Electric Heater (s) for garage

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
Anyone using electric heaters for the garage. Got a 1600 square foot garage and I want to run electric heat. I've seen gas heaters hang from cieling. Any ideas. Gas line is too far from detached garage.

Thanks

Mike

H

HHGT

Anyone using electric heaters for the garage. Got a 1600 square foot garage and I want to run electric heat. I've seen gas heaters hang from cieling. Any ideas. Gas line is too far from detached garage.

Thanks

Mike

I would recommend the 1500W Oil-filled radiator type heaters with thermostats. Very efficient and inexpensive. For a 1600 sq. ft garage I will bet you will only need 2. Make sure they are not on the same circuit breaker unless it is 40Amp. You can get them at Home Depot/Lowes with all the bells and whistles for approx $100 each. The heat will not dry you up and is extremely comfortable and safe, especially in a garage.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If you are looking for heat to turn on when working in the garage once in a while there are ceiling hung 240vac electric heaters that will do what you wish:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316377_200316377

But if you want to maintain temp in the garage through the winter, I would seriously suggest looking to install a minisplit heat pump. Will save a considerable amount on your electric bill (using about 1/3 the power) and give you AC in the summer as well.

http://www.acdirect.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2853

There are other options too depending on what you wish to accomplish. The two links are just examples, not specific recomendations.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
Do you want to use forced air or IR? I use forced air in one of my shop locations, however, that space is only about 1000 square feet. Mounted the unit on the wall and using electronic filters. Did not bother with ducting either and made a plenum to an elbow where, if I need to, can direct the heated air to a specific location. Still, it is more than adequate to heat the entire space. Purchased the unit used from a HVAC contractor for $10. Installed a new motor, $90, instant heat.
The electric furnace is located between the hot water tank and the gas furnace. Heat pump would be your best bet.
2610tua.jpg

H

HHGT

Do you want to use forced air or IR? I use forced air in one of my shop locations, however, that space is only about 1000 square feet. Mounted the unit on the wall and using electronic filters. Did not bother with ducting either and made a plenum to an elbow where, if I need to, can direct the heated air to a specific location. Still, it is more than adequate to heat the entire space. Purchased the unit used from a HVAC contractor for $10. Installed a new motor, $90, instant heat.
The electric furnace is located between the hot water tank and the gas furnace. Heat pump would be your best bet.
2610tua.jpg

Is that a 67 Vette?

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
No, 63 SWC. Saddle/Saddle. 340Hp.

H

HHGT

No, 63 SWC. Saddle/Saddle. 340Hp.

I have a 63 SWC Black/Black 300 PW/PB/PG

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'm about halfway through with my garage "project". My garage is small (20x20) and I'm having 2 radiant heating panels installed with a thermostat. This will be more than adequate for my needs.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I am storing my RV, GT,Bronco,and Shelby in there. I want to keep it at 50 degree when I am not in there and turn it up when I'm in there. Mainly to keep RV from freezing and others somewhat warm. Should of explained that better the first time.

Thanks for any suggestions

Mike

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I have a 63 SWC Black/Black 300 PW/PB/PG

.....................and it's CLEAN! I have pics.:lol

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
ToolTopia ( www.tooltopia.com ) is currently running a sale.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Is that a 67 Vette?

JEEZ Sam... you don't know your backside from a hole in the ground.......

H

HHGT

JEEZ Sam... you don't know your backside from a hole in the ground.......

I did not want to insult the guy and call it a 65 :biggrin. Are you done with yours? Besides, are you going to tell DanielJ how you use Jack Daniel to stay warm in the winter?

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
JD is a fine substitute for electric heat.... I am known to use Jack's cousin, Jim, on more than several occasions with or without heat and I never use it unless I'm alone or with someone. As for the Vette, call it anything, save for a 64.... Have either of you guys sourced a place to fix up your wheel covers for the mid-year Vettes you own? :) DJ.

H

HHGT

JD is a fine substitute for electric heat.... I am known to use Jack's cousin, Jim, on more than several occasions with or without heat and I never use it unless I'm alone or with someone. As for the Vette, call it anything, save for a 64.... Have either of you guys sourced a place to fix up your wheel covers for the mid-year Vettes you own? :) DJ.

Oh my agony... I'm doing them my self and hating every minute. In the interim I have some WW Knockoffs I am also restoring for normal driving, cars & coffee etc.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
To do it right you need both. The mini heat pump unit to maintain 50 or so. But you need the electric hanging unit to bring it up to 70 or so fast to work in there comfortably.

I have propane forced air unit and leave it on 50 or so. It's cheap but you need about 1/2hour to get it warm in there for work. I would love to have one of those hanging electric units those things will warm it up instantly.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I went with a heat pump (1.5 tons). It's a Fujitsu RLX unit - indoor unit being a cassette that flush mounts in the ceiling with an outdoor unit that's good down to -17c. I have a secondary heat source as well - gas blower, but if you're not seeing temps as cold as -17c, a single stage heat pump will be just fine. It's not cheap, but costs peanuts to run. It also give me A/C in summer, so I have it set for around 15c in winter and 20c in summer. You can't hear it and it just does what it's supposed to. My garage is 800 sq ft.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
+1 on the heat pump. Not expensive to run in winter, although I am in the south, and the A/C keeps everthing nice in the summer. 2 ton heat pump in 900 sq ft garage