F1 Austin

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
They are using the track, unlike the F1 track at Indy, where they have had only one race (Grand Am raced it in August). Both grand am and scca have dates in March.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I had more fun in abu dhabi 2 weekends ago at the GP there but this was pretty great.

ben

Baller.

Mar 15, 2006
We were in Austin for the F1 race and it was an incredible experience. I cannot wait to drive this track and would certainly throw down $1000 to be 1 of 50 guys. And I am going to guess that they are going to get deluged with club rental requests from all over the place now that the world has seen how great this facility is.

DBK, a good friend of mine is one of the owners / managers at COTA. After the dust settles, I can ask him about rates and availability. They have been completely focused on getting the track ready for F1 that they really have not gotten into the other details on revenue streams. But I am sure that they will get it sorted very soon.

COTA is the finest racing facility I have ever seen. And the track looks to be a very exciting challenge to drive!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think I'd be interested too. Heck, if I get the third day at Bondurant/Firebird it's 2K. It's a two day haul, but the terrain and weather would be great.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I read somewhere they have open dates next year for $50k a day.

We NEED to do this.

That price is for a maximum group size of 24 people.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

ouch

I would bet that rule could be bent with the right connections.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Damn!

Still, there are worse ways to spend $2k for a day.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I agree with Dave,

Better than "Making it Rain" haha

I would be up for it!

Larry Boatner

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
I was there all three days - most time spent around Turn 19. Spectated from several vantage points all of them good. A friend had Hamilton on his RV! Wonderful track, wonderful event with a great Texas vibe to it. A buddy hooked us up with parking right at the font gate! Traffic was a breeze. Organizers need to get the Food & Beverage issues sorted out. Over priced and underserved. Ran out of beer Sunday and long lines at most purveyors. COTA Merch booth was a shambles, again with very long lines. Will I be back? Hell Yeah!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
This is my dilemma. I would love to drive on this track but I think I would have a much better time taking pictures of all of the rest of you guys. So if you do it, and want a photographer, I'm in.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
MVP working on track days there for March.

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
For all the bike guys on this Forum, MotoGP will be in Austin next April. I think the MotoGP guys are going to LOVE this track. It has all the right elements.
See: http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/COTA+race+date+anouncement+for+2013
With the new rider line up's, this should be a great event. Get your MotoGP on...
I'll be there... with a bunch of friends.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Ive already got guaranteed seats we got season tickets see u there!

For all the bike guys on this Forum, MotoGP will be in Austin next April. I think the MotoGP guys are going to LOVE this track. It has all the right elements.
See: http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/COTA+race+date+anouncement+for+2013
With the new rider line up's, this should be a great event. Get your MotoGP on...
I'll be there... with a bunch of friends.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
I was there also for race day with the family had a great time. We sat on the grass and got jiggers though. Got to love Texas!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I was there also for race day with the family had a great time. We sat on the grass and got jiggers though. Got to love Texas!

We call them chiggers in Texas. :)

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Best race experience to date for me

Hi everyone,

I was Austin from Wed-Sun and had a blast....was suppose to get a ride in one of their 3 seat F1 cars (which was at another track called Driveway Austin, some sort of club track), but one of the two cars caught on fire, the other broke before my turn came...was really disappointing as the cars are 2002/3 all original F1 cars with V10's with two outboard seats behind the driver....I've don't the 2 seat Indy cars several times and it was a blast. Sat and Sunday me and my buddy were guest of the Marussia team, long story but another friend who was there is buds with the guys behind the Marussia super cars and they are the main sponsor of an upstart F1 team by the same name....if you can't score paddock club and garage access at an F1 race from your friends then...... :)

Anyway, best of it was getting into Marussia's and Mercedes garages before the race. Spent 45 min in the Mercedes garage checking out Schumacher and Rosebergs car....Nico's chief race strategist spent nearly the entire time we were there going over all the tech in the F1 cars...truly off the charts. Then with 5 laps to go we went into the Marussia garage so that we could go out onto pit row for the winners circle ceremony as soon as the race ended. First F1 race for me and had heard they were more closed off as to car/paddock/driver/garage access than any race series in the world, but got very lucky with help of a friend.

A few pics from a great experience!...enjoy....Tiny

Attachments

• IMG_4986.jpg
    IMG_4986.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7029.jpg
    IMG_7029.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7044.jpg
    IMG_7044.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7047.jpg
    IMG_7047.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 70

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
more pics

more from sunday

Attachments

• IMG_7114.jpg
    IMG_7114.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6939.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 70

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, Pretty amazing equipment and pictures.

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Went with my two sons for the three day event. Sat in turn 5 sec on top row and had fairly good view around many parts of the track.

Great race and great time with my boys!