Does anyone have any experience with a GT Speed Lingerie bra?

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Hello fellow GT enthusiasts. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some advice and experience on bra’s for a Ford GT. I’m not a big fan of clear bras but want some protection for my GT on long drives. And, although I’m not too thrilled about putting a fabric bra on my GT, I realize this might be the best alternative for my dilemma.

Does anyone have or know of experience with fabric bra’s on a Ford GT? I am specifically looking at Speed Lingerie’s version. It looks decent, but I’m not to certain about its functionality or its ease of installation and removal. Any advice would be helpful. I'd be looking for the midnight blue color with white stripes.

ford-gt.html

H

HHGT

Hello fellow GT enthusiasts. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some advice and experience on bra’s for a Ford GT. I’m not a big fan of clear bras but want some protection for my GT on long drives. And, although I’m not too thrilled about putting a fabric bra on my GT, I realize this might be the best alternative for my dilemma.

Does anyone have or know of experience with fabric bra’s on a Ford GT? I am specifically looking at Speed Lingerie’s version. It looks decent, but I’m not to certain about its functionality or its ease of installation and removal. Any advice would be helpful. I'd be looking for the midnight blue color with white stripes.

ford-gt.html

You should join us on the Malibu Canyon Run this Saturday and get to meet a lot of us.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
You should join us on the Malibu Canyon Run this Saturday and get to meet a lot of us.

Thanks HHGT, I'd love to do the run and meet you guys (and gals?), but won't be able to make it work this weekend. Thanks for the invite. However, although I will probably get there a few hours late, I am planning to make the Toys for Tots in Woodland Hills on Dec 5th.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here are comments posted by 3 'Forum members regarding their Speed Lingerie experiences:

1- I've got one of the first Speed Lingerie bras and mirror covers. It has performed flawlessly. It did have to be shipped back twice for adjustments, and there is a difference between the 05 and 06 bras. I have been caught in numerous rain storms with no problems. I do keep about 10 coats of Zaino on the car though. Getting it off takes only a few minutes, but putting it on takes about 10-15. Color match to my RED car was excellent, but after 4 years, it has faded a little. I got the zipper-on license plate holder too. The mirror covers are worth their weight. Cost was a little over $1K.

2- I have the speed lingeree bra and have noticed two little problems. The high heat radiation at the top of the bra area seems to soften the paint a little and there are two seams that seem to be burrying themselves into the paint. I may slip a little piece of loose felt under them to see if it stops. The other problem is sand catches at the top edge and then works on the paint a little. I think I'm keeping the bra off until I run the car and just put it on then. It does a great job of deflecting the bugs and rocks but may not be good to keep on the car parked in the garage. It is easy to put on and remove.

3- ...I have had a couple of the Speed Lingerie cloth bra's as designed for these gals and they are very nice however they need to be removed on a regular basis so that fine grit does not become sandpaper in-between the bra and the paint or surface damage will result.

'Hope that helps...

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I have one and love it, the front end looks like new after 5 years. The only issue is that the ford logo doesn't quite line up with the bra's clear vinyl oval.

John

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I have one and love it, the front end looks like new after 5 years. The only issue is that the ford logo doesn't quite line up with the bra's clear vinyl oval.

John

Thank you John,
Is it pretty simple to install the first time around? Also, what color did you go with and how is the match? much appreciated. marc

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Marc, it wasn't the easiest bra to put on, since it fits so tight but nothing to worry about. My car is red, so went with the red bra with the stripes. The color isn't spot on, but most people have to take a second look to realize that it is wearing a bra.

Hope this helps

John

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've got 18K miles/ 4years on my SpeedLingerie bra and mirror covers. Has been fabulous. The front end of my car still looks new cause the bra has taken all the hits. It depends on if you have an '05 with the grill or not, cause they are different. Don't order without the mirror covers, they have been fantastic as well. Bad bugs here in the Midwest during the summer, and I never worry. I was one of the first to get one, and it did go back twice for adjustment, but I have been extremely pleased with it. Cleans up very nicely, no scratching (but I have multiple coats of Zaino), and has faded very little (Red/white stripes). Takes 15-20 minutes to install and 10 to take off. I also got the license plate fastener, but have never used it. It's been wet numerous times, no problems. On the way to Rally V, we got covered with some kind of road gook and it worked perfectly keeping it off the car and then cleaning up nicely. Great investment in my opinion. Seems like AwsumGT had his white/blue for sale (his was the original model).

