Field Trip to GT Central

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Let me preface my comments by stating that this may sound like a paid commercial but it isn't and I am sincere in what I am about to say. So being retired, I am always looking for something fun and unusual to do (some call it old and boring). I have been doing business with Elite Autos and Shelby Smith for the last eight years or more. I have bought and sold a number of GTs thru Elite Autos but have never met Shelby in person nor visited his store. I have a GT sitting there that I purchased but haven't taken delivery of yet (long story). So last week I thought why not go on a road trip to Arkansas and meet Shelby, see his store and look at my GT. Off I go on a 900 mile road trip from central Florida to Jonesboro, AR. Beautiful drive thru the Florida Panhandle, rural Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee. Little traffic, nice cool weather and great scenery. I arrived at the shop on a brisk 27 degree morning and was greeted by Shelby. We toured his store and shop facilities, looked at the awesome cars sitting on the showroom floor (mine included) and just talked about GTs both old and new. Shelby spent the entire morning with me and was very generous with his time and patience (you know how irritating tourists can be😎). Needless to say, it was well worth the time and the drive. Shelby is one of the nicest and most sincere people that I have ever met. I knew he was a good business person from our dealings but getting to know him better, spending time with him and seeing his facilities made me realize that he has built something very special. He knows the GT inside and out. All of the cars were in superb condition and maintained wonderfully (every GT was connected to a battery charger, when is the last time you saw that level of attention to details) while they await a new owner or are being stored until the new owner picks them up. His repair shop was extremely clean and organized, you could have eaten off the floor. I came away confident that I can trust him to take good care of my car and good care of me as a customer. For those of you that are thinking about buying a GT, feel confident that you are in good hands and that you can trust that the car will be exactly as described. I left thinking that I should have made the trip a long time ago, then again better now than never. Thanks again Shelby for being such a great host👍👍👍

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think everyone here knows this, but it's always nice for a recap.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I was there last month & Shelby was a gracious host. I've never seen so many nice cars in one place.

Ed

PS Hey, I just realized this is my 5000th post.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 208

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
better stop now Ed... you are taking available posts from the rest of us

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Thank you Barry. It is always nice to put a face with a name. We have easily been dealing for 8 years or more. 5 or 6 Ford GTs traded back and forth. It's always been a pleasure! I am grateful for the kind words. Here is to many more my friend....

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
While I haven't had the chance to visit Shelby's shop, my car has on many occasions for some TLC. Always good stuff.