Fiberglass rear bumper

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
Is there anyone who currently offers a fiberglass replacement for the factory rear bumper on a '05-'06 GT?

Ron

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Most of us have removed the bumper using either CDC or the GT Guys kits.

Curious why you might be looking for one?

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
I'm currently building two Superlite GT-Rs ( http://www.superlitecars.com/gtr/) and I like the look of the rear bumper.

Ron

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Interesting, didn't that know about these cars.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That would explain it. 5.2l coyote motors?

I'm currently building two Superlite GT-Rs ( http://www.superlitecars.com/gtr/) and I like the look of the rear bumper

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
5.0L Coyote/ Graziano 6spd transaxle
under 2500# ,14" brakes super stiff chassis with Billet suspension. Should be enough. LOL

Ron

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I was waiting on this RCR kit some years back and finally decided to spring for the real deal. I would still consider this a great option for a weekend track car. Fran at RCR builds quality kits with lots of support from Fran and other owners. The web site they use is www.gt40s.com and look for RCR Forum tab. Ron, try X2builders.com or northwoodGT on ebay for take-off bumpers.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The bumper on the GT is there because of the safety engineers. It is a crash component integral with boxed aluminum crush rails.

Fiberglass wouldn't make sense, because it wouldn't provide any crash protection.

The OEM bumper alone wouldn't do much on a kit car (except maybe for 0.5 mph parking lot bumps) without the crush rails. And I don't see how the kit would accommodate them.

Are you looking for a functional bumper or an appearance item? I don't know anybody who thinks the OEM bumper is an appearance enhancer. :ack :lol :facepalm:

That said, you can have mine cheap. Shipping would likely be the biggest expense.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
The bumper on the GT is there because of the safety engineers. It is a crash component integral with boxed aluminum crush rails.

Fiberglass wouldn't make sense, because it wouldn't provide any crash protection.

Let's agree to disagree. :wink IMO the rear bumper is there because of bureaucracy (see NHTSA Q&A).

Now that's a retro discussion.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/20326-Sure-they-got-alot-right-but/page6

The bumper is there to meet regulations to reduce the cost of repair for parking lot dings. The frame rails and the bumper are not crash protection. I feel that I could bend the bumper over my knee.

It may be true that damage to the surrounding parts of the car may be reduced simply due to interference in a low speed event, but the occupant would not experience a difference in a serious impact. Tissue paper, energy is proportional to the square of the velocity. Many cars have been made ugly by US reg bumpers. The Countach is a great example (see the linked post).

The GT cabin is a fortress, the bumpers satisfy regulation.

frame_1.jpg

Reactions: Ed Sims

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Let's agree to disagree. :wink IMO the rear bumper is there because of bureaucracy (see NHTSA Q&A).

Now that's a retro discussion.
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/20326-Sure-they-got-alot-right-but/page6

The bumper is there to meet regulations to reduce the cost of repair for parking lot dings. The frame rails and the bumper are not crash protection. I feel that I could bend the bumper over my knee.

It may be true that damage to the surrounding parts of the car may be reduced simply due to interference in a low speed event, but the occupant would not experience a difference in a serious impact. Tissue paper, energy is proportional to the square of the velocity. Many cars have been made ugly by US reg bumpers. The Countach is a great example (see the linked post).

The GT cabin is a fortress, the bumpers satisfy regulation.

View attachment 43887

its like looking at nude pics

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
That said, you can have mine cheap. Shipping would likely be the biggest expense.

PM sent.

Ron

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
On second thought, and after unsolicited advice (at least it was free) from my lawyer friend, I think I'll keep this stuff for my heirs to deal with.

I stopped adding the cost of all the rear bumper assembly parts when I got to over $6k (not including the two bumper reinforcements, aka crush rails or frame horns at $1,750 each). Probably around $8k with all the cover pieces for the part we call "the bumper." :ack

The "bumper impact bar" (the inner part that FENZO can bend over his knee :lol ) alone is $4,508.

I'd feel like an idiot selling it for what I think it's worth ($200) and I'd be too embarrassed to ask even a quarter of new price. :frown

bumper.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Very cool .
But can you vintage race it or club race it.Is there a class for it

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
You can absolutely club race it. There is an optional race legal cage as well as a race legal fuel cell option. The car would fit perfectly in NASA Super Unlimited as well as several other race and time trial classes. The chassis/suspension design has been VERY well tested and proven to be an extremely competitive.
If you do a search for Superlite SLC ,you will see what Fran's cars are capable of.

Ron

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Most of us have removed the bumper using either CDC or the GT Guys kits.

Curious why you might be looking for one?

I still have my bumper, never got around to replacing it!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
It certainly would not.

I think a twin turbo version in our cars would be pretty cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
I know it's been a while but this engine is exactly what I ended up installing into my car.
It ended up making 524 RWHP . I installed a Dailey Dry sump system and some oiling mods
from the FP350S/GT4 program. With some help from H Smith ( Robertson Racing Ford GT Program) , I was able to
make the car extremely fast and predictable. It looks incredible as well!
I would add some pics but I'm too stupid to figure out how. LOL
Ron

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
You can build an incredible race car but are "too stupid to post pictures" ?

Those are mutually exclusive Pantera1889! ;)

Reactions: Pantera1889