FGT Knowledge Base

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
What do y'all think about building and maintaining this single thread full of facts / gotchas / warnings / instructions / sources etc ... a knowledge base ... that owners might not readily know about? Also see "New-to-you '05/6 Ford GT items to check" at bottom.

- Axle bolts aka Half shaft bolts - "Check the OASIS report for axle bolt TSB (it was not a recall)." - by @twobjshelbys 6/14/23 (link). "The OEM kit and the Accufab kit will both get the job done. Not sure we prefer one over the other - but the Accufab kit uses a different (6) outer bolts which makes it easy to see the upgrade has been done but for the pure fanatics, they do represent a difference from original. The OEM kits are still available." - by @nota4re 6/13/23 (link).

- Battery - "Forget the Ford battery, it's just a Group 25 Optima that you can swap or get at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's for half what Ford wants." - by @twobjshelbys 6/14/23 (link). "Battery ground cable in front trunk should be cleaned and tightened." - by @69b302 6/15/23 (link).

- Belts - Available from Rock Auto (link). "Oil pump belt, should be changed, if original." - by @69b302 6/15/23 (link)

- Brake fluid - "Ron, Never use DOT 5 brake fluid in the Ford GT as you suggested above. Only use DOT 3, 4 or 5.1. The DOT 5 is silicone fluid and will ruin your brakes. The other DOT formulas are synthetic. There is a huge difference between DOT 5 and DOT 5.1." - by @TO AWSUM 4/20/21 (link).

- Console tunnel - Consider telling your spouse to be careful when putting on her seat belt as wedding rings can scratch the side of the magnesium console. Or you could cover it with something like PPF.

- Control arm and link end seals - "Very typical for the rear lower control arm and link end seals to be split from age. The GT garage or GT101 can supply replacement seals, which are not available from Ford, separate from the component." - by @69b302 6/15/23 (link).

- Fuel filler - When fueling up be gentle when inserting the fuel nozzle into the filler port:
  • "The plastic fuel filler flap and dinky spring is so fragile many folks have broken them off. Myself included. Much care is needed when filling the tank not to hit the spring side of the flap with the fuel nozzle. You'll know when the flap fails, engine check light leading to emissions fault code." - by @bret a ewing (link).
  • "Easy on the gas pump nozzle as you insert it in the fill hole, the plastic “flapper” is finicky and prone to cause issues." - by @junior (link).
  • "I always just put the nozzle in straight and didn't let the hose put too much pressure/tension on the handle so it doesn't try to move the nozzle inside the tube." - by @twobjshelbys (link).
- Hoses - Power steering hoses, the lower return hose, are starting to disintegrate to where they are weeping and black comes off when touched. The hose is no longer available from Ford, so Rich Brooks aka @thegtguy and Rich Roback aka @GT Tech went in together to have a batch of new ones made. Click the name to contact them.

- Jacking - Bottom of GT whole-side-of-car jack points and jack stand placement locations from (link).
Bottom of FGT lift jack pointsb.jpg

- Paint chip - Don't open the driver's door when the frunk lever is open / out as the lever and front upper corner of the door can contact each other and the door's paint can be chipped right on that corner. Same on the other side: Passenger side door can contact the fuel filler lever and chip that door's corner. I believe this is an example of the chip:
2006_ford_gt-heritage-edition_072_web-scaled.jpg

- Roundels - This link (https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/roundels.9754/post-114771) states the '06 Heritage roundel and number sizes are:
  • Door: 20" diameter roundel / 16" number height
  • Clamshell: 19" diameter roundel / 13" number height
  • Front: 16" diameter roundel / 11" number height
- Suspension, lowering - The front can be lowered ~1" via perches. Here's what that looks like on my '05:
img_0861b-jpg.66648

img_0850a2-jpg.66623

- Tires - Warning!! "If you don't have experience with no-nanny high performance cars read alot about the handling here. They have a tendency to break the rear wheels loose with the slightest provocation with dangerous consequences. Bridgestones help alot as they are stickier in cold tires/cold pavement but still can let loose when you least expect them. Accelerate only in a straight line, and be careful about sudden power (like trouncing on the accelerator to pass, and most especially with the downshift/accelerate/upshift to pass.)" - by @twobjshelbys 6/14/23 (link). "This is the big one, cold tires have been the leading culprit of most GT crashes. Drive it like it’s on ice skates until warm and even then only apply power with the car pointing straight. 2nd gear is the torquey gear and it will break loose and swap ends very quickly!" - by @Special K 6/15/23 (link).

