dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Be careful! :frown

News Story

Definitely looks like a stupid place for a trailer.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Horrible...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I THINK my lunch will stay down ...maybe ...I hope. Man. That'll lighten up one's right foot for a while.:frown

'Don't understand all the T.V./neighbor comments about the trailer though. It's as thought it was left in the middle of the road or something. It's well OFF the road... doesn't appear any more of a hazard than a telephone pole, or a retaining wall, or any number of OTHER things one sees every 10 feet along any road anywhere. To HIT IT, one has to be well off the roadway.:shrug

Why did you say what you said, Dave? What did I miss? (And I usually DO.:bang )

Last edited:

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Thats Brutal.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
When they show the trailer from the front it looks pretty close to the road, maybe 5 feet or less. Who knows how far the Viper knocked it back. It's just never a good idea to have large stationary objects that aren't permanent on the road. When people aren't expecting something, if they are distracted (which they frequently are) they might hit it. Witness all the cop cars that get blasted yearly while making traffic stops...

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Wrong place to put a trailer. At 50 mph any car would be torn apart.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
When they show the trailer from the front it looks pretty close to the road, maybe 5 feet or less. Who knows how far the Viper knocked it back. It's just never a good idea to have large stationary objects that aren't permanent on the road. When people aren't expecting something, if they are distracted (which they frequently are) they might hit it. Witness all the cop cars that get blasted yearly while making traffic stops...

Cops are pretty much ALWAYS closer to traffic than this trailer appears to be though, Dave ...they can barely get off the road at all many times. Besides, in this particular case, it LOOKS like the Viper was traveling in the "opposite" direction of the trailer (so to speak), on the opposite side of the road, and crossed over and hit the trailer. Otherwise, the Viper couldn't possibly be resting AHEAD of the trailer's rear axles.

Anyway, in this case, if you view the AIR shot again, it pretty clearly shows the trailer is 8 or 10 feet off the pavement.
The front shot to which you refer ALSO shows a curve in the road ahead of the trailer which creates the optical illusion from THAT camera angle that the trailer's closer to the road. (Take a look at the air shot again if you wanna spend the time.)

The Viper pbly didn't budge the trailer much if at all judging from the fact the trailer's still parallel to the road.

In any event, it's the responsibility of the driver of a moving vehicle to aviod stationary ones ...especially one's parked off to the side of the road. Something off to the side of the road is just that - something off to the side of the road. The trailer shouldn't have been a pblm at all...especially for someone traveling on the opposite side of the roadway.

Sooooo, I guess we'll just hafta agree to disagree on this'un, Sir!:lol (Do you think we'll survive it?)

By the way, I don't see any "skid" marks. Are there any? (Maybe under the dirt that's now on the roadway???)

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
That's local news. I'll post tomorrow if any more in the paper.

If you stop the video, the trailer does appear to be a ways from the road. That area is also not the most heavily traveled and is fairly open (which is why it has a 50 mph limit). Very unfortunate, but I think it will come down to speed and loss of control or an equipment failure (which of course will be hard to prove). Trailer just happened to be there, but I don't think fault will be placed there unless a no parking zone or something like that.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If you stop the video, the trailer does appear to be a ways from the road. Trailer just happened to be there, but I don't think fault will be placed there unless a no parking zone or something like that.

'Agree 100%, AZ.

I didn't see any sign posts at all ...but then, I wasn't LOOKING for them either. And as ticket happy as they are down in your area (or anywhere else for that matter!), if that trailer were illegally parked - it SHOULD have been ticketed and towed long B4 2-3 wks had passed one would think. So, we could then add the local P.D. (or whomever) to the blame game list at that point too.

But, it APPEARS (from the limited look we're given) that the "blame" here is solidly & solely with the Viper's driver.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out this poor sucker fell asleep at the wheel.

If he were driving a ZO6, the bet COULD be made that the "race track" handling control computer thingie that those guys are hastling with right now might have been the pblm.

The whole thing is really too bad regardless...:frown

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
at that hour he was drunk, asleep, or not paying enough attention. Appears also he got off the road and slammed into the trailer parked off the opposite side !

Driver fault, I am sure. Could also be exaggerated speed, and he lost it..

sad anyhow. Reminder for all.. RIP

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
at that hour he was drunk, asleep, or not paying enough attention. Appears also he got off the road and slammed into the trailer parked off the opposite side !

Driver fault, I am sure. Could also be exaggerated speed, and he lost it..

sad anyhow. Reminder for all.. RIP

I'm going with the "asleep" scenario, '360, as there doesn't seem to be any skid marks.
'Don't see how we'll ever know regardless.