Driving without front spoiler?

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
Anyone have any experience driving the GT without the front spoiler? I'd like to know if it makes any appreciable difference under 150 mph. I'm thinking of taking it off. Think this is a good idea?
Tom

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
scylla6 said:
Anyone have any experience driving the GT without the front spoiler? I'd like to know if it makes any appreciable difference under 150 mph. I'm thinking of taking it off. Think this is a good idea?
Tom
Why?

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
Well, living on a farm on a bumpy dirt road the spoiler does take a few hits. I'd rather just take it off than worry about it.
Tom

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I think that exposes an oil cooler to direct hits

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
We went 160 without the rear spoiler.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
scylla6 said:
Well, living on a farm on a bumpy dirt road the spoiler does take a few hits. I'd rather just take it off than worry about it.
Tom
Tom,
I too live out in the country. My road is about a 1/2 mile of caliche [crushed limestone]. It too has bumps/ruts/washouts etc.
I just take the tractor out after a good rain that washes it out occasionally and grade it back to somewhat smooth/level and drive slowly in and out.
The up side is that usually the trans-axel is warmed up enough by the time I hit the hard road that the 1st to 2nd shift is now smooth as silk.
As for removing the front spoiler, I doubt that removing it would have much effect on the handling of the car at "normal" public road speeds.
Personally don't like the idea. I would rather deal with my road issues.
Just my opinion.
Good Luck

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When we did the Saleen tour at the rally, the front spoiler also covers several smaller heat exchangers just below the radiator. If you take it off, all of this will be exposed. These things are all aluminum and looked to me to be easily damaged. I know 427 Aggie asked some very direct questions about these, but my attention was elsewhere. Have you looked at just how long that spoiler is? It covers quite a lot. Leave it on. Also keeps your trunk and battery dry.

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
scylla6 said:
Tom
My frontspoiler flew away at about 200mph because the
german licence-plate was not correct installed.
The part had to be ordered and I drove the following weeks
daily 180 -190 mph without handlingproblems.

Attachments

• CIMG4931a.JPG
    CIMG4931a.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 242

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The small radiator you see in 1 of 19's photo is the cooler for the power steering. It is attached to the SC intercooler or the main radiator by 2 brackets. You also have the AC condenser up there. Lots of exposed stuff if you take off the front air spoiler.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
One of 19 (GER) said:
I drove the following weeks

you are my idol!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
One of 19 (GER) said:
My frontspoiler flew away at about 200mph because the
german licence-plate was not correct installed.

Another reason not to put a plate in the front, but rather just an adhesive copy of it. Many here in Italy have the Ferraris like that (But I drive my performance cars without front plates or stickers).

I'd never take the frontspoiler off or fumble with aerodynamics... You only know if you have a problem when it is too late.

PS:
The best country in Europe to drive hard is Croatia, not Germany. Perfect new highways, great settings, and people actually move over when you come up (rarely the case in Germany these days), and last Weekend we blasted with 14 Ferraris through the whole country, from Zagreb to Rijeka, up to Ljubljana (Slovenia), driving open at 300km/h and when I closed the top hit 9000revvs in sixth gear, meaning 312km/h or 195mph in the Spider. nice, nice, nice ! :banana

The best part was to fly into the tunnels on flat out 295/300km/h open..Unforgettable, and of course we checked first that there was no one in there at 130km/h or so.. :eek

Our friend Boris from Zagreb had instructed the police to switch off any fixed radars along the route, and do the (eventual) radargun activity on the other driving direction... We saw not a single control, btw, and made Newspaper front page and had TV coverage too. They are totally car crazy, just like the Hungarians.

I decided next time I'll bring the GT ! Maybe 1 of 19 or Neilda will join in !?

stefan

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Croatia might be fun - I've never been there and it's actually closer than I first thought (just looked on a map).

It could be combined with my summer hols next year (I will drive down in the GT to Provence).

Are the girls pretty?! :biggrin

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
OK guys, seems like deleting the spoiler is not a great idea. Anyone have a beat up front spoiler they want to sell?
Tom
email; scylla66@yahoo.com

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Neilda said:
Croatia might be fun -

Are the girls pretty?! :biggrin
Yiip ! :biggrin ..pretty ... hot !! :willy

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Where should we meet?! :lol

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Scylla, send NSX a PM. He can get cheaper parts.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
One of 19 (GER) said:
My frontspoiler flew away at about 200mph I drove the following weeks

Damn, you guys just kill me. I've been on the Autobahn once (last year) north east of Strasbourg. What a great road system.
Any one care to know how fast a Ford mini-van will go driven flat out for 45min. filled with 5 people and their luggage? :lol

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Neilda said:
Where should we meet?! :lol
Trieste. From then on, pure joy big guy ! :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SLF360 said:
Another reason not to put a plate in the front, but rather just an adhesive copy of it. Many here in Italy have the Ferraris like that (But I drive my performance cars without front plates or stickers).

I'd never take the frontspoiler off or fumble with aerodynamics... You only know if you have a problem when it is too late.

PS:
The best country in Europe to drive hard is Croatia, not Germany. Perfect new highways, great settings, and people actually move over when you come up (rarely the case in Germany these days), and last Weekend we blasted with 14 Ferraris through the whole country, from Zagreb to Rijeka, up to Ljubljana (Slovenia), driving open at 300km/h and when I closed the top hit 9000revvs in sixth gear, meaning 312km/h or 195mph in the Spider. nice, nice, nice ! :banana

The best part was to fly into the tunnels on flat out 295/300km/h open..Unforgettable, and of course we checked first that there was no one in there at 130km/h or so.. :eek

Our friend Boris from Zagreb had instructed the police to switch off any fixed radars along the route, and do the (eventual) radargun activity on the other driving direction... We saw not a single control, btw, and made Newspaper front page and had TV coverage too. They are totally car crazy, just like the Hungarians.

stefan

I am jealous :wink

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
SLF360 said:

stefan
Next time inform me a few days in advance - I ll be there :wink