Engine Vents next to Heated rear glass

Whippleboy

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2013
London UK
Can anyone please tell me the part number or names of the two plastic cover shields that flank the left and right of the rear heated glass. These sit next to the wire mesh vents above the engine. They have a matt painted finish and unfortunately i stuck some tape over the vents to stop water getting onto the engine when washing the car and the tape puled off some of the matt paint. id didn't relies they were painted as they just look like matt plastic. I can't see how to remove them either to get them repainted. I took the screws out from underneath the rear hood but they wouldn't lift off. can anyone help ?

thanks

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I too need that part number as one of mine is cracked.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm sure someone will get you the part number, but, in case you are not aware, there is also a billet aluminum option for all the clamshell vents. PM pe2unia if interested. Or, Torrie... tmcphail....can probably fix you up with the OEM parts.

Last edited:

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have seen no billet option for the glass side vents. Only the lower vents.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sorry, my mistake. Still, Torrie is the man for parts.

Whippleboy

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2013
London UK
yes thats what I keep coming up with, the billet lower vents but not side vents. I can't even find the OEM on the Ford parts website, which seems to have every part other than those ! Have either of you worked out how to remove them, as then i could just get them resprayed. i removed the cross head screw on the underside of the clam shell but the vents didn't want to come off, and you know what its like trying to force them you'd end up breaking one just when you don't know how to get a replacement !

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Are these the parts you are referring to, Item 2 on this diagram? This is my 2005 manual.

As I recall they came off by removing the Phillips screws underneath them, about 4 of them are accessible directly. Then there are a couple more behind the vertical black metal vent that needs to be removed, these last screws would release the rear end of the vents.

Mine were not painted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fast Freddy

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
try 5G7Z-17232-AAD (RH AND LH)
and/or 5G7Z-6B670-AA (RH), 5G7Z-6B670-BA (LH) this is probably what you are looking for

Whippleboy

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2013
London UK
Hi KJRGT yes those are the pieces, fantastic thanks so much. by the way they don't look painted I agree, I would have sworn they were just plain moulded matt plastic, until the sticky tape took the surface of them and the thin layer of paint or some sort of laminated surface treatment was on the tape and stripped gaps left on the vents !

I will have to get the workshop manual you have, do you know where I can get one shipped to the UK ?

thanks again , brilliant help

Whippleboy

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2013
London UK
thanks you guys you're a great help

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Glad to be of assistance.
Looks like viva gt provided more specific parts numbers.
For the Service Manual, here are some choices on eBay at the moment...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ual&_nkw=2005+ford+gt+Service+manual&_sacat=0

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you get a service manual get the '06 version. THe '05 version had some errors that were corrected and applies to both model years.

I think he could really use a parts book (paper or DVD) in addition to the service manual, but I haven't seen one of those on ebay.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
It looks like there are in fact billet side vents available. http://www.fordgtbilletparts.com/billetSideVents.html

Good luck!

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It looks like there are in fact billet side vents available. http://www.fordgtbilletparts.com/billetSideVents.html

Good luck!

Same mistake I made. Those are not the window vents. That is pe2unia's website.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
'06 Manual and Electric Diagram offered in Thread under "Marketplace", this Forum.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Same mistake I made. Those are not the window vents. That is pe2unia's website.
Oh, thosevents. I see now. Technocraft can make a snazzy looking carbon fiber replacement. http://www.tecnocraft.com/Tecnocraft-Ford-GT-3-Piece-Window-Garnish-Set-P35.aspx

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I have the Technocraft carbon fiber rear window surround.
It's quite nice!
Mark

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Mine was cracked under the paint. Looked as though it had cracked, been painted over and installed. These pieces are definitely painted to gain the texture.