Doors in an accident

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
I was taking some pictures of a FGT for a photo class at school. It came to opening the door but the car was dead as its been sitting for a while. The owner then said "What the hell would I do if I got in an accident and the thing caught on fire and the battery got disconnected. So has any one else thought about this? If so what would you do?

Thanks,
Nate

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
The door opens from the inside even without power...but depending on where the car was situated in regards to guard rails, other cars, etc. it might be very difficult to get out. A fire extinguisher probably would be a good idea whether the car is tracked or not.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Also the fire extinguisher can be used to smash a window in case of emergency if door is blocked from being opened.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Also the fire extinguisher can be used to smash a window in case of emergency if door is blocked from being opened.

check out the extingusher and bracket designed by Ed Sims, I am on a waiting list for one. Dave, thanks for pointing out what a great escape tool the extingusher is.:thumbsup

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY

I had not thought of that but just one more reason to install one within reach of the driver. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had not thought of that but just one more reason to install one within reach of the driver. :thumbsup

It may work on the door windows, but good luck trying to get through the windshield. I smaller and better tool to open the windows is a spring loaded centerpunch you can buy for less than $10 at any hardward store. Just push it on the glass and when it strikes the window will shatter. It won't work on the windshield either. :thumbsup

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
A .45 would do the job just fine. :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
A .45 would do the job just fine. :lol

Yup, but in most counties in CA, including mine getting a CCW is impossible.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Gang bangers, carjackers, and other assorted crooks don't NEED one ...why do we? Oh. Ya. Right. We wanna stay outta jail. I forgot...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Gang bangers, carjackers, and other assorted crooks don't NEED one ...why do we? Oh. Ya. Right. We wanna stay outta jail. I forgot...

Because when they get arrest, they are release within a day pending trial with a free public defender, and they usually don't get any real jail time. If I get arrested they also release me, but I have to pay bail and hire my own attorney. Then I may get out of jail but have a felony rap on my record.

Life isn't fair and then there are taxes.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Because when they get arrest, they are release within a day pending trial with a free public defender, and they usually don't get any real jail time. If I get arrested they also release me, but I have to pay bail and hire my own attorney. Then I may get out of jail but have a felony rap on my record.

Move to Fres-Yes, Chief Dyer offered me one, I declined, told him that is why I pay him the big $$. Besides Tony has my back:thumbsup :banana :thumbsup

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just move to Texas boys, I'm very seldom without my .45...but I'll still use the extinguisher first. After blasting the window out you may have a hard time getiing anyone to come help you!:lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Just move to Texas boys, I'm very seldom without my .45...but I'll still use the extinguisher first. After blasting the window out you may have a hard time getiing anyone to come help you!:lol

Ok, I just lost 100lbs, but how in the hell do you squeeze through that little hole?:rofl :lol :rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ok, I just lost 100lbs, but how in the hell do you squeeze through that little hole?:rofl :lol :rofl

Determination. Lots & lots of determination ... which might (depending on circumstances) be provided in mass quantities by flames burning your butt!:biggrin

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Determination. Lots & lots of determination ... which might (depending on circumstances) be provided in mass quantities by flames burning your butt!:biggrin

:mad :lol

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Move to Fres-Yes, Chief Dyer offered me one, I declined, told him that is why I pay him the big $$. Besides Tony has my back:thumbsup :banana :thumbsup

Gotcha covered Bony. :biggrin

04mach1

Jan 2, 2007
Small town ohio
What if you were knocked out?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'Got into a little "debate"(?) with Bill O'Reilly on the Radio Factor here a while back on the 'permit issue. His stance is that permit's are fine in rural areas - but not in, say, NYC (because a mugger might get your gun). My position is/was that saying it's only okay to carry in a place like Kansas is like saying patriot missiles should only be placed in Monaco. Both need to be available where you think they'll be needed.

But, he had control of the microphones...:frown

'Makes no sense to me that law abiding folks can't carry guns in this place or that, but crooks can - AND DO - carry guns anywhere they want anytime they want. It's pretty clear which side of the argument the Constitution is on. But, since when has THAT little detail ever mattered?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Laws are written for the law abiding. Criminals who have little or nothing to lose do as they please.