Driving in the rain

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
I think I'll try and avoid driving in the rain (unless I just get caught in it unexpectedly).

Mainly because I'm OCD and far to lazy (a dangerous combination) to clean the engine compartment afterwards. But after looking in the engine bay I noticed that it's pretty well sealed off and protected from underneath.

Have you guys been caught in the rain and how well does the engine compartment stay dry/clean?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Trip, my car seems to be a rain magnet. I've been caught numerous times. The engine compartment and front trunk stay plenty dry. You are right, it is well sealed by the carbon fiber. Your worry, in the rain, is opening the doors as your head will get wet from the rain on the top of the door as you swing it open. I bought seat covers to protect the leather from sweat and rain. The front trunk will fill up if you open it with rain on it, so you might wrap things in heat durable plastic, cause it does get hot in there.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have also driven my car in the rain on several occasions. It's sealed pretty good. Anytime I wash my car, I detail the engine, and there is hardly ever any water spots or anything.:biggrin

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Rain Rain go Away

The only unfortunate result for me has been quite a bit more time involved when washing. I was impressed with the overall performance of the car the first time out in a downpour. Once you head out for a trip and it's 500 miles or more one way, it's hard to avoid a bit of rain.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
The only unfortunate result for me has been quite a bit more time involved when washing. I was impressed with the overall performance of the car the first time out in a downpour. Once you head out for a trip and it's 500 miles or more one way, it's hard to avoid a bit of rain.

I agree about the rain, my main complant is some of the concrete roads just about run me out of the car with road noise, I see why they need the big stereo system