Development Cost To Ford to produce the Ford GT

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
A question that I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere so pardon me if it has been covered here.

With new regular models costing somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 mil to bring from sketch to showroom, does anyone have the # that the FGT cost to bring from sketch to showroom?

Best

Jeff

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
If you’re referring to the 05-06 models, it was not an expensive project by high-production new car standards. I know from talking to Raj at Rally 10 that they did make a profit on the run of 4030 cars. Not a big profit, but they produced a “halo car” and actually made money on it. I’ll guess the invoice to the dealers was around $140K, so the total revenue to Ford was about $560M. If 10% of that was initial development, then somewhere around $56M.

Some of the other guys here may know more about how much the program cost.

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
If you’re referring to the 05-06 models, it was not an expensive project by high-production new car standards. I know from talking to Raj at Rally 10 that they did make a profit on the run of 4030 cars. Not a big profit, but they produced a “halo car” and actually made money on it. I’ll guess the invoice to the dealers was around $140K, so the total revenue to Ford was about $560M. If 10% of that was initial development, then somewhere around $56M.

Some of the other guys here may know more about how much the program cost.

That would be incredibly cheap, (relatively speaking) if in fact the correct #. My guess is that after all said and done, Ford did make money but that they grossed 10% on the design, tooling, build and promo cost. I have zero facts, just my opinion, it would be an interesting factoid to confirm.

Best

Jeff

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Remember, this car was largely hand built in small teams, not on an assembly line with all the development, industrial design, and special tooling required for that kind of high-volume production. So compared to a high volume model, its development cost would be much cheaper, but its manufacturing cost much higher, requiring a higher price; which it did have.

Reactions: F Pilot

F Pilot

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2021
Toronto
Thanks for that Pete.

Best.
Jeff