Disable Motion Sensor for NFGT in Transit?

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
Hi all,

This is hopefully a very simple one but I've failed to find it so far from playing around or reading the manual.

What do you need to do to disable the motion sensors when you lock the car? I ask in regards to sending it off in transit for a few days but wanting it to be locked, but like I say I'm drawing blanks so far because normally there would be a physical button or something to control from the dash display (maybe there is and I just haven't found it yet!).

Thank you for any advice, Tim

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I’m not sure what to tell you. I have transported my NGT via truck and trailer a total of seven times and over 3400 miles with no issue. I simply do not lock the car doors with the key fob.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have done the same with my GT. Just haven’t locked the Car with the Key fob! In a trailer I usually leave the drivers window down. On one service occasion when the GT was brought back to me the truck driver opened the trailer and the alarm was going off and I realized he had locked the car with the key fob after loading the GT and the movement in the trailer set the alarm off. Fortunately it was for only a 30 minute trip but on a long trip the battery would have run down because of the alarm!

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
And that's exactly what I do normally as well, and it's probably done similar numbers of miles in trailers. This time around it's going by air cargo which takes a few days and many people have access to it, so I'd be more comfortable knowing nobody is getting inside etc which is why I'm trying to figure how to do it - there must be a way!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Tim, you might try this, open the window and lock the door manually from the inside then step away for a little bit. Come back and unlock the door from the inside open and open the door. If the alarm doesn't go off, you know all you have to do is lock the door manually shut the door with the window up and only the key fob will be able to unlock it. I would try it on my car but I'm not close enough.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
That sounds like quite a funky workaround!

I'm assuming I've explained what I mean properly but in most cars there is a physical button either in the door shut or on the roof liner light panel for example. In my other Fords it asks you on the display when you shut off the engine every time so you confirm with the OK button to disable it.

On the GT though... Nothing obvious at all.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Yeah, I figured you might have not been able to get an answer from the concierge which is probably the best source. Also, I'm not sure if you have a different alarm system than the US models either.
I do seem to remember something on the back menu with perimeter, but that may have been locks. I'll check what I can later when I get home.
Okay, update... Nothing I can see on the menu and the lock the door and shut it still sets the alarm. Sorry.

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I have done the same with my GT. Just haven’t locked the Car with the Key fob! In a trailer I usually leave the drivers window down. On one service occasion when the GT was brought back to me the truck driver opened the trailer and the alarm was going off and I realized he had locked the car with the key fob after loading the GT and the movement in the trailer set the alarm off. Fortunately it was for only a 30 minute trip but on a long trip the battery would have run down because of the alarm!

A few years ago I was at a regional Ferrari Club track event. A transporter truck hauled four Ferrari cars to the track. Three of the four cars in the trailer had their alarms blaring, when the cars were extracted, two had dead batteries. Someone, Perhaps the driver thought it best to lock the cars and drove for hours with the sirens blasting. From his cab, he had no clue. Lesson: Don’t set your alarm when transporting!

Reactions: THamonGT

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
It's going into the hold in about 6 hours so I've not got long to figure a way but will reach out to my contacts here in Europe and see what I can find out.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Isn't the magic to simply not lock the doors and potentially keep the key fob out of range. When my GT was delivered the driver had to move a car behind mine, but he had to get the keys from the truck. They had learned on this model that leaving the key in the car (even unlocked) caused battery drain.

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
For air freight the key has to travel on the windshield anyway so I guess this is all a moot point, it's loaded up to fly and is unlocked with a window open (again a legal requirement)

Reactions: THamonGT

Austinj427

Feb 12, 2018
Colorado
For air freight the key has to travel on the windshield anyway so I guess this is all a moot point, it's loaded up to fly and is unlocked with a window open (again a legal requirement)
Hoping everything goes well for the car.

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
Soon to be back in the USA!

9c3cdcae-4a4f-4db9-9cf9-f642a50259c5.jpg

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Looks good! My brother flies for Kalitta Charter. Good company. It should get there safely Shmee!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Wheel baskets wouldn’t work on that sled?

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
See post on Towing. "DO NOT put straps through any ( standard or CF ) wheel.)

Tangentially related? First Rally I went to, (Vegas) which was first experience with car carrier, left my EZPass on the windshield. Had a hell of a cross-country toll bill when I got back home. Took a long time, but EZpass was very good in getting credit back. Have been more careful since.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
See post on Towing. "DO NOT put straps through any ( standard or CF ) wheel.)

Tangentially related? First Rally I went to, (Vegas) which was first experience with car carrier, left my EZPass on the windshield. Had a hell of a cross-country toll bill when I got back home. Took a long time, but EZpass was very good in getting credit back. Have been more careful since.
Those are after market LOL

Reactions: Ed Sims

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Is it not one click on the remote lock locks the car and TWO clicks set the alarm?

Shmee150

GT Owner
Aug 28, 2018
London, UK
Is it not one click on the remote lock locks the car and TWO clicks set the alarm?

I think that's to do with whether the car can be unlocked from the internal handles as opposed to the motion sensor

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't think so. Try it. Read your owner's manual.