First drive of the year :)

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I took mine for a spin today in the unseasonably spring like weather - actually quite scary after a few months without driving it....

Mix left hand drive, UK narrow roads and a few roadworks and it was heart in the mouth stuff.

Having long ago sold my Astons, Lambo and Bentley, it's quite odd to once again be a 'traffic stopper' in the GT, I'd forgotten that people stop and stare, that traffic parts like the red sea and that small boys drop their ice creams!

I overtook a row of 5 cars on a straight stretch and was approaching Warp Factor 1.2 by the fifth car.

I now need my medication. :biggrin

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Hi Neil,

Glad you could get out on the road again. How many GT's are in England?

DeaconBlues

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2006
New Mexico
Very cool, Neil. Mine was out 2 weeks ago for the first time since November. Still alot of gravel in medians and on roadside but it felt great to be in the GT's driver seat again.:cheers

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
You are one brave guy. I know the feeling of getting behind the wheel of a high performance car after winter storage. Thankfully, having a GT and other Hi-Po cars at my Arizona keeps me "current" (as the pilots say) year-round. Hope you get more nice days soon!

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Mix left hand drive, UK narrow roads and a few roadworks and it was heart in the mouth stuff.

Tim's right - you're a brave man!

For those who've never driven the beautifully winding narrow roads in the UK countryside, you can't fully appreciate what a challenge this must be - I think I'd do the medication before the drive! The dry stone walls must look pretty scary from the left seat of the GT.

It must have been especially nice to get out after the snow you had a month ago. :cheers

PS. The winter layup in Phoenix was from February 8th to February 9th this year..., but we pay dearly six months later! :lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Neil,

Glad you could get out on the road again. How many GT's are in England?

There are 28 'official' cars in the UK and maybe another 30 (I'm not sure) so the GT is extremely rare.

And yes, GT38, the dry stone walls were a bit close! :eek

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Neil, the weather here in the Seattle area is probably similar to what you have to live with - with that said I drive mine every dry opportunity I get. Ed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It must have been especially nice to get out after the snow you had a month ago. :cheers

A MONTH ago? We had 4-5 inches of that junk just fall outta the blue (grey?) day B4 yesterday! 'Melted the same day though, thank God.

SPRING can't get here too soon...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Glad to hear you got her out and had a great time. :thumbsup

I took a SoCal trip this weekend for an upgrade after a two month hiatus and it was perfect. My wife was following me part of the way (and driving part of the way :eek) and she was amazed at how "the traffic parts like the red sea" to quote Neil while she was behind me.....that and how many people speed up, take pics and try to run you off the road gawking at the car. GOOD TIMES!!! :biggrin :cheers

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"SPRING can't get here too soon"

Ditto that. I drove the GT yesterday while the sun actually was shining to go pick up some steaks, but even with the recent torrential rains (and some flash flooding in the usual places) and no road salt (newly salted again today with this morning's snow), the temps never topped 27 F, so I took it reaaallly easy. Plenty of GT gawkers at Fresh Market, including a "can't believe you're driving that car this time of year." Still, the closest I came to passing anyone ala Nielda was moving past parked cars.

It was nice to start thecar and drive it a bit, but this schizophrenic weather is getting very old.:ack