Does Revell 1/24 scale model kit have huge flaw?

bushok

Nov 15, 2019
Hi,

Currently I am building the 1/24 scale model kit of the GT Le Mans 2017 car, released by Revell. It is supposed to bcome the Keating Motorsports #85 car that raced Le Mans in 2019.

I think the kit has a major fault in its engine bay, but I'm not sure. That is why I want to check with you guys here.

What is wrong in the engine bay in my opinion?:
Y-shaped airbox piece (part E 50, shown in box no. 25) is connected to the 2 radiators (shown in box no. 28)...

Please see Revell manual page 13, box no. 23 - 28 here:
Revell manual Ford GT Le Mans 2017

In my view, this Y shaped airbox (it takes the incoming air on top of the roof of the car) should be connected to the turbo's. In this Revell setup there is no air going to the turbo's!

Sadly I do not have any hard evidence in photos that my view is correct.

Is there someone on this forum that can help me out, hopefully with a photo?

Thank you!

Greetings,

Rob Bruijgoms

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Isn't View #25 showing the turbo inlet tube assembly? I'm not sure though.

Ed

bushok

Nov 15, 2019
Hi Ed,

One turbo is seen in view 23, parts F 53. Its hardly recognisable as it has an heavily abstract shape. It is only connected to the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe and waste gate pipe. There is no connection from air intake to the turbo at all. That’s what the Y shaped part should do imo.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
The Y piece in 25 is connected to the two turbo after coolers in 24. 23-24-25and 26 are all parts related to the inlet air system. couldent get them to magnify but that is the way I see it.

bushok

Nov 15, 2019
Unfortunately it is NOT connected to the turbos. Only to the intercoolers.
Please see here, I've magnified view 25:
1939db51cc0447a69e4400c2155db355.jpg

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
This is where your scratch building skills come in!

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Struggling with this, as to why this might be important?

Reactions: Austinj427

bushok

Nov 15, 2019
@Ed Sims True! Tough cookie though. And very odd that Ford has licensed a model kit that is so far off the truth

@Specracer If not important to you (which I can imagine), please do not watch this tread. Thanks

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to our forum.

I will obey your request.

@Specracer If not important to you (which I can imagine), please do not watch this tread. Thanks

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Welcome to our forum.

I will obey your request.
LOL!

Ed

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I just got the model. Where did you find the paints. I cant find Revell online and the Testor paints do not list the specific color or paint number.

bushok

Nov 15, 2019
In what colours do you want to spray them? Mine is going to be purple metallic (Keating), paint by Zero Paints. Probably Gravity Colours has the red, white and blue?