Detailed charts: Percentage and number of each color and stripe configuration

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I clearly had too much time on my hands yesterday. Using the data from the book Ford GT, the complete owner's experience (if you don't have it, order it today- link below), I put the colors in Excel and broke them down a few different ways.

First, showing how many cars were produced in each color.

Second, breaking down the cars with roof stripes versus the cars without roof stripes. (Side note: the optional roof stripes are painted on, but the side stripes are vinyl so they can be relatively easily removed or added to any car.)

Third, breaking down all configurations and colors: Full stripes / Side stripes only / Stripe delete / Heritage scheme.

Fourth, breaking down the overview of how many total cars (in all colors) have Full stripes / Side stripes only / Stripe delete / Heritage scheme.

A couple notes-

This uses the 4033 total production number from the book. Other sources say 4038 cars, but I certainly haven't seen any data on the color of those five cars. Obviously, five more cars wouldn't significantly affect the percentages.

There was one blue car produced with silver stripes (actually just sold at BJ auction)- I didn't separate that from the other blue cars.

It's interesting that while the Heritage cars are clearly the most valuable, they are certainly not the most rare.

color 1.jpgcolor 2.jpgcolor 3.jpgstripe 1.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
interesting info as always from Centerpunch

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Raining (or snowing) in Ohio yesterday? Ha ha

Cool break down thanks for sharing.

I clearly had too much time on my hands yesterday.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
Awesome data. My dream GT is out there, albeit at only 2.78% of production.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Two things that jump out at me:
1. 541 Tungstens in 2006 makes it the highest production number in a single year other than red in the first year. I knew a lot of tungstens were made in 2006 but not that it was the second highest production.
2. On a related note, that’s almost 100 more tungstens in one year than Midnight Blues over both years. Not that I‘m biased or anything, but I’m always surprised how few blues were made of the 2005-2006 models. It’s not just a great color, but it’s BLUE and we’re talkin’ Ford here people!

Great info Centerpunch.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Great work.
Thank you!
Best,
Mark

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I clearly had too much time on my hands yesterday. Using the data from the book Ford GT, the complete owner's experience (if you don't have it, order it today- link below), I put the colors in Excel and broke them down a few different ways.

First, showing how many cars were produced in each color.

Second, breaking down the cars with roof stripes versus the cars without roof stripes. (Side note: the optional roof stripes are painted on, but the side stripes are vinyl so they can be relatively easily removed or added to any car.)

Third, breaking down all configurations and colors: Full stripes / Side stripes only / Stripe delete / Heritage scheme.

Fourth, breaking down the overview of how many total cars (in all colors) have Full stripes / Side stripes only / Stripe delete / Heritage scheme.

A couple notes-

This uses the 4033 total production number from the book. Other sources say 4038 cars, but I certainly haven't seen any data on the color of those five cars. Obviously, five more cars wouldn't significantly affect the percentages.

There was one blue car produced with silver stripes (actually just sold at BJ auction)- I didn't separate that from the other blue cars.

It's interesting that while the Heritage cars are clearly the most valuable, they are certainly not the most rare.

View attachment 59084View attachment 59085View attachment 59086View attachment 59087

Wait, aren't you supposed to be looking for a car to buy?

Good stuff, thanks.....good thing the fastest car is also the most plentiful....

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
The percentages help, but to really visualize the color distribution, imagine you were at a big car show (or auction lol) with 24 GT's that represented the total production.

There would be

7 red
4 white
3 tungsten
3 black
3 blue
2 Heritage
1 yellow
1 silver

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
To me, the second chart is the most meaningful. I don't think there's much difference between a stripe delete and a side stripe only car.

BTW, I don't see much evidence that rarity affects value. For example, although there are fewer no-stripe cars, there seem to be proportionately fewer buyers looking for those cars.

But if you're looking for a rare color/configuration, you may certainly have to look for a long time before one comes up for sale!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
A" STAT" not in the book because it was AFTER the build or at the very end...….
At least 12 to 16 GT's went back to Saleen from dealers who were allocated a car with NO STRIPES.
As the economy was on the verge of collapse they were considered "HARD SALE ". cars at the time as they sat on the dealers floor plan.
To try and sell them Saleen Painted stripes on them and it came with a SPECIAL letter saying the stripes were added from the FACTORY build team after the fact!
If I get time I think I have that letter somewhere...…..
P.S. Remember at the end of 2006 the HERITAGE was a HARD SALE as well as a memo went out o DISCOUNT THEM to get them off the floor plan!
My neighbor paid $115,000 for his heritage from a dealer who went bust in late 2007 and remember they were a additional 10,000 option on top of the base price.!
GTJOEY1314
You guys are right , the BOOK IS GREAT :)
Having fun......

Reactions: Iconic GT

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
To me, the second chart is the most meaningful. I don't think there's much difference between a stripe delete and a side stripe only car.

BTW, I don't see much evidence that rarity affects value. For example, although there are fewer no-stripe cars, there seem to be proportionately fewer buyers looking for those cars.

But if you're looking for a rare color/configuration, you may certainly have to look for a long time before one comes up for sale!
Lets face it,If you own a Ford GT of any flavor.You are always going to be the only guy on the block with one! As they say.There is no bad color FGT!

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
who use to run the numbers based on options, colors and option from 15 yr's ago was in Cobrar? while I have a 05 black w stripes , 1 of 132, I have 3 option which made the car less than 12

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Quickdraw, if I recall.

who use to run the numbers based on options, colors and option from 15 yr's ago was in Cobrar? while I have a 05 black w stripes , 1 of 132, I have 3 option which made the car less than 12

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Great info - thanks for sharing!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Mad......you going to Amelia? I got you beat ….Sonic Blue.....1
gtjoey1314

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
1. 541 Tungstens in 2006 makes it the highest production number in a single year other than red in the first year. I knew a lot of tungstens were made in 2006 but not that it was the second highest production.

I was surprised by that, too. And so................

Here's another graph (hold your applause). This shows percentages by year, plus the totals.

Ford GT color percentages v2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: extrap and DakotaGT

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Its funny in 2006 Tungsten was going to be the one year only rare color. Meanwhile the 2005 silver is so low and to me such a rich looking color.
There all great but that 2005 silver is very rich looking.
gtjoey1314

Reactions: extrap and ENZO BTR

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
How many Mirages were built? Were they all orange? Saw one in London years ago and it looked great, was a Brit company that took stock cars and converted them, I think

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ha, looks like I'm a "two percenter"....