
1st Timer

Magic - be prepared to buy Dr F & Special Ed a lot of drinks! Actually others will probably need drinks also. First timers usually buy these. Welcome!

Ed

PS Manhattan coming your way Bony!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Magic - be prepared to buy Dr F & Special Ed a lot of drinks! Actually others will probably need drinks also. First timers usually buy these. Welcome!

Ed

PS Manhattan coming your way Bony!

BS Actually, in fact - Old timers love to buy for the new owners - Don't let them scare you off....:cheers

(Dr. Pikul excepted)

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I take exception to Frank's note on ''don't bring the wives"...I have attended all 4 Rally's and My wife has been to all 4 ...and my daughter to 2 of the 4.
AJB :) :)

Veronica has been to every single Rally. She has made a lot of great friends and looks forward to these events as much as I do. She is pictured below with her driving instructor and two fisted drinking parter Jamal Hamedi. My son Charley attended the first three Rallies but football prevented him from attending the last one.

Your wife will have a great time.

Chip

Attachments

• Wife 1.jpg
    Wife 1.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I'll vouch for the wife part (not wives!!):eek

The rally's are a blast, the cars go fast, the people get blasted (or is that plastered). And it's all good, clean fun (other than that incident in Vegas when we had to post bail.... but it was all a misunderstanding. Really.)

Lady Moose

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Even us non-drinkers can come...what a great country

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Bringing someone else's wife might make it more more interesting!:wink
After all, variety is the..........never mind:biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Expect to see me whip out.

Did so in Vegas and Texas, this time I don't think I'll even bother washing my car before it heads up there. :biggrin