finally hooked up ipod to mcintosh

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
sorry about lack of pics, i only had 1 hr free time while kids were out of house tonight.

there are a few tricks i learned.

1) the radio bezel pieces pull outwards, towards you. not to the sides as the shop manual indicates. took me a while to figure that one out, almost busted the bezel pieces.

2) biggest shortcut - it is not necessary to remove the consoles as the manual says. i took a chance and tried it without removing the console since i didn't have the time. just be careful when pulling out the mcintosh to not scratch the console. i covered console with towel as analog suggested to me.

3) when inserting the radio puller tools, insert them on the "outside" of the spring clips. i.e. when inserting the one on the right, insert to the right of the exposed clip (it will be obvious when you see it)

after the head unit comes out, on the radio wiring harness there are 2 rubber covered RCA connectors. remove rubber covers, hook up ipod rca cable.

i just routed the cable out the passenger side, and can leave the ipod in the passenger cubby when not in use. there are probably more elegant ways to route this cable if one removes the console to do the job.

sorry if this is a repeat, i just hadn't seen a writeup on this topic.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Where did you get the radio puller tools? Thanks for the post, no one's actually written about the hook-up. How do you power the i-pod?

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Ipod

Monk-

Do the RCA connectors go to the Aux port? To use the ipod do you switch to aux mode? Thanks.

Jazz76

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 9, 2006
Harleysville, PA
No sound from sub

Was listening to a CD and when the volume is up, I really do not hear anything from the big sub woofer is there a switch or setting.

Hubert

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Sub Woofer

Hubert-

Sometimes on my Mac it seems that the sub woofer is not working but when I put my hand on it I sure can feel it. Did you adjust the balance??

Jazz76

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 9, 2006
Harleysville, PA
Thanks will try

Never thought of that will try thanks, only 300 miles on it and still taking it all in.

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
the aux input is connected to the rca connectors.

i ordered the radio puller 'tools' from my ford dealer parts dept.

3 simple pieces of metal is all it is. one to pull off the bezel, the other 2 to lock to the sides of the radio to pull it out.

there is an earlier posting when someone pointed out the part number to me.

GJC

GT Owner
Mar 31, 2006
Brea, CA
Radio Removal

The shop manual suggests removing the lower instument panel cover to remove the radio. Is this necessary?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
GJC - You do not have to remove the center console - just be careful and suggest using a towel between the radio being removed and the console.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Did you ever get photos of the iPOD installation process as you performed it, and were the Ford tools readily available?

How long did all of it take? And with what you now know, how long would it take to do it (or undo it) again?

Sorry, I do not know anything about my radio. Is there an AUX port on the McIntosh?

Thanks

- doc