F150 availability

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Some of you may recall that earlier this year I was investigating the small diesel F150’s and planned to order one. I played around with the online configurator, got it optioned pretty much how I wanted, then started looking for a dealer to order it through. And then the shortages of chips and components hit. No one was willing to commit to a delivery date because they could not get it from Ford. So, I figured I’d wait and see.

I dropped back into one of the local dealers yesterday to inquire again, and the sales guy I talked to said that Ford would not be building any more diesels this year and would not offer the small diesel in 2022.

Does anyone here know if that’s true? If so, I may end up going to GM dealer for a small diesel pickup.

I also read in the WSJ today that Ford is considering going to a sales model where all cars are built to customer orders, rather than dealers buying stock and selling it off the lot. Interesting.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Pete, it is accurate that Ford has dropped the power stroke 3.0 from the F-150 line up starting 2022. They are however still making them and I just purchased a second one which was built on 8/5/21. My 2019 F-150 has the power stroke and I could not be happier with it. Although it’s pushing a 4x4 king ranch crew cab truck it still consistently punches our 28-29 mpg highway and about 24-25 mpg combined. It is quiet and although not as quick as 3.5 EcoBoost is still no slouch. We plan to use the second one as our RV tow vehicle as well as adventure truck for carrying the pups and Smoky mountain trips. Go on Ford.com vehicle search and you should see a batch of them that have just been produced.
While I still leave the heavy heavy pulls to our super duty, the F-150 could even pull the largest of the car trailers if needed. There are certainly other brands of trucks out there which are very very good but the F series is the long term top truck for a bunch of great reasons. Hope this helps. KO

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kpgarage, thanks for the info. I’ll check the Ford’s vehicle search and see what’s available.

Reactions: Kpgarage

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Well, the Ford.com site isn’t very user-friendly for searching inventory. It only allows you to search up to 100 miles from the zip code you put in, and after you put in that zip code, it won’t allow you to change it. You have to close out that web connection and start a new one with new parameters. Or erase the Ford.com cookies and start over.

Anyway, I finally got one that met most of my desires.

As we have discussed, Ford is discontinuing the small diesel in the F-150 in 2022, after just a 3-year run. So I think buyers might be holding back on buying remaining inventory, as this one was on the dealer’s lot for a month. But it also had a $5000 ADM (like most of that dealer’s trucks). I test drove it when I was up in Seattle two weeks ago, and I was still looking at the GM options. But I checked their inventory a couple days ago and they still had it. So I called the sales guy, told him I know they had it on the lot for a month, and that I noted the buying of the small diesel F150 seemed to have pulled back because I’ve seen several at other dealers that have been there for more than a couple weeks. And I said maybe that was because Ford announced they were not continuing to offer that engine in 2022. So I made them an offer and they accepted it.

I went up to Sea-Tac last night to get it and drove it home. On my return trip, I filled the tank in Tacoma, and refilled it at Kalama, 103 miles, and it only took 3.1 gallons! That’s better than 33MPG with the cruise control set at 70!!

I’ll have to measure over a longer distance to make sure that the result is valid and not due to measurement error from having the truck sitting at a different angle when filling at different stations, but even if it ends up being “only” 30MPG, that’s amazing for a full-size truck.

The truck is the Lariat model, but it has almost as many options as the Platinum model (and about the same price😕). So it has all the electronic complexity that I need to learn about. Fortunately, those are the same as my wife’s 2020 Lincoln, so she can coach me on how to use them. 😉

Attachments

• CE40FAD3-F8CB-4704-9A67-907691CC7DAB.jpeg
    CE40FAD3-F8CB-4704-9A67-907691CC7DAB.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Awesome looking truck. Great buy!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Congrats Pete!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^What they said.

Love the color. Is it Ruby Red Metallic?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have a 2018 f150 diesel and absolutely love it!
Perhaps I should order a new one if they are going to stop making them?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Ron: You won’t be able to “order” a new one now. You’ll have to find one in dealer inventory somewhere.

Or you’ll have to buy a GM truck or Tahoe/suburban variant. And to be honest, I looked at the Tahoe and Suburban during my search too, and they are excellent vehicles. The newest versions have an independent rear suspension, which enabled them to lower the cargo floor and create more space inside and more legroom for the rear seat passengers.

Mike, the color is listed as “Rapid Red Metallic,” but ruby red would also describe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Gents, I need some further advice on my new pickup. I want a bedliner, and I think the spray-in bedliner probably is the best way to go.

I expect that the quality of the job depends more on surface prep and the skill of the installer than the brand of the material, like painting. But I’ll take any suggestions as to the brands of bedliners and recommended installation companies.

Thanks in advance.

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Pete, I have used Line-X in my truck beds. They do a great job and offer a lifetime guarantee. They spray an even texture with a clear over the top keeping it looking as day one and not drying out and looking chalky. They pull all the mounting bolts which are male toques bit style and put them back after spraying is complete. I have seen other companies spray over everything and if you ever have to remove the mounting bolt it is a nightmare.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Line-X is great stuff. I now have two of the F-150 diesels. One KR 2019 and the new one lariat in smoked quartz(awesome color). Consistently great mpg in both. Ford should not have cancelled the F-150 diesel. Wish they’d try a powerboost variant with the diesel. That would be even more incredible.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Line X

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
That’s 3 recommendations for Line-X. I’ll look for a local Line-X dealer. Thanks.

And, KPG, yes, the diesel instead of the Ecoboost V6 in the hybrid system would be even more desirable. I can’t think of much better than the efficiency of a diesel with the extra boost from the electric hybrid drive and braking regeneration.

Add the 7.2 KW 120/240V Pro power option, and you have a self-contained power station for your RV or backup power for your house or shop. I’m thinking of ways to add a 120/240 generator head somewhere in the engine bay. But there’s not a lot of room, so I’ll have to noodle on it for awhile. My house has oil heat, so I also have a 250 gallon tank of heating oil/diesel behind my garage. Y’know, just in case….

Last edited: