Engine bay lighting kit...done!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks to jcthorne for his support. :cheers I'm always amazed when I wire something and it works. Thanks to the others who responded to my earlier thread on locating a power source. There are many ways to get to power other than the way I went.

5D3_3858.jpg

5D3_3860.jpg

5D3_3862.jpg

5D3_3863.jpg

Last edited:

Exoticare

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2006
Great White North
Nice Job!! Great pics

Andrew

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Looks nuclear!! :biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ yeah...I'm gonna have to get outside at night and decide if it's too nuclear. It's easy to tone it down. Just snip some LEDs off of the strips.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Nice Job!! Great pics

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. You know from my questions that I am not an electrician. haha! But, it's an easy installation if you sit down and think through how best to route the wiring. The only awkward part was tapping into the constant 12v power source, which of course is in a tough to reach location.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
As nice as Stormcat's setup. Well done.

Ed

hydouken

GT Owner
May 16, 2011
Thanks Andrew. You know from my questions that I am not an electrician. haha! But, it's an easy installation if you sit down and think through how best to route the wiring. The only awkward part was tapping into the constant 12v power source, which of course is in a tough to reach location.
The lighting kit looks great!!!
If possible could you take a picture of where the LED's (turned off) are mounted. And where are you tapping for the 12v power source.
This would be nice to know before buying the kit.
Thanks

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The LED strips are adhesive backed. Sorry they're not turned off. This is the only pic I took.

5D3_3864.jpg

I ran the LED strip wires under the weather strip along the back of the roof, then through a loom. You can see the wireless control switch box zip tied to the frame next to the PCM. The blue wire coiled on the box is the antenna. You can see where I attached the ground wire on the clamshell guide. I also put a 3a fuse in line. You can see that next to the blue wire. The power wire goes through a loom down behind the PCM to the power source I used on the lower frame rail. I had to solder longer wires here and there.

5D3_3865.jpg

The always-on 12v source I used is shown in this thread. http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...LEDs...constant-12V-source&highlight=constant

Last edited:

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Went with the RED and love it. Makes it easy to find car at night, LOL. Just go to the crowd around the RED glow.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ haha! Yeah, it will be fun to click them on when people are staring through the clam window. I should wire in a Geiger counter gauge so the needle swings to max and it clicks when the lights come on. Then I can apologize to people for pulling the control rods out of the reactor core too fast. Go take a shower real fast and I'm sure you'll be ok!

My 4 year old neighbor keeps asking me when am I going to transform the car into a batmobile. He was impressed with this as a start. He torture tested the remote for about 10 minutes too. :lol

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Nicely done. Looks like the real deal, cherenkov radiation!

For the techno nerds:
https://www.google.com/search?q=che...K8a50AGa7IDABw&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1000

Jay

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ great link! Yours looks full nuclear. Did you keep all the LEDs?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
^^^ great link! Yours looks full nuclear. Did you keep all the LEDs?

actually Jay came up with a different approach back in early 2006 - high output Luxeon for the light, then there was the super magnet drain plugs, access hatch gasket, jack pads, exhaust etc. that he offered to the community.
Thanks again Jay and glad to see you posting.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?2467-Engine-light!-Finally-ready-for-shipment!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My 4 year old neighbor keeps asking me when am I going to transform the car into a batmobile. He was impressed with this as a start. He torture tested the remote for about 10 minutes too. :lol

That's a great neighbor you have there. Glad you are keeping his dreams alive and inspired. (Can't wait to see the batmobile transformation too! haha)