That said ... Since the OEM Goodyears are no longer available, Bridgestones are the only choice and are actually recommended over the Goodyears anyway. Bridgestones are often available from Radial Tire (Bill) 301-585-2740 or 703-554-4803: "Hi Ron, happy Friday! I wanted to let you know that I have 12 Bridgestone GT tires and Bridgestone called me today to inform me that they have allocated their entire North American stock to us which is awesome. I have 90 rears and 90 fronts coming to me me. Now I am biting my nails hoping for calls." - by @roketman (link) 5/6/22. Correct Bridgestone sizes for the 2005/6 Ford GT are:​
  • Front: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza (Porsche N1) 265/40R18
  • Rear: Bridgestone RE050A Potenza Scuderia 345/35R19
- Wheels - Ford OEM wheel part numbers are:
  • Base wheels, BBS Cast (6 chunky spokes):
    • Front: 4G7Z-1007-CA (18" dia. x 9" wide) ... Need to confirm part # and width
    • Rear: 4G7Z-1007-DA (19" dia. x 11.5" wide) ... Need to confirm part # and width
  • Upgrade wheels, BBS Forged (10 narrower spokes):
    • Front: 4G7V-1007-AA (18" dia. x 9" wide) ... Need to confirm part # and width
    • Rear: 4G7Z-1007-BA (19" dia. x 11.5" wide) ... Need to confirm part # and width
- Window sticker - Original 05/6 Ford GT window stickers may still be available from Ford Show Parts https://fordshowparts.com/collections/vehicles/products/m-0222-mer As of 7/3/23: "Ford GT Certificate Package $125.00 Description: This special 2005-2006 Ford GT supercar owner package includes SVT Certificate of Authenticity, Ford GT keychain, original window sticker*, order guide, a VIN decoder, and full production chart. * Some window stickers may not be available. If you would like to know if your window sticker is available please email fordsp1@ford.com with your VIN and we can gladly check before you place your order."

New-to-you '05/6 Ford GT items to check:

- Airbags - The 05/6 Ford GT was/is subject to the common Takata airbag recall. "Check the OASIS report for axle bolt TSB (it was not a recall). Of course get the air bags done if they haven't (and there's a good chance they aren't). Ford will come to you to do them and there are some trusted third party installers. The steering wheel is easy but the passenger side requires careful disassembly of the lower portion of the passenger side dash panel that has a thin segment across the center console best handled by two people." - by @twobjshelbys 6/14/23 (link).
- Axle bolts aka Half shaft bolts - See above.
- Battery Grounds - See above.
- Fuel filler - See above.
- Paint chip on doors - See above.
- Tires - See above.
- Transmission operation when cold - "Until the transmission warms up, you will notice a slight grinding when upshifting to 2nd gear. Either shift 1-3 or 1-3-2 for the first few minutes." - by @Special K 6/15/23 (link)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
There's already a thread for this info. Ron "Roketman" started it years ago:

I suggest you add to that thread. Maybe Ron will change the title to reflect additional info?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What do you think the

I suggest you add to that thread. Maybe Ron will change the title to reflect additional info?
What do you think the title should be?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Ron, I posted that 4 months ago, and I confess that I forget what I was thinking about an updated title! How about "Frequently Asked Questions and Recomendations for New 05-06 GT Owners." And get Dave to make it a sticky.

Last edited:

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Ron's thread is mostly related to mods, which is awesome, whereas the idea for this thread is more related to operating and maintaining a GT, whether modified or stock, where to find replacement parts, things to watch out for. Now, I admit I'm still new and so the list above is still short ... well, hey, maybe those are the only things to watch out for and be aware of on our reliable GTs 🍻