Final Rally 13 Track Information

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Those planning on enjoying the Rally 13 track event at Apex Racetrack, November 3, 2021, here are some details-

Let’s all be smart and safe on the track! Drive your car within YOUR limits. This is NOT a race but we want you to be safe and have FUN with your car!

Drivers meeting is at 7:30 am sharp and will be held in the temporary Apex clubhouse. It will take over an hour to drive from the hotel to the track so plan accordingly. Again 7:30 sharp as there is much material to cover in a short time period.

There will be three driver skill groups, Advanced (red band), Intermediate (Blue band) and Novice (Green band). You initially registered for one of these run groups when you completed the Rally registration. Initial census indicates approximately 27 drivers in Advanced, 38 drivers in Intermediate and 34 drivers in Novice. That is a fairly good split of cars on the 2.3 mile (Phase 1) track.

If you feel the need or wish to revise your chosen run group, see Dr. Frank after the drivers meeting.

Please fill in the attached drivers tech sheet assessing your cars’ track readiness. Hand these forms in to Dr. Frank after the drivers meeting and he will give you your run group wrist band. No form, No run wrist band. Driver wrist bands will be checked by the track-out Procter for every session, so drivers please be prepared to show your band prior to entering the track.

Track gates open at 6:30 am. Track goes green at 8:00 am, closes from 12:00 to 12:30 for lunch, and goes cold at 4:00 pm. There are no corner workers at this track and all corner signals are by lights. To be discussed at the drivers meeting. Run sessions will be 20 minutes in length in rotation Advanced, Intermediate, Novice beginning at 8:20 am.

From 8:00 am to 8:20 am open track for all run groups with no passing allowed (standing yellow flag). Good time to familiarize yourself with the track layout, warm up tires, brakes and your head. Advanced will then start the 3-class rotations at 8:20.

From 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm open track for all run groups with novice passing rules to be discussed at drivers meeting.

Long pants and closed toe lace-up (no loafers) shoes are required. Shirts may be long or short sleeved. Helmets SA2015 or SA2020.

91 octane ($4.60/gal +tax) and 100 octane (8.75/gal +tax) fuels are available at the track.

Both windows down when driving on the track. Do not run the car air conditioner while on the track as it produces water which drips onto the track.

Install Ford supplied tow hook on front of car just in case.

Advanced and Intermediate group drivers are allowed to take passengers with appropriate pants/shirt/shoes and helmet. Novice drivers cannot take passengers on the track for rides. Only person allowed with a Novice driver is an Advanced wrist band driver. You Advanced drivers make yourself available to a track newcomer for some in-car coaching. We were all nervous during our first outings.

Remember, this event is NOT a race. And have Fun on the track!

Attachments

• Rally 13 Tech Sheet.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: GSix and extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
That's great, Bill (y) Is a full-face helmet with shield required? Or are the open-face helmets with no shield allowed?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Session schedule, which will be the reverse side of your event credential:

Schedule.jpg

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
That's great, Bill (y) Is a full-face helmet with shield required? Or are the open-face helmets with no shield allowed?
Open face helmets are fine and no-shield requirement. Actually Blake and I prefer the open face helmets when we are tracking. Makes it easier for me to install my person-to-person communicator.

Reactions: extrap

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
A question was raised about any rally participants not having their GT's at the event. If you do choose to participate in the track day event with a non-GT (including rental cars), you will be restricted to Novice group with Novice group rules for the track event. And understand there will be a very large speed differential between a non-GT and any model GT so those non-GT drivers should be constantly watching for overtaking traffic and pointing the GT by.

Reactions: BtwoG

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Should be fun!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Have fun!Looks like a well organized track event! Nice job Bill and gang!!
Wish I could be there!
See you in 2022!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
More track stuff: Bring earplugs - if can be very loud. Bring a set of hand-held walkie talkies for the drives. It makes it much easier when someone gets lost or warning about LEOs. DBK usually makes sure we have ample iced water bottles present. Hydration is very, very important. Bring a folding chair if you can. If you don't have Nomex driving gloves, think about some golf gloves.

We have an announcer provided they have a PA system who will announce each upcoming session approximately 10 minutes before it begins.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Fine point: Are zip-up boots allowed in lieu of lace-up?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I would say no. You don't want anything loose preventing your feet from moving around in the peddle box. Lace up tennis shoes are fine. Higher boot type heels may make your foot side around of get caught in the pedal box. Doing 130 mph down the straight and standing on the brakes is no time for your feet to be slipping. Remember, you are not the only one on the track doing high speeds.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I was thinking of my motorcycle boots, the ones with thin soles, not motocross boots. But okay, I’ll use leather lace up boots instead.