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I've been debating between this or the clear bra option.

One of the things that I was surprised about the Speed Lingerie Bra was how well it seeemed to breathe.

When I checked out the one on Frank's car at Rally V it had just quit raining after 2 days straight. I expected it to be at least damp underneath at a minimum, but it was actually fairly dry.

I too am curious to hear feedback from others.

Jeff

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
GT Bra

My wife has a GT bra - the speed that thing goes on is unbelievable :banana:banana:banana

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I too have one .It is a extremely well made piece.
I only use mine in spring here in New England due to the sand on the road ways.
I also have every leading edge on my GTin clear bra.I find with the clear bra if you keep a safe distance from cars and trucks in front of you ,you will have no problem.
I must say I am very careful/ paranoid!
I was originally going to use it for track use,but what I found was the screens affected the cooling .I had them make one with large holes in it for cooling ,which seems to work a little better.But I really don't use it much.If you get one.Get it with out the clear piece for the Ford emblem.
Do a search on the forum ,Lots to read.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I've had mine for 4 yrs.... Went back once for adjustment and to get a tab shown back on. Easy on - easy off. The logo window doesn't quite line up and if I bought another one - I would ask that the window for logo be removed....

Get the mirror covers and I resonate with what Franks says.... Has saved the front end numerous times across, rocks, bugs, sand etc...

BTW - if you ever follow a FGT you will soon learn that they throw up all road dust... the SL bra has done it's job!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I've had the speed lingerie bras on my Porsche and Ferrari. I've used them for many years with no problem, except for the fact that the clips broke off the trunk-nose piece of the Porsche. Great fit and quality, but tight fit, so let it sit in the sun to soften it up before installing.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I put one on for driving then take it off. See Empty Pocket comment 2. I also slip a small felt piece under the two top seams. Great device. Keep it gooed up with some Armorall or Z2000 and it makes getting the bugs off easier. I had some bugs drilled into it at Sebring.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Thanks for all the great fedback. It sounds like everyone has been very pleased with the SL Bra with only minor drawbacks:

1. Top 2 seams could use extra padding: Add piece of felt to fix and make sure a good coat of Zaino is always down
2. Radiator Screens may limit cooling: Request larger holes on screening when ordering.
3. Ford Logo doesn't always line up: Request "no" clear piece of vinyl over logo

Question on last item- if the clear vinyl that covers the FORD logo is removed, will this invite more dust/sand to possible work its way under the bra?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
  1. Excellent protection.
  2. Great color match.
  3. Reasonably easy to R&R
  4. Logo window doesn't line up so order without.
  5. Order with fabric loops for all clips (easier removal)
  6. Wrinkles on lower left side detract from otherwise near perfect look.
  7. Tore on left side due to installing (stretching) during cold weather.
  8. Repaired by Speed Lingerie (you be the judge).
  9. Get the mirror covers as well.
  10. Above all else EXCELLENT PROTECTION of the entire front end.
DSC02912.JPGDSC02910.JPGDSC02909.JPGDSC02908.JPGDSC02911.JPG

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
While I know many are happy with their Speed Lingerie on their Ford GTs, I would still suggest that you put clear bra on the light covers of the headlamps and foglamps. Additionally, some are happy with clear bra on their windshields, and I would recommend it for all other leading edges - top of windshield, all 4 air scoops, rear portion of fender wells and rocker panels and doors up to the lower scoop line. Also recommend either the Stillen or High Road splash guards.

Last edited:

xrayman396

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2006
Bucks County Pa
found out that it addsto heat buildup om some shorter tracks , Summit point ,vir north . other than that love it.